Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Windows XP going end of life

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 784 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

there is a classic shell that can be downloaded to eight if you dislike that metro look.

Cholly, did you check your power supply?  I hear linux mint is suppose to be pretty good.

I'm po'd that security essentials won't be supported for xp. Between that, firefox. and password protecting everything, I thought I could use xp a little longer on a older IBM that just keeps chugging along. I think it's too old to invest 7 for it, i may be looking at linux as well.

Shame.

chris

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,286 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

I'm po'd that security essentials won't be supported for xp. Between that, firefox. and password protecting everything, I thought I could use xp a little longer on a older IBM that just keeps chugging along. I think it's too old to invest 7 for it, i may be looking at linux as well.

Shame.

Security Essentials support ends July 2015.

Mint is good, based on Ubuntu but try a live CD first to make sure all your hardware works. Drivers can be an issue, especially on a laptop.

#63 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,479 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

Regrding power supply on my small form factor computer. Yes, it could be bad. Its tough to check since components are so tightly packed. If it is indeed bad, no replacement is available. the supply is a 250 watt compact supply by Enhance. There are no supplies of that form factor currently available.

Re: Linux - yep, I've burned a DVD with Ubuntu and intend to run from the DVD. I'm worried about driver issues on the laptop, and as a last resort, will simply use it without internet access.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#64 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 784 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

cholly- check serversupply.com, I've had good luck with them.

dpeters- Microsoft stated they will partially support essentials, if it is already installed [ If you don't have it and want it, get it now]

http://windows.micro...nd-support-help

Your right about drivers and programs compatability for linux, the only reason more people don't leave MS behind IMOP. :nono2:  I tried an old Ubuntu live cd it was pretty easy to navigate.

chris

#65 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

I tried Windows 8 preview as a dual boot on my Windows 7 laptop. I wasn't too impressed.

However, I bought a Windows 8 HP Pavilion with 8 GB memory and was totally impressed. 8.1 is even better. I have set it to boot to the desktop. I have a couple Tile programs that I run once in a while, most often it's the Kindle Reader and the Weather app.

My XP desktop is in the closet for now. Eventually I'll clean everything off it and donate it locally.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#66 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:55 PM

My XP desktop is in the closet for now. Eventually I'll clean everything off it and donate it locally.

I would recommend using a utility like DBAN to wipe clean the HDD very thoroughly before you donate it.  

#67 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,286 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

Ok, so here I was so concentrated on XP, I missed that Microsoft is ending support for MAPI at the same time. Looks like I need to get going on migrating my Good server over to EWS.

Office 2003 also ends if anyone actually uses that.

#68 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

I would recommend using a utility like DBAN to wipe clean the HDD very thoroughly before you donate it.  

Thanks for the suggestion. That's exactly what I was going to use and what I meant when I said "clean it off."

• coolman302003 likes this
Bill

#69 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

Office 2003 also ends if anyone actually uses that.

I am still using Visio 2003 on my Win 8.1 desktop. Upgrade is just too costly for the limited use I make of the program.

Bill

#70 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,286 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

I am still using Visio 2003 on my Win 8.1 desktop. Upgrade is just too costly for the limited use I make of the program.

I think you're most likely OK. The real issue becomes when your email program uses Word as the editor, or opening malicious office attachments.

#71 ONLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,906 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:23 AM

Today is the day Windows XP support end. This also means that Internet Explorer 6 and Office 2003 is end-of-life as well.

Good riddence Internet Explorer 6.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#72 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,286 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:14 AM

As well as IE 7 and 8 for XP. A more little known end of support today is MAPI, but if you don't know what that is, you're not affected most likely.

If anyone still uses XP and can't upgrade to 7, please add a separate administrator account and make the one you use normally a limited user. Then stop using IE wherever possible and use either Chrome or Firefox. Security Essentials will get updates until July 2015, but I'd consider a third party AV.

• chevyguy559 likes this

#73 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 712 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

If anyone still uses XP and can't upgrade to 7, please add a separate administrator account and make the one you use normally a limited user. Then stop using IE wherever possible and use either Chrome or Firefox. Security Essentials will get updates until July 2015, but I'd consider a third party AV.

