Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I can't schedule recordings remotely from my phone on my Directv DVR

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

I have an HR20 HD DVR.  I know I used to be able to schedule recording from my phone, but I haven't been able to lately. I tried to set up a football game while traveling yesterday (in Mexico on wifi if that matters) and when I got home, it wasn't recorded (the team I was rooting for lost so maybe it's a good thing).

Directv's site says the request goes through the satellite, so is the issue I was in Mexico?

I know it says it doesn't have to be connected to the internet for remote scheduling, but does this have anything to do with it - in the iPhone app, under my receivers, it shows my receiver, but it's greyed out and in the IP address section, it says, "Control Status: Blocking Access." The IP address is correct.

Do I need to open a port in my router? I tried searching online, but I can't find anything about that.

I just tried redoing the connection guide and it's using a different IP address, but it's still saying blocking access.

Any ideas? 

- Matt

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,589 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

sporting (live) are kind of iffy.  try setting a remote schedule with a "regular" show and see what happens

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   mtnagel

mtnagel

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

Not quite the answer I was looking for.  But yes, scheduling a regular show worked.  

So I really can't set up sports?  That's probably the most likely thing I would do.

I'm guessing my IP issue is separate then and has no effect on the remote scheduling, correct?

- Matt

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,589 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

Correct.  IP address has nothing to do with this.  all remote scheduling request are delivered via satellite to your DVR.  I think the issue relies on the metadata being send to your DVR.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   Fish628

Fish628

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:25 PM

may i jump in on this?
similarly, i can't access my receivers using the dtv iphone app... all my receivers show up on the list but none are connected, the phone app says receivers are not in home network... however at home, the list of recordings is available in all rooms in the house, and the dvr receiver says it is connected to the internet and tests good... 

it would seem that the receiver can get out to the internet (have no problem watching youtube vids) but the phone app cannot get into the receiver... 
i too was thinking that perhaps i have to open a port or the firewall, but there is no directv in my list of firewall exceptions and none of my receivers show up in my network neighborhood in my windows pc... 

am stumped...

Edited by Fish628, 08 March 2014 - 10:26 PM.

#6 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,614 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

Fish-

The iPhone app doesn't really connect to the receiver; it'll send a record request via WiFi that'll get converted to a sat signal that'll hit your box. 

Are you not able to record a (non-sports nor PPV nor OTA) program via the phone?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,589 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:13 PM

Fish-

The iPhone app doesn't really connect to the receiver;

it does, you even get a conflict message if there is one if you are in-home. or is that only DAFI

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall