Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Windows XP going end of life

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

I find it suspect -that my XP machines would not work with win7 when first released and would need to be trashed (however) now all of a sudden My same xp machines can now suddenly work if I pay to install win7 32 bit on them- very strange?

What told you they wouldn't work? It's also possible that when Win7 was first released, there weren't compatible drivers, but drivers eventually came out and compatibility matrices updated.

• satcrazy likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 733 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

A quick google found that you need to enable 'Stereo Mix' in the Sound / Recording.  Didn't see it but a Right-click showed disabled items.

Thanks for reminding me that I hadn't looked!

Had this same issue at first. Kept playing with the settings, and there it was. Viola!

The older version I have on XP didn't have that issue. So it was a small learning curve. I love audacity. Captures audio in W7 just fine.

Now I just need to try some of those older games on my new pc with 7 to see if I'm concerned over nothing....

Edited by satcrazy, 13 February 2014 - 03:41 PM.

chris

#43 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 733 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

OK,

I just installed windows live essentials for email.

So far, it isn't that difficult.

However, when I try to send link by mail on IE, the page drop down [ top right corner] the "send link" or "send page" is grayed out.

This is a must have for me as it worked perfectly in XP with outlook.

After I downloaded and went to install, I had the option of what to install. I only picked Mail, since I didn't see the need for the other programs. I wonder if I needed something else besides mail?

Any ideas? I hate not having that option.

chris

#44 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

What told you they wouldn't work? It's also possible that when Win7 was first released, there weren't compatible drivers, but drivers eventually came out and compatibility matrices updated.

When I ran the MS app on each machine to test if my machine was compatible -Can back with hardware was not acceptable -Now years latter and the app says it will work

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#45 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 733 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

When I got my new HP about 2 years ago with Windows 7 on it it did not have Outlook Express on it and I was upset.

I found this program called Windows Live Essentials and downloaded it and installed it.

http://windows.micro...live/essentials

It has plusses and minuses compared to Outlook Express. One minus is that when you put a link in it, it does not get underlined and therefore is not a link and just text, even with it in rich text mode. However, I have discovered if you get to the right end of it with the cursor and then hit enter it does underline it and turn it into a link.

A big plus is that ( I also got a Laptop close to the time I got the new HP desktop ) when I installed this onto the laptop, it picked up all my contacts and their information and the calendar stuff. If I remove or add a contact on one machine it is updated on the other.

You can add folders, make rules about emails and have them move directly from the Inbox to another folder determined by a rule you make up, etc.

It is very similar to Outlook Express.

You have to have Windows 7 or higher to use Windows Live Essentials.

Thanks  a lot for the tip on the enabling the link to become "clickable". [ works well]

I first had to figure out how to set livemail as the default client to enable the page menu in IE to work.

I got it. [ must be in admin mode, start menu, default programs," set program access and computer defaults", choose livemail as client, reboot pc.

So far I'm liking livemail. Thanks for the download link!

chris

#46 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,483 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:21 PM

Thanks  a lot for the tip on the enabling the link to become "clickable". [ works well]

I first had to figure out how to set livemail as the default client to enable the page menu in IE to work.

I got it. [ must be in admin mode, start menu, default programs," set program access and computer defaults", choose livemail as client, reboot pc.

So far I'm liking livemail. Thanks for the download link!

You are welcome. Glad it is working for you.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#47 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

When I ran the MS app on each machine to test if my machine was compatible -Can back with hardware was not acceptable -Now years latter and the app says it will work

I'm not surprised, drivers updated, hardware certified for 7, etc.

#48 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

I find it suspect -that my XP machines would not work with win7 when first released and would need to be trashed (however) now all of a sudden My same xp machines can now suddenly work if I pay to install win7 32 bit on them- very strange?

Can work or does work?

Give us some details on your XP machine.

I finally replaced my 7-year-old HP Pavilion running XP with a new HP Pavilion with Windows 8 (now upgraded to 8.1) last year.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#49 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

Can work or does work?

Give us some details on your XP machine.

I finally replaced my 7-year-old HP Pavilion running XP with a new HP Pavilion with Windows 8 (now upgraded to 8.1) last year.

Using the same MS app - Before I didn't have enough memory 2-gig - hardware (chipset) wasn't robust enough - Dell Insp laptop 9100(2004) - MS app Now proclaims can work just fine for win7. 32 bit. So I will just limp along till win 9 comes out - using chrome and norton should last.

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#50 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 733 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

has anyone heard if there will be a round up cd of security updates? I think MS did this for other OS in the past.

Id like to keep one computer with XP.

chris

#51 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,449 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

Sigh ... My aged HP laptop can't be upgraded from XP. It is maxed out with 1 gig of ram and a bigger hard drive and use it with a Visioneer scanner that is not  supported by later releases of Windows, so can't use it with my desktop. My small form factor computer with 2 gig of ram was recently upgraded to Windows 7. When I went to start it the other day, it wouldn't power up.

I'm about to make the Linux plunge with my laptop, having burned a DVD with Ubuntu 12.04 and will try it out without installing it on the hard drive.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#52 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,449 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

There may be hope. PCWorld tech notes today quoted the Verge, ZDNet and Microsoft itself that a new release of Windows 8.1 is scheduled for April 8. One of the improvements is the ability for Windows 8.1 to run on a system with ONE GIG of ram. :joy:

http://www.pcworld.c...tml#tk.nl_today

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#53 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,862 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:03 AM

Thirty days to go before.... the end.... of support.

Attached Thumbnails

• Windows XP 30 Days.png

"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#54 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,577 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

Pretty good opinion piece, IMO, on why Microsoft should continue to patch XP.

http://www.computerw...25&pageNumber=1

/steve

#55 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:58 AM

But how long would they extend support? If they extended it another 5 years, how many would still use XP after that's up? or 10?

They can't continue support indefinitely.

Now, here is a bit of a controversial opinion. On last weeks Security Now, Steve Gibson said he was't too concerned, and the only reason that security updates are needed are to protect the user from themselves. There is some truth to that. If you use a third party browser, run something like noscript, don't have Java or flash in the browser and don't open attachments etc, while running as a regular user instead of admin, your chances of an issue are fairly low. But most don't have that kind of discipline, especially on a shared system.

#56 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,577 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

Regarding Gibson's comments, that opinion piece author fears that new patches to Windows 7 and 8 might allow XP hackers to find even more XP vulnerabilities to exploit. His feeling is that, as a result, Windows in general will get a reputation as being insecure, despite Microsoft claiming it's only XP you have to worry about. If he's right, it could be a PR nightmare for Microsoft.
/steve

#57 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

Oh, there is no doubt that many vulnerabilities fixed in Windows 7 affect XP. But a large number, especially with IE require admin rights.

Personally, I think how Apple does it is worse. They don't really say when security updates will stop. They just stop.

#58 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,692 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

Oh, there is no doubt that many vulnerabilities fixed in Windows 7 affect XP. But a large number, especially with IE require admin rights.

Personally, I think how Apple does it is worse. They don't really say when security updates will stop. They just stop.

Amen to that.

Running Windows 8.1 now on a tablet for rthan 4 months and very impressed on the updates to date...and security is a constant focus.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#59 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

I think a lot of people that say they hate 8 haven't tried it, or tried it with a simple change. I never see the start screen unless I want to.

#60 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,577 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

I think a lot of people that say they hate 8 haven't tried it, or tried it with a simple change. I never see the start screen unless I want to.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against upgrading. I'm just saying if I was a Microsoft shareholder, I'd be concerned for the reasons stated in that opinion piece.

/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...