Well said, here's a simple and easy way to disable IE just in case its accidentally used....

http://www.techsuppo...et_explorer.htm

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#74 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,079 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

Oh, so that is why we got the "end of life" popup on a few remaining work XP machines.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#75 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,774 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:23 PM

Forgive me for being lazy... but did they say anything about XP Activation going forward?

I get that they wouldn't support or fix bugs on the operating system... but for people/companies that have a stable setup and don't need support or upgrades... will they be unable to reinstall XP going forward?  I assume the activation servers will be gone.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#76 ONLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 663 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

Pretty good opinion piece, IMO, on why Microsoft should continue to patch XP.

http://www.computerw...25&pageNumber=1

I agree. I used Windows 7. XP is much better than Windows 7. One biggie is the email programme within Windows 7. Outlook Exoress s much better.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

Edited by SeaBeagle, 08 April 2014 - 07:59 PM.

#77 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,286 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:14 AM

I'll ignore the outlook express comment, but how long should Microsoft continue to patch XP, another 5 years, 10? This date has been known for a long time.

And they are still patching it's just not for us.

Governments and large companies can give them a bunch of money and they will get critical patches.

The other interesting bit in this is that Server 2003 is supported until July 2015. While of course there are differences, XP and 2003 share a lot of files.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#78 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,643 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:23 AM

I agree. I used Windows 7. XP is much better than Windows 7. One biggie is the email programme within Windows 7. Outlook Exoress s much better.

Actually the point of that article wasn't that XP was superior, it was that Windows' reputation was at stake. The author fears that from a marketing standpoint, uneducated consumers may believe that all versions of Windows are insecure, even if it's only XP that's seriously compromised.

/steve

#79 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:49 AM

Using the same MS app - Before I didn't have enough memory 2-gig - hardware (chipset) wasn't robust enough - Dell Insp laptop 9100(2004) - MS app Now proclaims can work just fine for win7. 32 bit. So I will just limp along till win 9 comes out - using chrome and norton should last.

UPDATE :

With the EOL of XP (today) During the month of march I upgraded 3 of my XPsp3 Old Dell Machines to Win7 Pro SP1-32bit (DVD) - First was Pentium 4 Cpu 2.4ghz 1 gig Ram 300 gig Hd - Second was Pentium 4 3.2 ghz 2 Gig Ram -160 gig HD - Third was Pentium 4 3.2 ghz 4 Gig Ram 300 Gig HD - 

What you will need a USB DVD Burner/Recorder ($20) - Possible C-sub USB Audio ($3)(explain later)
I ordered everything from Amazon - Back in 2009 Win& was released and No of my PC's Would upgrade according to MS - Now 4 Yrs later that is not true Reason Most of the Vendors upgraded Drivers for Vista & Win7 Most of the drivers included in the Win7 pro - After doing MS updates after install completes Will Work with your PC.

The DVD Does Something really Slick it saves ALL your WinXP data on your HD in a New folder windows.old SO you can go back after it finishes and copy your Pictures ,Doc's re-run your programs fro the setup.exe files and it will install those into the new operating system. ( However) as always you should back up your stuff before anyway smiley.gif

The cost for everything (excluding) your time (please wait) $160 Way less than throwing out your old PC and buying New - And you won't have to worry about Flaws in XP going forward being exposed.

The Usb Sound I only needed on my 2001 Dell 4500 My Sound card was MFD in 2005 SO no driver plugged it in and I now have sound to my Speakers.

The reason I suggest WIN7 Pro 32 bit is because it will allow you to run older programs in XP mode should you need that feature.

Yes- I had to buy 3 Copies of Win7 one for each PC -But  only one DVD Player/Burner- to use as a reader for the instal is was heart burn Free and I can still surf and email and poke around  --Good luck

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#80 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,286 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:18 AM

XP Mode follows the same end of life as XP, but obviously it's much better to use it this way then as the primary OS.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...