Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Windows XP going end of life

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,646 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

Honestly, I'd try XP in a VM on 7.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,525 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

Looks like Microsoft backed-off killing Security Essentials updates for XP on the same date. They'll now continue to provide definitions through July of 2015.

http://thenextweb.co...14-2015/#!sjSY0

/steve

#23 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,646 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:14 AM

Looked at some of those comments, XP more stable than Windows 7? I've always found 7 very reliable, unless a company writes a bad driver or something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#24 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

7,audacity, and Youtube work together just fine on my pc.

chris

#25 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

Two issues for me:

I can hardly give up outlook express.

Is there a GOOD email program similar to it? I like writing off line, more importantly, sending out links of various web sites is a snap, and I do this often. It has to be close, I don't have the time to learn another all over again, LOL.

Also, the other person in the house plays older video games like COD and ww2 stuff. Don't know if this will work for him.

chris

#26 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:13 AM

Two issues for me:

Is there a GOOD email program similar to it? I like writing off line, more importantly, sending out links of various web sites is a snap, and I do this often. It has to be close, I don't have the time to learn another all over again, LOL.

Also, the other person in the house plays older video games like COD and ww2 stuff. Don't know if this will work for him.

When I got my new HP about 2 years ago with Windows 7 on it it did not have Outlook Express on it and I was upset.

I found this program called Windows Live Essentials and downloaded it and installed it.

http://windows.micro...live/essentials

It has plusses and minuses compared to Outlook Express. One minus is that when you put a link in it, it does not get underlined and therefore is not a link and just text, even with it in rich text mode. However, I have discovered if you get to the right end of it with the cursor and then hit enter it does underline it and turn it into a link.

A big plus is that ( I also got a Laptop close to the time I got the new HP desktop ) when I installed this onto the laptop, it picked up all my contacts and their information and the calendar stuff. If I remove or add a contact on one machine it is updated on the other.

You can add folders, make rules about emails and have them move directly from the Inbox to another folder determined by a rule you make up, etc.

It is very similar to Outlook Express.

You have to have Windows 7 or higher to use Windows Live Essentials.

Edited by jimmie57, 06 February 2014 - 06:15 AM.

• satcrazy likes this

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#27 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,646 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:14 AM

And for the old games, same advise as before, try an an XP VM or Windows 7 Pro or higher XP Mode if they don't work on Windows 7 itself.

#28 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

I know I read somewhere that running XP [ VM] or VM in 7 still exposes XP to viruses and of course, No updates.

Never ran a VM, but read about it, it can get snakey, I understand.

J57, I will look at W live, thanks........

chris

#29 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,304 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

Exposure to viruses under  a VM should be minimal, if you're not using email or a lot of surfing.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#30 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,646 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:31 PM

Just thought of something, XP Mode may not be the best option, no 3D hardware acceleration. Virtualbox does support that (free download, you must provide the XP disc and license).

If the XP VM doesn't need network or Internet access, you can turn that off. So at that point you have a standalone XP machine that can't access anything. Hard for a hacker to get into or get a virus.

And of course you can use Firefox or Chrome (which aren't dropping XP support yet) and a third party AV after Microsoft drops Security Essentials support in 2015.

#31 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

Just finished updating my old desktop with all the Windows update and the updates to the updates and the optional updates.

Then I moved on to the security updates, Java, Adobe Reader.

Ran a full scan.

Holey Moley, 4 hours. That thing is slow. We have fast internet, Comcast 50 Mbps so the download time was minimal.

It had been about 6 months since I was on it.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#32 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,646 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

Just finished updating my old desktop with all the Windows update and the updates to the updates and the optional updates.
Then I moved on to the security updates, Java, Adobe Reader.
Ran a full scan.
Holey Moley, 4 hours. That thing is slow. We have fast internet, Comcast 50 Mbps so the download time was minimal.
It had been about 6 months since I was on it.

Don't forget Flash if it's installed, they had an out of band security update.

I like a program from Secunia, PSI. Free personal scanner that checks for security updates or end of life status for all your apps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#33 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,216 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

I think XP will last a few more years based on this.

If you use Audacity on XP, you can copy audio from Youtube or other streaming sources. There is a Bug in 7 which does not allow you to do this. Unless one of you knows about a DLL file to modify to regain the ability.

Audacity lets me capture audio on Windows 8.1. I haven't tried this on my Windows 7 laptop.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#34 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

Two issues for me:

I've been very happy with Thunderbird as my e-mail client for many years. I hardly ever used Outlook Express, so can't vouch for its similarity to Thunderbird.

Bill

#35 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,304 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:35 AM

I haven't been able to get Audacity to record from on-line audio on Win 8.1.  Haven't spent a lot of time with it - is there any quick fix?

#36 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,646 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

I'd think this kind of function could be affected by drivers as well.

#37 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,304 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

A quick google found that you need to enable 'Stereo Mix' in the Sound / Recording.  Didn't see it but a Right-click showed disabled items.

Thanks for reminding me that I hadn't looked!

#38 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,646 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:43 PM

A compatibility update was released today for 8.1 that includes Audacity, though it really only has to do with Skydrive/OneDrive.

#39 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

I haven't been able to get Audacity to record from on-line audio on Win 8.1.  Haven't spent a lot of time with it - is there any quick fix?

Audacity 2.0.4 is working for me on Win 8.1 and records on-line audio with no special set-up needed.

Bill

#40 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

I find it suspect -that my XP machines would not work with win7 when first released and would need to be trashed (however) now all of a sudden My same xp machines can now suddenly work if I pay to install win7 32 bit on them- very strange?

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

spam firewall