Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Windows XP going end of life

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

I am looking at my desktop gizmo, and it is telling me that 99 days remain before Windows XP goes End-Of-Life and receives no more patches. Considering that the operating system has lasted 13 years, well.... and to think, 13 years prior to 2001 would be 1988.... time to wax nostalgic... or hear the whining of people and businesses who have "perfectly running why should I replace" several year old computers.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:50 AM

The new operating systems and chips are so much faster than the ones used when XP was being sold is reason enough to change.

I still have a machine with a Pentium 4 chip , 3 Ghz, 1 gig of ram and XP Pro on it. My machine I am on now is like a rabbit compared to a turtle as far as speed is concerned.

The new software has so much less problems with hangups and the dreaded blue screen that is frequent with XP it is reason enough to change.

My son bought a laptop for $249 on Good Friday. It will play an online game with Windows 8 and a Celeron ( bottom of the line ) chip in it that back when he used XP we had to purchase a $400 plus video card to get the game to play smoothly on it.

My opinion is that a company should change business PCs about every 5 years. The increase in speed and reliability pays for themselves.

Long ago when you could add a coprocessor to your machine I was designing a part and my boss wanted to put in his 2 cents worth. I had told him we should buy a chip and put in the machine and it would pay for itself. Back then the coprocessor was $100. Each time we would zoom into the area of the item we were working on in the CADD system it would take it 13 seconds to redraw all the lines. Then we would zoom out and see how it worked with the other parts. 13 seconds again. After sitting there with me all day he told me to get the chip since we spent most of the day waiting on the machine to redraw the lines.

I bought the chip and had it FED-X next day. It arrived about 8:30 and I shut down my machine and installed it. Now the zoom in and out took 4 seconds. That $100 chip almost tripled the work I could turn out on this one project.

The machine I am on now does that same operation  so fast you can not put a watch on it. It is instant.

Every now and then I crank up the old pc with the XP and the Pentium 4, 3Ghz processor and often wonder if it is broke before it finally gets up and running.

The one thing I do not like is that the new operating systems often obsolete your printers and scanners. Then again my old printer did 4 pages per minute and my new printer does 23 pages per minute. The new printer also is a scanner, copier, fax and printer and is capable of operating wirelessly. Of course I no longer work and do not care how fast my printer is but I do love the super fast new computers and operating systems.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,436 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:34 AM

I finally caved and updated my last two XP machines, a 2006 Thinkpad T60 I use every day and a 2007 Dell Inspiron I keep around as a spare. They both have the same dual-core Pentiums, but the Thinkpad has 2.5 gigs of memory and the Dell 2 gigs. I updated them both to Win 7 four years ago, but I didn't think either machine was as "snappy" running 7 as when it was running XP SP3, so I reverted back to XP. I did install Win 7 on my desktop PC, to keep at least one machine on the latest OS.

Now that support for XP is gone, I was forced to upgrade the laptops and I'm pleasantly surprised they no longer feel "slower" than XP. Makes me wonder if SP1 for Win 7 brought some performance enhancements along with it? Or perhaps the apps I run have been optimized since then? Either way, I'm a happy camper.

/steve

#4 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,193 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:37 AM

I had to install a VMware /  virtual 7 to run some programs that wouldn't install on the desktop of Win 8.1.  While Microsoft's Hyper-V is included on 8, it wouldn't allow the USB devices to work.

Speaking of XP, I spent the weekend getting a friend's old Dell / XP Home back up to find an old file.  Diskette / 20 GB drive / 256 MB RAM.  But the Dell was built like a brick house!

It didn't even have IE installed on it!  It was used around 2000 for a very specific office function.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#5 ONLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,427 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

I have an old HP/Compaq laptop that works well with XP, but can't be upgraded due to some hardware incompatibilities. I have an old Visioneer scanner hooked up to it, which is no longer supported. This scanner does a great job on negatives and slides. In addition, I have Works 2005 and Calendar Creator 12 installed, neither of which is supported on my desktop running Windows 8.1. I'll simply avoid going online with the laptop. I'll still be able to connect to my printers on my home network.

