Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Problems with 4g cellular router and mini genie dropping out of network.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DaaQ

DaaQ

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

Wondering if anyone has come across this issue and a possible solution to it.

The setup = HR44-x00 ( I think it's a 700, positive it's not a 200) with 1 mini genie, C41-500 (pretty sure it's a 500) Slimline SWM3 Lnb ODU. NEC grounded, with one 2 way splitter. The router is a BandLuxe R529 4g cellular modem from Bluegrass Cellular. It has only a LAN and WAN RJ45 jack on it for connectivity, it is also wifi capable.

EDIT= I changed out the 2 way for a 4 way and ran a coax to the router to connect with a broadband deca. Unsuccessful at that. Forgot to add, the PI is behind the HR44. 

The problem = Cannot get the HR44 to connect to the wifi router AND maintain the mini client connection to the HR44. I can get the genie to connect to the wifi modem, when it connects, the mini genie goes searching for servers, no servers found. 

Resetting network settings to default, to break the wifi connection, the mini will come back online. This happened with 2 different genies, 2 different clients. Replaced ALL of the coax, with appoved coax. (solid copper 60%braid 3ghz swept rg6)

So, tried running a coax connected broadband deca, and it will work that way BUT, customers pc goes offline. So this router/modem, the pc connects to the LAN port of the modem. The modems documentation says the WAN port is for putting this unit inline with another router or modem. I tried connecting both ways and cant get both the pc and the genie online at same time. I THINK a switch will work to solve this issue. I tried an OLD Linksys router, the one withOUT wifi built into it. Doesn't work. I assume its from some settings. