Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Windows XP going end of life

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 858 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

Pretty good opinion piece, IMO, on why Microsoft should continue to patch XP.

http://www.computerw...25&pageNumber=1

I agree. I used Windows 7. XP is much better than Windows 7. One biggie is the email programme within Windows 7. Outlook Exoress s much better.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

Edited by SeaBeagle, 08 April 2014 - 07:59 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,505 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:14 AM

I'll ignore the outlook express comment, but how long should Microsoft continue to patch XP, another 5 years, 10? This date has been known for a long time.

And they are still patching it's just not for us.

Governments and large companies can give them a bunch of money and they will get critical patches.

The other interesting bit in this is that Server 2003 is supported until July 2015. While of course there are differences, XP and 2003 share a lot of files.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#78 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,828 posts
  • LocationLower Westchester County, NY

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:23 AM

I agree. I used Windows 7. XP is much better than Windows 7. One biggie is the email programme within Windows 7. Outlook Exoress s much better.

Actually the point of that article wasn't that XP was superior, it was that Windows' reputation was at stake. The author fears that from a marketing standpoint, uneducated consumers may believe that all versions of Windows are insecure, even if it's only XP that's seriously compromised.

/steve

#79 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:49 AM

Using the same MS app - Before I didn't have enough memory 2-gig - hardware (chipset) wasn't robust enough - Dell Insp laptop 9100(2004) - MS app Now proclaims can work just fine for win7. 32 bit. So I will just limp along till win 9 comes out - using chrome and norton should last.

UPDATE :

With the EOL of XP (today) During the month of march I upgraded 3 of my XPsp3 Old Dell Machines to Win7 Pro SP1-32bit (DVD) - First was Pentium 4 Cpu 2.4ghz 1 gig Ram 300 gig Hd - Second was Pentium 4 3.2 ghz 2 Gig Ram -160 gig HD - Third was Pentium 4 3.2 ghz 4 Gig Ram 300 Gig HD - 

What you will need a USB DVD Burner/Recorder ($20) - Possible C-sub USB Audio ($3)(explain later)
I ordered everything from Amazon - Back in 2009 Win& was released and No of my PC's Would upgrade according to MS - Now 4 Yrs later that is not true Reason Most of the Vendors upgraded Drivers for Vista & Win7 Most of the drivers included in the Win7 pro - After doing MS updates after install completes Will Work with your PC.

The DVD Does Something really Slick it saves ALL your WinXP data on your HD in a New folder windows.old SO you can go back after it finishes and copy your Pictures ,Doc's re-run your programs fro the setup.exe files and it will install those into the new operating system. ( However) as always you should back up your stuff before anyway smiley.gif

The cost for everything (excluding) your time (please wait) $160 Way less than throwing out your old PC and buying New - And you won't have to worry about Flaws in XP going forward being exposed.

The Usb Sound I only needed on my 2001 Dell 4500 My Sound card was MFD in 2005 SO no driver plugged it in and I now have sound to my Speakers.

The reason I suggest WIN7 Pro 32 bit is because it will allow you to run older programs in XP mode should you need that feature.

Yes- I had to buy 3 Copies of Win7 one for each PC -But  only one DVD Player/Burner- to use as a reader for the instal is was heart burn Free and I can still surf and email and poke around  --Good luck

"Let's Have Some Fun!"
SL-5, SWM-16, (2) HR22-100, (1) H21-200, (1) H20-100, (1) HR44-200, (1) CCK

#80 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,505 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:18 AM

XP Mode follows the same end of life as XP, but obviously it's much better to use it this way then as the primary OS.

#81 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,505 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

I've given this some more thought and for anyone with a bit of knowledge, one alternative would be to give Linux Mint a try. Based on Ubuntu, it's a pretty easy Linux distro to use and includes more things out of the box, like Adobe Flash. At the end of May, their next long term support version comes out, Qiana, supported until April 2019.

You can boot to a Live CD without affecting Windows to try it out. Plus, it's free. While Windows apps generally won't work (with some exceptions), Linux generally has alternatives. Apps like Firefox have a separate Linux version.

#82 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 858 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:28 PM

I am still keeping XP. The reason AX is not being supporters anymore is because Microsoft wants to increase sales of Windows 7 and Windows 8. Never used Windows 8.

