Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

new year predictions for dish network for 2014

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

what are your predictions for dish network for 2014?for me new apps for the hopper.

Allen 

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   John W

John W

Icon

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

At some point they will see roughly a $110 decrease in revenue from Huntington, Indiana.

#3 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

At some point they will see roughly a $110 decrease in revenue from Huntington, Indiana.

Thanks for the laugh, I was thinking the same thing when I saw rumblings of another rate increase!

#4 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:01 PM

MLB Extra Innings becomes available. Doesn't hurt to daydream.

#5 OFFLINE   Willh

Willh

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:43 PM

Dish finally resolves the nearly 4 year long Disney/ESPN dispute but before they resolve it, the channels owned by Disney/ESPN goes dark. 

Dish Network Customer since Jan 2007, upgraded to HD on September 2, 2010.

DVRs/Box Sets: Dish VIP DVR 722K (2 of them).

long time Pro-Wrestling and NASCAR fan.

#6 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

My prediction is that my bill will go up.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#7 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:54 PM

There will be more retranmission disputes.  Dish will try to end them by buying Aereo and integrating it into receivers.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#8 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

All of the above, I am sure. :-). Charlie said back in probably 2006 that he figured by 2014 about everything that broadcasts in HD would be on Dish in HD, so there would be very little SD. We do have a lot of HD, but there are still channels that broadcast in HD, that Dish still has in SD. TV Land, Disney (dispute), as well as the super stations, and I think a couple of the Encores are now in HD.I am sure there are others too. ION is in SD on Dish, yet in the local paks it is in HD often in different markets. But of course Dish may not have the available bandwidth to have everything available in HD. Direct has a few channels that Dish doesn't have too. But I think over all, Dish has more channels that Direct does not have.

Patrick

#9 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 931 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

My predictions

Dish will announce at CES the new Hopper with 6 tuners and a built in Roku for streaming Aerial locals. The product is then delayed by a year like most other dish announcements.

Dish gives up on being a phone provider and sells all airwaves in exchange for life long contracts for bundle deals giving dish a high profit

Dish buys Roku and Aerial with money from airwaves sales and starts a real Netflix competitor this time hiring away several of Netflixes executives.

Edited by scottchez, 30 December 2013 - 09:59 PM.

• foghorn2 likes this
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#10 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:41 AM

All of the above, I am sure. :-). Charlie said back in probably 2006 that he figured by 2014 about everything that broadcasts in HD would be on Dish in HD, so there would be very little SD. We do have a lot of HD, but there are still channels that broadcast in HD, that Dish still has in SD. TV Land, Disney (dispute), as well as the super stations, and I think a couple of the Encores are now in HD.I am sure there are others too. ION is in SD on Dish, yet in the local paks it is in HD often in different markets. But of course Dish may not have the available bandwidth to have everything available in HD. Direct has a few channels that Dish doesn't have too. But I think over all, Dish has more channels that Direct does not have.

Patrick

Dish doesn't has TV ONE.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#11 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

What is TV One?

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,291 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

What is TV One?

"Launched on Martin Luther King's birthday in January 2004, TV One is a fast growing cable network that now serves 57 mllion households. Combining hit sitcoms, big studio movies, irrverent reality television and newsworthy specials, TV One delivers real life and entertainment programming from the African American point of view. TV One represents a connection to the authentic, rich, and diverse experience of African American life, history, and culture."
http://tvone.tv/insi...out-tv-one.html
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:21 AM

Dish will raise equipment fees in June.

**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#14 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

I wonder if anyone has requested TV One? It sounds like a good channel. Warner Cable in KC has added CNN International and BBC World. I wish we had both of those.

#15 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

Tv1 is good, it has a lot of good comedy from the 70,80,90, and 00s Directv has it in SD. Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

#16 OFFLINE   SDWC

SDWC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

By the end of the year we will be at software release S340 for the Hopper with Sling. 

#17 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

i think we could see the disney Hd channels coming at CES next week what do you guys think?

Allen bluegras 

#18 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

does dish come out with a netflix app for the Hopper DVR?what do you think?

Allen 

• allen98311 likes this

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,291 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

i think we could see the disney Hd channels coming at CES next week what do you guys think?

CES is a technology show ... content itself isn't technology. I suspect we will get the Disney channels due to ABC/ESPN/Disney's skill at extortion negotiation.

does dish come out with a netflix app for the Hopper DVR?what do you think?

DISH will not offer it. That would compete with their own Blockbuster service. DISH wants people to pay them for content, not provide their customers an easy way to pay someone else.
  • foghorn2 likes this
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#20 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:01 PM

Another Hopper probably without AutoHop, or at least hide it within the menu or searches like Directv does with 30 sec skip and of course more disputes as usual aka scare tactics for more money, and more fee increases, Maybe and that's a big maybe ESPN U,ESPN NEWS in HD with Disney channels, once they both settle their differences.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...