Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-14 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
409 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   Robin112

Robin112

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:35 AM

Won't Time Warner pay your DirecTV early termination fee to get you back?  Other cable companies were doing that for a while.

Really? Ima look into that i didnt know bout that

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

And where do i find this free on demands stuf you talkin bout

Depends on your equipment but you get on demand free for every channel you get if they have on demand. Add 1000 to the channel number or move to the left in the guide on channels that have a little plus in the corner and press select. Or go to the on demand in the menu.

Also channel 1000.

You need an Internet connection to your dvr.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#243 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 357 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:01 AM

Charter is paying termination fees right now, its even printed on the flyers they send out every 3 weeks.

Charter has gone through a major upgrade here, Analog will be shut down on 11 Mar, and then the new channel lineup has probably 50 new HD channels.  I am working on a spreadsheet to compare, but its more than DirecTv

HR44-700, HR22-700, HR21-200, SWM16

#244 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,177 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

Won't Time Warner pay your DirecTV early termination fee to get you back?  Other cable companies were doing that for a while.

can't speak for time warner but my cable company, bright house, offers that option periodically.

#245 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,128 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

You have to remember DirecTV is under a bandwidth crunch, cable can do things like eliminate and/or reduce analog service and use technology like switched video. Satellite providers need to launch new satellites to get more bandwidth. DirecTV is launching a new satellite in a few months, I'd wait until that's up and running later this year before dumping DirecTV for not carrying a specific channel before some random self imposed deadline that doesn't account for things like that along with upcoming contract renewals. (i.e. ESPN/Disney later this year which will probably involve the SEC Network, Longhorn and/or Goal Line/BuzzerBeater, and whenever Fox's contract is up for renewal which could involve Fox Soccer Plus moving away from Setenta pricing and going full time HD, additional HD channels like FXM and Deportes along with the addition of Fox's streaming and on demand services)

Edited by KyL416, 21 February 2014 - 11:18 AM.

#246 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:47 AM

Time warner has more hd channels i had both companies i know, dont believe the commercials you see on tv or other places bout directv havin the most hd

Well Time Warner Cable is in the city next to me and they don't there last time I checked. That's the thing about cable. Your mileage varies by area. Now I have heard they added recently so they may be more similar now. I've never seen anyone with any significantly larger selection than dtv. In fact most are similar to each other now IMHO except....

And much more important charter who is my cable provider does not have as much as DIRECTV at all. One HBO and one showtime etc among other major shortcomings.

#247 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:49 AM

And where do i find this free on demands stuf you talkin bout

Whatever channel you are on go to that channel plus 1000. So fx would be 1248.

Or go to channel 1000. Or search.

Or in the guide any channel that has the little plus next to the channel number highlight the channel number and hit select.

#248 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:51 AM

Charter is paying termination fees right now, its even printed on the flyers they send out every 3 weeks.

Charter has gone through a major upgrade here, Analog will be shut down on 11 Mar, and then the new channel lineup has probably 50 new HD channels. I am working on a spreadsheet to compare, but its more than DirecTv

The problem with charter in my area is their pq for Hi Definition isn't even good. And even my 80 year old neighbor noticed that!

#249 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:24 AM

You have to remember DirecTV is under a bandwidth crunch, cable can do things like eliminate and/or reduce analog service and use technology like switched video. Satellite providers need to launch new satellites to get more bandwidth. DirecTV is launching a new satellite in a few months, I'd wait until that's up and running later this year before dumping DirecTV for not carrying a specific channel before some random self imposed deadline that doesn't account for things like that along with upcoming contract renewals. (i.e. ESPN/Disney later this year which will probably involve the SEC Network, Longhorn and/or Goal Line/BuzzerBeater, and whenever Fox's contract is up for renewal which could involve Fox Soccer Plus moving away from Setenta pricing and going full time HD, additional HD channels like FXM and Deportes along with the addition of Fox's streaming and on demand services)

Doesn't Cable get their content from satellites?

If anything I would say Cable has a more restrictive Bandwidth Crunch then Directv or Dish.

When you can show me any Cable company that gives customers 30 addtional out of Market RSNs in HD then I may believe that claim.