Problem solved.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#6 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

I have one old Dell Optiplex running XP Pro right now, on about .75GB RAm / 400MHz PII CPU. The ONLY reason it's even up at all right now is that is the only PC that can operate the old HP SCSI scanner. The wife's work PC, her home PC, and my desktop are all running Win7 Pro (mine 64 bit, her laptops 32 bit), and her netbook is running XP Home - haven't seriously checked if the netbook can run ANY version of Win7.

Edit

Well - it appears that a 32 bit version of Win7 can be installed on the Netbook - just got to find the money for it...

Edited by scooper, 30 December 2013 - 08:18 PM.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

If it's not connected to the Internet or internal network, there really isn't much risk.

The biggest issue will be that as fixes come out for Windows 7 etc, many of these issues will also affect XP. The bad guys will be able to figure out what the fix is for and exploit it in XP. It won't take much.

I've gotten rid of all my 2003 servers as well, thy are either on 2008 or 2012 now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

I'm doing a new backup of my mores files now, going to do Win 7 tomorrow. It would be so much easier if I could just upgrade. And I know that clean install is always better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#9 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

Upgraded the Netbook to Win7 Pro this weekend. Seems to be running as snappy as XP Home Premium for now. USB flash drive install for source. What would be cool is to find a 4GB DIMM of memory for that Lenovo S10.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

Upgraded the Netbook to Win7 Pro this weekend. Seems to be running as snappy as XP Home Premium for now. USB flash drive install for source. What would be cool is to find a 4GB DIMM of memory for that Lenovo S10.

Is that even possible? Crucial says max is 2gb for an IdeaPad S10.

#11 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,193 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

32 Bit Win 7 will only use 3 GB.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

And as I found out recently, even some 64 bit systems with 64 bit Windows.

#13 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

Is that even possible? Crucial says max is 2gb for an IdeaPad S10.

I think it would fit and work just fine. However - at a price of $99 , for the age of the system - not worth it for what we use the Netbook for (Internet access in the bedroom / on roadtrips).

#14 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,210 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

I just maxed RAM with 2gb Crucial on my trusty old Dell Latitude 610 running XP Pro SP3  -- also, replaced the HDD -- all for < $100.

Runs better than new.

Yay! :joy:

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#15 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

90 days to go....
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

Microsoft has also announced that Security Essentials for XP is being discontinued at the same time. After April 8, it will receive no definition updates or be available for download.

If someone absolutely has to use XP after April, please get a third party AV and do not use IE. Chrome will support XP until April 2015, and Firefox also will support it at least for a while. Those browsers will still get security updates.

I would advise moving to Windows 7 however. It's really just too risky, particularly after the next patch Tuesday rolls around.

And don't forget Office 2003, Exchange 2003. I believe Server 2003 gets updates until July 2015.

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

Pay ~$200 per machine for "Custom Support" from Microsoft and you can keep XP for another year. The charge for the second and third year will be higher.

The cost of an upgrade is cheaper for most business customers ... but if there was a mission critical program that had not been successfully rewritten for Win7 or Win8 it might be worth the cost to keep XP.

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

Pay ~$200 per machine for "Custom Support" from Microsoft and you can keep XP for another year. The charge for the second and third year will be higher.

I can see businesses going for the $200 per machine extended support rather than spending the money on a new machine with Windows 7, cost of training, cost of taking an employee out to attend such training, and reduced productivity. The way things are trending, it would not surprise me if most of what you need to do to accomplish your job is through a web browser and only if it's absolutely needed would there be a software package installed on your computer. This means that computing has come full circle: from terminals attached to mainframes, to independent computers, to cloud computing.

#19 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

The cost of an upgrade is cheaper for most business customers ... but if there was a mission critical program that had not been successfully rewritten for Win7 or Win8 it might be worth the cost to keep XP.

Though it's not quite that simple. Everything I've read, there is a fairly significant minimum and no cap. One company was quoted a million dollars for the first year, though this does work out to $200 a machine, $2 for the second and $5 for the third. Some smaller companies were quoted $600,000 for the first year.

#20 OFFLINE   Art7220

Art7220

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

I think XP will last a few more years based on this.

If you use Audacity on XP, you can copy audio from Youtube or other streaming sources. There is a Bug in 7 which does not allow you to do this. Unless one of you knows about a DLL file to modify to regain the ability.

spam firewall