Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

18 Months With the Hopper/Joeys - A Review

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:38 PM

I still get those offers from DirecTV. Sometimes as many as two per week, wanting me to come back.

NO CHANCE!

I am so pleased with my Hopper and Joeys that DirecTV could offer free equipment and free subscriptions for two years, and I'd still ignore them.
Maybe the Genie is better than the old HR series receivers were. I can't imagine them being any worse!

For all of the time I used to spend on here researching and frustratingly trying to find ways to make my old DVR perform properly, Dish and the Hopper have paid me back ten fold.
Heck, the only reason I even stop by here anymore is to occasionally read or share information in the OT forums. How great is that?!

Yeah, I'm a fanboy... and I love it!  :righton:
That's what happens when you find a product that performs as it should.

Thanks, Dish! For making my life so much easier and simpler. Your software updates add new features that are actually useful, and I don't have to spend my time rebooting and resetting crappy hardware just so I can watch TV. 

Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,619 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:55 AM

I'm glad you're a fanboy. It's obvious DISH is a good fit for "you". But the product you're so fond of doesn't always perform as it should as these thread examples indicate......DISH OTA EPG Issues (report only)......Problems Transferring Recordings......Can't Use Compensatory PPV Certificates. So to be fair and honest both services have their share of issues. And least we forget  DirecTV commercials presents their competitors as idiots while DISH commercials presents their customers as idiots.......Enjoy!  

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,100 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:55 AM

DirecTV commercials presents their competitors as idiots while DISH commercials presents their customers as idiots.......Enjoy!

This is very true. Lol

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

#4 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:10 AM

A pox on the last two!!  :)

You guys are probably still waiting for the guide to show up from the button push last week!!  :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#5 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,100 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:39 AM

Atleast we don't have to wait till Primtime to record 4 things. !rolling  :grin:

• sigma1914 likes this

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#6 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:59 AM

Neither do I!  I can record 4 things on one-tuner any time of the day or night.

Of course, they have to be the 'right' 4 things...  :)

Lloyd

#7 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,919 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:04 AM

Both services are great for different people. No need to trash another ones service. As long as Marlin is happy, as he seems to be, that's all that matters.

However, this was far from a review as the title suggests, and more of a gloat post.

• MysteryMan likes this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

Did you not notice the smileys??  :)

Lloyd

#9 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,919 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:43 AM

Did you not notice the smileys??   :)

It wasn't directed at you, in particular.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

A pox on the last two!!   :)

You guys are probably still waiting for the guide to show up from the button push last week!!   :)

LOL! I remember those days. The old HR21-100. It's the sole reason I'm now with Dish.

I'm sure their new system is better, it HAS to be, but there's nothing about the Hopper system that causes me to look elsewhere.

• Marlin Guy likes this

#11 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

Both services are great for different people. No need to trash another ones service. As long as Marlin is happy, as he seems to be, that's all that matters.

However, this was far from a review as the title suggests, and more of a gloat post.

OK. While language constraints prevent me from fully expressing how insanely happy I am with Dish and the Hopper, let me just say this.
I give the Hopper Two thumbs and eight fingers way up! Raising my hands in the air screaming **** YEAH!!

#hatasgonnahate

Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#12 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:01 PM

LOL! I remember those days. The old HR21-100. It's the sole reason I'm now with Dish.

I'm sure their new system is better, it HAS to be, but there's nothing about the Hopper system that causes me to look elsewhere.

Mine was the HR20-700. Same turd, different polish.
Recording four programs at once at any time is hardly an issue for me. I can barely find four good programs a week that are worth my time to watch.
So I can see where others may desire more, but like clotter, my system is as great today as it was day one, and it has given me no reason to even consider changing to anything else.

What's so wrong with that? Can't someone come on here post some good experiences once in a while?
Sure, most people come here because they are frustrated or irritated. That's what brought me here when I was a DirecTV customer. But I'm just letting whoever wants to read my post know that I have found the Hopper/Joey system to be absolutely flawless and it 100% satisfies my viewing and recording needs. Something DirecTV could never do, despite all those nights of staying up late and getting those dull edge updates - not because I wanted the latest/greatest - just that I wanted something that worked as it should.
Isn't that what any customer wants?

So that's my review. If you want a whole house DVR system that just plain works, then give the Hopper/Joeys a try. All you have to lose is those bags under your eyes.

Edited by Marlin Guy, 31 December 2013 - 04:02 PM.

Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,600 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:31 PM

There is nothing wrong with someone being happy with their service ... and they should be able to express it on our forum without being called names or having their threads trashed.
  • Marlin Guy likes this
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#14 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:21 AM

I had an HR22-100, and it was the sole reason I'm now with Dish.  I'm saving a few bucks a month, but that would never have motivated me to switch.

I'd agree with the OP that the Hopper is a joy to use, with one minor exception: the OTA tuner.  Single-tuner, and glitches every time I use the 30-second skip button while it's recording.  But that's a minor quibble with what has otherwise been a truly enjoyable user experience.

• Marlin Guy likes this

#15 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,919 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

There is nothing wrong with someone being happy with their service ... and they should be able to express it on our forum without being called names or having their threads trashed.

Ok, but it still wasn't a review ... It was the OP saying he's happy which is great. If a member is looking to switch and sees the title claiming a REVIEW of the Hopper, they'll be bamboozled. You quoted me, yet I didn't call him names. He trashed DirecTV which is ok, so critiquing his "review" isn't ok?

• MysteryMan likes this

#16 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

Ok, but it still wasn't a review ... It was the OP saying he's happy which is great. If a member is looking to switch and sees the title claiming a REVIEW of the Hopper, they'll be bamboozled. You quoted me, yet I didn't call him names. He trashed DirecTV which is ok, so critiquing his "review" isn't ok?

If by review you mean, "Goes over the pros and cons of a product, describes its features in detail, or otherwise provides impartial information whereby others can make a rational, informed decision" you're probably right.  But if by review you mean,"Describes their personal experience with a product that gives an explanation of the causes of their overall satisfaction", then you're definitely wrong.

1)I am so pleased with my Hopper and Joeys that DirecTV could offer free equipment and free subscriptions for two years, and I'd still ignore them.

2) Maybe the Genie is better than the old HR series receivers were. I can't imagine them being any worse!
3) For all of the time I used to spend on here researching and frustratingly trying to find ways to make my old DVR perform properly, Dish and the Hopper have paid me back ten fold.  Heck, the only reason I even stop by here anymore is to occasionally read or share information in the OT forums. How great is that?!
4)That's what happens when you find a product that performs as it should.

So let's break it down.  1) First, he indicates his overall level of satisfaction is so high he wouldn't take the former equipment he had from DirecTV even if it cost him nothing.  2) Provides a contrast with a competitor's product, and makes sure we know which ones he has experience with.  3) Indicates that he no longer spends time on this forum solving problems.  4) Indicates that the product performs properly.

Now, maybe that's not a complete review in the vein of CNET, but we also know he didn't change his "Editor's Choice" because of a CEO invalidating his review.  I wouldn't consider his review to be decisive, but it would provide information to someone who is considering the two services, i.e. "Here's somebody who switched from a DirecTV "Advanced HD DVR" to a Hopper and is very, very, very glad he did."

• sigma1914 and Marlin Guy like this

#17 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:40 AM

I can't speak as to the performance of the OTA tuner. I have never used it. All of my programming comes via Dish.
I would suspect that I am well into the majority of subscribers in that regard.

Team Mexico Pork Cloud

spam firewall