Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Windows XP going end of life

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,310 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:05 PM

Microsoft is cutting the price of XP support, one company got an $82 million discount. There is a required migration plan with milestones to get off xp. Also not available for small businesses or consumers.

http://www.zdnet.com...hes-7000028512/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,098 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:23 PM

True. The evil tech giant Microsoft is working with their major customers, those with thousands or tens of thousands of machines, to migrate them off of XP on to WIN 7 or other platforms. The "migrate off" is a key part of the deal.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#123 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,310 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:17 AM

Right, and while some would say its to get income from sales of the newer os's, these companies have owned windows 7 for years.

And for those that want off XP but need a cheap system that will get updates for a long time, the new version of Ubuntu LTS was just released. Free and will get updates for 5 years though they release new non LTS versions twice a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#124 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,098 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

There are industry specific programs that have only just reached compatibility with Windows 7. While it would be nice for all software to remain ahead of the curve there is plenty of mission critical software where if you run it you DO NOT do Windows Update until that software vendor has vetted each update package.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#125 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,310 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

Right, and a lot of those probably aren't, or at least shouldn't have Internet access. Not that helped Iran any.

In house developed apps are another problem.

At work, we have to basically go against the Patent Office compatibility Matrix. They only list up to XP SP2, IE 6 and Firefox 2 as compatible. And they updated the matrix in 2012.

#126 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,909 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:18 AM

Just in case you missed all of the previous memos, no more security updates for XP.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#127 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,909 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

At work, we have to basically go against the Patent Office compatibility Matrix. They only list up to XP SP2, IE 6 and Firefox 2 as compatible. And they updated the matrix in 2012.

You mean http://www.uspto.gov...dance/index.jsp ? I'm chuckling because of what's listed including Netscape Navigator (EOL 2008), XP SP2 (EOL 2010), PowerPC Macs (EOS 2006) with no mention of the Intel Macs, and Firefox 2 (EOL 2008).

But, hey, it's your tax dollars at work!
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#128 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,795 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

Yeah - about that - The company that my employer is on for my project  is JUST NOW doing the Win7 migration.  And yes, part of it was apps compatibility.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#129 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:03 AM

http://betanews.com/...-xp-until-2019/

/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...