Most can't offer that because of limited Bandwidth.

How many Satellites does Comcast use?  I doubt 9 of them

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#250 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

The final mile (or many) to the home is the limiting factor. For DirecTV, it's the satellite signal, both FCC authorized licensed spectrum and satellite capacity to transmit on those frequencies. For traditional cable companies, including FiOS, it's QAM spectrum, for linear traditional HD.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#251 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,242 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

Doesn't Cable get their content from satellites?

Generally the same satellites as DirecTV uses to get their content. Not the "final mile" satellites that your dish points at ... those are just rebroadcasts of the feeds DirecTV uses.

Comcast offers a "headend in the sky" service that other cable companies can use that aggregates feeds from the many providers and puts them on three satellites that can be received on one dish. The service includes MPEG-2 HD channels.
http://www.hits.com/

(EchoStar had its own service to cable companies on a single satellite but it was shut down in 2011.)

How many Satellites does Comcast use?  I doubt 9 of them

How many locals does Comcast have on satellite? If DirecTV did not have locals they would not need 9 satellites. The ability to use local OTA antennas or feeds from local stations to the local headend instead of needing to dedicate transponders to spotbeams. Count ConUS transponders for DirecTV - see how many orbital locations DirecTV would need if all they had to feed was ConUS.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#252 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,128 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:44 PM

When you can show me any Cable company that gives customers 30 addtional out of Market RSNs in HD then I may believe that claim.
Most can't offer that because of limited Bandwidth.

No most don't offer that because they have no need to, satellite does because they're national and need to deliver the local RSNs to people across the country and then remap them to the 700s for the out of markets sports packages. On digital cable the Fox College Sports channels were originally created as "Fox Digital Sports" as a service to bring the local highlights shows and local college sports from the various FSN stations to digital cable providers while they all relied on the local RSN to bring in the national FSN content (i.e. the UEFA events, the national Big 12 games that air on FSN, along with other national shows that aired on FSN at the time like Best Damn Sports Show and TNA Impact). NESN and YES also have national game-less feeds for out of market cable providers. For out of market pro sports they get them prepackaged from iNDemand with 14 SD and 9 HD GAME channels used by MLB Extra Innings and NHL Center Ice and 10 SD an 9 HD TEAM channels used by NBA League Pass and MLS Direct Kick.

You should take a look at the transponder maps to see how many full time channels are on each transponder along with the Sixto report, especially his post at the beginning of Sunday Ticket that showed how many PPV Movie channels go off air for the day. There's also reserved bandwidth used for things like RSN alternates, non carried RSNs for out of market packages, the UEFA, EPL and Rugby channels, private network broadcasts and other things. Try browsing the guide on a busy night in April or early October when every league is in action resulting in some PPV movie channels and infomercial channels going off the air for the night when the reserved bandwidth is taken and they need even more space.

Cable also no longer has the need to deliver 30+ PPV movie channels with staggered start times like they did in the early days of digital cable since the availability of VOD is now widespread. iNDemand who at one point had 32 PPV channels is down to 3 SD event channels, 1 HD event channel, 1 SD Spanish Movies and Events channel, 3 SD movie channels and Hot Choice. With cable VOD streams originate at the node serving a limited amount of subscribers, if your cable provider has them in the clear you can sometime see what VOD selections your neighbors are watching. Since all 20 million DirecTV subscribers are getting their signal from the same source, they cannot have the same VOD system that cable uses, so the PPV Movie channels are still needed as not everyone has a DVR or access to broadband with a fast enough speed and decent or no caps. (Especially those who's only option for broadband is services like Wild Blue or Hughes Net)

How many Satellites does Comcast use? I doubt 9 of them

You are acting like the path cable and satellite take to deliver the content to your home are one in the same. Both DirecTV and cable originate their services in the same way, a headend that pulls in master feeds from multiple satellites and other sources like fiber, OTA and IP in some cases. (You should take a look at a site like Lyngsat to see how many different satelites the master feeds of many of these channels originate from.) The difference is what happens AFTER that point. Satellite rebroadcasts the same content to all 20 millions subscribers via satellite slots licensed by the FCC. Cable delivers them to however many subscribers are served by the individual headend, hub or node, which gives them the additional flexibility of using technology like switched video to only deliver the channels people in that specific hub or node are watching at the time. They also have the option to reduce or eliminate analog service to provide additional channels, among other things. DirecTV can't use switched video since all 20 million subscribers get the content from the same source in the sky, and they have no analog space to reclaim since they were digital from the beginning, they have to do things like launch new satellites, which they will do later this year.

