Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RVU vs Client

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stevies3

Stevies3

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

Are C41/31 quicker than RVU? I find my Samsung RVU sets to be slow responsive and some times sluggish, would upgrading them to C41 clients solve this?

Edited by Stevies3, 29 December 2013 - 09:42 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

I have not used rvu, but the general consensus has been that they are slower. Sent from my Z10 using DBSTalk mobile app

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,289 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

agree with dpeters, I have installed a few of these myself and the results are not astonishing, at least not yet...

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,829 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:03 PM

Although the clients (both 31 and 41 models) are not speed demons they are more respectable than my HR22-100s. Understand RVU services are a component of the Client boxes as well but they have an advantage of being firmware updated much more in synch to their parent Genies.

Any command has to be sent from the client to the Genie which then has to respond to that command and distribute its results back to the client. In the case of my office C31 that's 95 feet to the SWM for the client leg and another 85 feet to the HR34 (a 360 line foot path out and back). Obviously the distance is mere milliseconds but there is a delay add nonetheless.

Another "issue" with non DirectTV RVU clients is that most all of them use a standard Ethernet Jack for their network services so the commands and content need to be converted back and forth between the fabrics as they move between parent/client. Again mere milliseconds but again another delay add. A C31 or 41 uses the same fabric (DECA) so things do not need converting back and forth.

I run a Frankenstein DirectTV infrastructure using dual SWM 16s. Part of my Whole Home fabric is DECA, part is switched Ethernet bridged by a CCK and the two fabrics integrate and operate transparently. It is likely the non cable/sat vendors will maintain the standard Ethernet jack for their inputs for cross compatibility with other devices while the cable and sat vendors have a vested interest in leveraging the coax they have to deploy for their services. A purpose built client by DirectTV will likely always have a performance edge over non DirectTV built ones. Though over time the performance gap may narrow as the RVU technology matures, right now we are still on the emerging end of this.

Please understand these are only my opinions and observations.

Don "I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn express though I did see the Brian Setzer Orchestra live last night" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#5 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

Before I migrated all my DIRECTV receivers to DECA I used my Ethernet network to connect all my receivers and really didn't notice any performance change once I did migrate to DECA. So based on that experience I think I can say that, at least with my Samsung RVU TV the network is not what causes a 3 second delay from when I hit skip back to when the TV/Genie actually do the skip. But back to the OP's question, I have a C41 connected to my RVU TV since I have just too many issues with the Samsung RVU client, the mini clients performance is MUCH better then the TV's client.

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,295 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:53 PM

Are C41/31 quicker than RVU? I find my Samsung RVU sets to be slow responsive and some times sluggish, would upgrading them to C41 clients solve this?

I think you'll find it quicker and more integrated, but not as fast as the server from which they come. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   Stevies3

Stevies3

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:57 PM

Is deca built in between a HR44 & a C41 client or do I need other additional hardware?

#8 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,829 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

It is built in to the Genies and the clients.

Don "and it works!" Bolton

Is deca built in between a HR44 & a C41 client or do I need other additional hardware?

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#9 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

Do DirecTV firmware updates to the Genie 'penetrate' to the Clients, or are the clients firmware updated 'directly' if you catch my drift ?  

or maybe this is better:

Does a DirecTV software update to the Genie take care of the attached clients to, or does DirecTV need to send them their own updates?

And then, the $64 question, is an RVU updated the same way, or does it update when the TV does via the Sammy website ??

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,289 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:15 PM

DirecTV can update the Genie but not the minis necessarily, but since DirecTV makes both they try to keep both in "sync" if you know what I mean.

RVU TVs must be update through the manufactures websites 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

The genie gets the client software, then sends it on to the client. I would expect the client would get fewer updates than the genie itself, due to the type of box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Protected By... spam firewall...And...