Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cable Flaring

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chefwong

chefwong

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:16 AM

How many of ya'll acutally will run a flaring tool on the coax prior to connecterization.

Never have but I'm thinking about buying a flaring tool to add to the stash

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

I don't have one, guess I don't do enough "connecterizations"  :eek2:   to warrant needing or considering one.  :grin:

Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Denon AVR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#3 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,978 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

I'm not sure exactly what a flaring tool does (I googled it to get an idea) so maybe this isn't accomplishing the same thing...

I recently saw a tip somewhere (probably here in dbstalk) suggesting to insert the coax into the front (i.e. 'wrong') end of the compression connector first to push the top layer of the shield down and out of the way. Unlike peeling it back manually it restricts the size, making it easier to slip the proper end of compression connector onto the coax. I found it works better for me, at least, but I'm not a pro so I'm not making them all that often. I'm sure a pro could "connectorize" at least 5x the rate I do :)

IMHO, a pro doing anything on a daily basis, whether it is making cables or installing shingles, should get any tool that makes his job even a tiny bit quicker/easier/better. Obviously there's a cost/benefit side, but considering how little these flaring tools cost if it is any sort of improvement it seems like a no brainer!

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#4 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

I used to carry one a decade or so ago, before there even were compression connectors.  I only used it occasionally when I was unsuccessful in jamming a connector on a coax without having first used it.  I don't carry it anymore.  If you have trouble pushing a connector onto a coax, you can often make it easier by pinching the side of the cable to stretch the outer jacket

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,371 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:28 PM

When you do 50+ fittings a day, "flaring" takes forever.  Pass

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:47 AM

If you have prepped the coax properly (making sure every bit of the braid is combed back, and the foil is smoothed down), the only thing a flaring tool will do is make the wrong-sized connector seem to fit.

The connector should slide on with only a bit of effort.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,371 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:10 AM

If you have prepped the coax properly (making sure every bit of the braid is combed back, and the foil is smoothed down), the only thing a flaring tool will do is make the wrong-sized connector seem to fit.
The connector should slide on with only a bit of effort.

while this is true under normal circumstances, not so much when is 20F or lower outside. It is a bitch to put connectors in the cold!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#8 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:24 PM

Many years ago, back in the days of the old oringle digicon fittings, I had one of these and after using it two days, I found it was more truble then it was worth.

If I had any problems installing any fittings, I found that if you took a cig liter and warmed the cable just a bit you could install any fitting on any cable with no problems.

I have installed several thousand fittings over the years using this method.

#9 OFFLINE   chefwong

chefwong

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

Heh. This came across my *to do list* after seeing a tech FUTZ with a regular XL fitting trying to fit it onto a Plenum RG6.....

Go figure, but it's not just the jacket rating but the OD, etc is different.

I picked up a bag of Plenum connectors to have in my stash since that day....

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,371 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

Many years ago, back in the days of the old oringle digicon fittings, I had one of these and after using it two days, I found it was more truble then it was worth.

If I had any problems installing any fittings, I found that if you took a cig liter and warmed the cable just a bit you could install any fitting on any cable with no problems.

I have installed several thousand fittings over the years using this method.

that is AWEFUL and will NOT recommended to anyone.    doing these can/will deform the foam dielectric rendering the cable useless

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...