Just a marketing plan.

• Dude111 likes this

#83 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,505 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

OS's generally go end of life at some point with no further updates. Even free ones, where there is no financial incentive. Microsoft has done this for a very long time, NT 4, Windows 2000, Windows 95 etc etc.

If they decided to end XP support in another 5 years, 15 years after the OS was released, would it still be a marketing ploy?

#84 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

An Awesome Dude

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

I am still keeping XP. The reason AX is not being supporters anymore is because Microsoft wants to increase sales of Windows 7 and Windows 8. Never used Windows 8.

Indeed it is.... It is unreal seeing so many ppl falling for the scare tactics!!!!

Its quite disturbing seeing so many NOT HAVE THIER OWN MINDS!!

#85 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 858 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

OS's generally go end of life at some point with no further updates. Even free ones, where there is no financial incentive. Microsoft has done this for a very long time, NT 4, Windows 2000, Windows 95 etc etc.

If they decided to end XP support in another 5 years, 15 years after the OS was released, would it still be a marketing ploy?

No reason to end support for any working version of Windows.

#86 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

Indeed it is.... It is unreal seeing so many ppl falling for the scare tactics!!!!

Its quite disturbing seeing so many NOT HAVE THIER OWN MINDS!!

Support is one thing -Personal Security is another - The world has changed since XP first issued in 2001. Keep using it at your own risk or go the "free ware" route YMMV

"Let's Have Some Fun!"
SL-5, SWM-16, (2) HR22-100, (1) H21-200, (1) H20-100, (1) HR44-200, (1) CCK

#87 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,560 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

I don't mind them ending support.  I don't know where the line in the sand should be, but it is well before infinity!

What I *would* mind, however... is if they end-of-life something like XP and don't provide a way for existing legal owners to install/re-install/activate their software.

The requirement for online activation creates a different scenario than "support" in my mind...  No legal requirement, mind you, just a "it's good for business" requirement.

In the old days, you could choose not to update the operating system BUT your existing operating system would continue to work at whatever bug/patch level it was as long as you had the hardware to run it.  And you could wipe and re-install to your heart's content.

XP even had deals where a re-install wasn't the trigger for re-activation... swapping enough other components (memory, hard drive, etc.) could trigger the need to reactivate... so imagine yourself with a perfectly running XP system today... they drop support tomorrow... and you have to replace a failed hard drive... then are prompted to re-activate, only you can't because Microsoft has taken the activation servers online.

I might be missing something.. and honestly I only have one PC I think that still runs XP and I haven't used that PC in years... but I haven't heard/seen anything regarding how Microsoft is going to handle that after end-of-life for XP.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

#88 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,690 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

In the old days, you could choose not to update the operating system BUT your existing operating system would continue to work at whatever bug/patch level it was as long as you had the hardware to run it.  And you could wipe and re-install to your heart's content.

XP even had deals where a re-install wasn't the trigger for re-activation... swapping enough other components (memory, hard drive, etc.) could trigger the need to reactivate... so imagine yourself with a perfectly running XP system today... they drop support tomorrow... and you have to replace a failed hard drive... then are prompted to re-activate, only you can't because Microsoft has taken the activation servers online.

I would not expect it to work ... but I may give it a try. I have a XP box that needs a new HD (and may get Win7 if XP doesn't load). It is not a machine that normally touches the internet (beyond an hourly time check) so if it stays XP it should be OK.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#89 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,017 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

Just a marketing plan.

Ackkk... you just gave me flashbacks of a DBSTalk thread last year where DirecTV was discontinuing the legacy "Master Program Guide" (MPG), and several folks were even rejecting the free upgrade.

Any time you computer interacts with the outside world, it is subject to a security thread, whether it be from Floppy discs, USB drives, or browsing the Internet. Anyone want to care to guess how many security patches and hotfixes were released in that time span? Now, consider some of the end users who use computers, and your hair should stand on end.

I see that you are using an Apple product. During Windows XP's timespan, Apple released OS X 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9. Anything prior to OS X 10.7, which was released on July 20, 2011, is now in a "unsupported" state with Apple. Also, during that timespan, Apple switched from the PowerPC to the Intel processor platform, and there was a lot of incompatible software as a result.

