Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Hobbit movies

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:01 AM

So am I the only person that's at least a little disappointed in the Hobbit movies so far? I mean ok they are really good-looking and there's all sorts of fast paced action and yes Smaug is really cool. However what dismays me is the liberties that Peter Jackson and crew have seemed to take with the story this time around. Maybe I wouldn't mind so much if they hadn't done such a fantastic job with the Lord of the Rings. I mean when I see a movie that's derived from a book I'm usually expecting at least somewhat of a let down but with LOTR they did such a fantastic job that differences that happened in the translation to the big screen in the end were just little nit-picky things that didn't really distract you from the enjoying the movies. With the Hobbit movies they seem to be using the original story as sort of a framework which then they just are stuffing and adding all sorts of extra story-lines, characters and adding dialog and time to existing scenes and changing some scenes for no apparent reason. That and they seem bound and determined to beat us over the head with creating connections between the Hobbit and LOTR. I mean I think it's pretty well understood that the Hobbit is a prequel to LOTR and they don't really need to spell out that connection every other scene. I don't know maybe Mr. Jackson just decided this time around that he was going to go for the big paycheck (extending the Hobbit to three movies instead of the original plan for two) by creating all sorts of filler rather than faithfully translating a beloved story to the big screen like he did with LOTR. Unfortunately the experience that I've had with both movies so far is that I'm getting distracted a lot by my brain going "hey wait a minute that's not right". And I even splurged on both and went out of my way to see them in 3-D IMAX and even that all encompassing experience wasn't enough to distract me from the way they seem to have just disregarded the integrity of the original story. Oh well, considering that LOTR were amazing achievements in movie-making I guess expecting the Hobbit movies to live up to that standard was probably expecting too much.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,981 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

I'm sure you understand movie's creator doesn't bound literally to books; it's always been talk from consumers how close or far the interpretation goes... and it will go again and again

personally, I'm attempting do "pre-tuning" to certain movies (after books) to treat the gigantic work of movie's crew; thinking - well, this is could be same story but a storyteller is other person - he have own vision and right to express it

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

So am I the only person that's at least a little disappointed in the Hobbit movies so far? I mean ok they are really good-looking and there's all sorts of fast paced action and yes Smaug is really cool. However what dismays me is the liberties that Peter Jackson and crew have seemed to take with the story this time around. Maybe I wouldn't mind so much if they hadn't done such a fantastic job with the Lord of the Rings. I mean when I see a movie that's derived from a book I'm usually expecting at least somewhat of a let down but with LOTR they did such a fantastic job that differences that happened in the translation to the big screen in the end were just little nit-picky things that didn't really distract you from the enjoying the movies. With the Hobbit movies they seem to be using the original story as sort of a framework which then they just are stuffing and adding all sorts of extra story-lines, characters and adding dialog and time to existing scenes and changing some scenes for no apparent reason. That and they seem bound and determined to beat us over the head with creating connections between the Hobbit and LOTR. I mean I think it's pretty well understood that the Hobbit is a prequel to LOTR and they don't really need to spell out that connection every other scene. I don't know maybe Mr. Jackson just decided this time around that he was going to go for the big paycheck (extending the Hobbit to three movies instead of the original plan for two) by creating all sorts of filler rather than faithfully translating a beloved story to the big screen like he did with LOTR. Unfortunately the experience that I've had with both movies so far is that I'm getting distracted a lot by my brain going "hey wait a minute that's not right". And I even splurged on both and went out of my way to see them in 3-D IMAX and even that all encompassing experience wasn't enough to distract me from the way they seem to have just disregarded the integrity of the original story. Oh well, considering that LOTR were amazing achievements in movie-making I guess expecting the Hobbit movies to live up to that standard was probably expecting too much.

He is taking one book and making three three hour movies where as he had three books to make three three hour movies the first go around. Not surprised at all.

With that said I know someone who things the lotr should have been 6 movies!

#4 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:57 PM

Actually I think my wife is the lucky one in this experience, because she hasn't read the book so she doesn't know any different and can just enjoy the movies for what they are.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,981 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

count me too :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...