If they wanted to add every channel people are asking for now before the new satellite is up and running they'd have to either overly compress the existing channels, have a repeat of the pre-MPEG4 days where they did give actual channels the reserved bandwdith, only to take them off air when they were needed for things like Sunday ticket (as opposed to now where they monetize the reserved bandwidth by giving them to PPV Movie and infomercial channels when they're not in use). They can also eliminate MPEG2 service entirely and go all MPEG4, however considering that they still are doing SD only installs as well as allowing people to activate new D1x receivers, the chances of that happening before the new satellite goes live are slim to none. (Not to mention the need to have nationwide truck rolls to convert the remaining SD only subscribers that still have dishes that only receive 101, 110 and/or 119)

Edited by KyL416, 22 February 2014 - 03:50 PM.

#253 OFFLINE   mthomas47

mthomas47

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

It is pretty easy to tell when there is not much new HD to anticipate just from the nature of the online conversations. But I will introduce a little different HD anticipation. I have wished that DirecTV had some sort of ambient channel. I would like to be able to play music through my main sound system while having some sort of scenic view or image on the screen, all within my current system properties. I could listen to Pandora and watch Sports Center, for instance, but that wouldn't be quite what I am after. I know some carriers have experimented with a Fireplace Channel or Aquarium Channel. Bandwidth is tight right now, but I would really like to have an option like that with the new satellite. I found a channel called The Window Channel that looks very promising. Not the typical more sports request that we see a lot of on this thread. Still, there might be a market out there for this. I would certainly be able to enjoy it, as I listen to music at least as much as I watch TV, and combining the two would be cool.

#254 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

I stream some of The Window Channel videos through my Roku.  I really like them and think it would make a great addition on D*.  But only in HD!

#255 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,967 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

Ah, the Scenery Channel...

http://backtothefutu...Scenery_Channel

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#256 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

Didn't HD net, or some other channel used to have a show that was just a camera set up to watch the sunrise at different locations?

Ah, Sunrise Earth

http://en.wikipedia....i/Sunrise_Earth

Not sure if they show it any more though.  Recording a bunch of those and then watching while playing music probably would have worked for you mthomas47.

As it is now maybe an AppleTV would be a good solution for you.  You can play music with it and have it show a slideshow on the TV at the same time.  Either your own images, or it can supply its own.

Edited by Beerstalker, 26 February 2014 - 02:23 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#257 OFFLINE   mthomas47

mthomas47

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

Didn't HD net, or some other channel used to have a show that was just a camera set up to watch the sunrise at different locations?

Ah, Sunrise Earth

http://en.wikipedia....i/Sunrise_Earth

Not sure if they show it any more though.  Recording a bunch of those and then watching while playing music probably would have worked for you mthomas47.

As it is now maybe an AppleTV would be a good solution for you.  You can play music with it and have it show a slideshow on the TV at the same time.  Either your own images, or it can supply its own.

That's a good suggestion, thanks. I have been looking into some options like that. Unfortunately, for this particular application, I'm not a Mac user, although Google has recently introduced something similar for Android users. I think more and more of those applications will be available in the next couple of years, but it would still be nice if DirecTV offerred something scenic, or whatever, in an HD channel. A number of futuristic movies and tv shows feature variations of HD scenic views, sometimes in lieu of windows. I had forgotten the Back to the Future one. But it definitely seems that there would be some interest in something like this--sort of a human version of the Dog Channel?

#258 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,292 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

Pretty certain you can use iTunes on a PC to play through an Apple TV. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#259 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

Check out chromcast. You can stream anything from the chrome browser straight to you tv.

#260 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,801 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

Pretty certain you can use iTunes on a PC to play through an Apple TV.

Yes you can.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...