On thing to be aware of is that Microsoft announced end of support for XP back in 2007 and that support was originally going to end in 2010 before it got pushed back to 2014. In addition, end of sale for Windows XP was 2008/2009. Five to seven years is a good lifespan for a computer.

If you ever dealt with software development, either from a support perspective or from a programming perspective, then you would know how much costs increase when you have to support multiple operating systems and multiple configuration. The APIs and libraries for Windows XP are different from Windows Vista/7/8, not to mention that you have to check for 32 bit compatibility as well as 64 bit compatibility. The more you have to test and validate, the more expensive it becomes. And, too many people stuck with Internet Explorer 6 for a long time which came with Windows XP. Ask any web programmer what it was like to program in compatibility with Internet Explorer 6 style sheets, and they are like to respond in swear words.

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#90 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,456 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

than

~ 13 Years on DBSTalk ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#91 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,560 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

During Windows XP's timespan, Apple released OS X 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9. Anything prior to OS X 10.7, which was released on July 20, 2011, is now in a "unsupported" state with Apple. Also, during that timespan, Apple switched from the PowerPC to the Intel processor platform, and there was a lot of incompatible software as a result.

On thing to be aware of is that Microsoft announced end of support for XP back in 2007 and that support was originally going to end in 2010 before it got pushed back to 2014. In addition, end of sale for Windows XP was 2008/2009. Five to seven years is a good lifespan for a computer.

I get the dropping of support.  I have no issues with that.  Using your Apple example, though..  If I have old hardware and legal copies of those older non-supported Apple OS, there would be nothing to prevent me from installing and using those older operating systems.

But Windows XP required online activation...  I suspect that will no longer be possible, in which case Microsoft will have retroactively rendered XP useless... whereas you could still install and use a similarly non-supported Windows 2000.

Someone on Windows XP doesn't have the right to support forever... but they ought to be able to expect the software to still be usable at whatever stage of support it last was released.

Maybe Microsoft is going to do this... but I haven't seen anything official about it.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#92 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,095 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:24 AM

IMHO their inline services should just kick back a blanket ok for anyone trying to install xo now and be done with it. No reason not to even if it was an illegal copy since it's no longer supported and no way someone is buying it new today.

#93 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,505 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:12 AM

No reason to end support for any working version of Windows.

What's the definition of working? Windows 3.1 "works" on the right hardware. Should Microsoft be responsible for still updating it, answering the phones with tech support calls? I don't know of any software company that supports every version of software they've written for all time. Ubuntu no longer supports Hardy Heron, and that was a long term support version. They now support non LTS versions for only 9 months, and this is a freely available OS.

I hope those of you that still think XP is the best OS, that you don't think IE6 is the best browser...

As for activations, Microsoft has said they are not shutting down the activation servers, and that all released patches will still be available through Windows Update. Though, that's if you activate online. If you can't activate through the Internet and have to call, I'm not sure what the status is there.

#94 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,560 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

That's good to know.  To me, that's all I ask...  that they not break their own activation service.  I wouldn't expect them to otherwise support XP until the end of time.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#95 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,505 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:39 PM

Oh, at some point I'm sure the servers will go away, but probably a long time.

#96 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,345 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

Microsoft has also announced that Security Essentials for XP is being discontinued at the same time. After April 8, it will receive no definition updates or be available for download.

got April 10th virus def upgrade

#97 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:39 PM

I agree. I used Windows 7. XP is much better than Windows 7. 

Until Monday the two PCs in my home were XP, now upgraded to 8.1, and W7 Home Premium. I found the XP painful to use compared to W7 and the upgrade to 8.1 sped it up considerably. 

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and 50/5 Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#98 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,505 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:15 PM

got April 10th virus def upgrade

Well, to be fair, they changed things after I posted that in January. New date is July 2015.

#99 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 858 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:07 PM

Well, to be fair, they changed things after I posted that in January. New date is July 2015.

My computer last night had some new updates.

#100 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,505 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:38 PM

Yes, Security Essentials is still supported. But this Tuesday was the last for XP, Office 2003 and IE for XP.

If you got updates other than these, I would really like to know. It affects a bet I have at work.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...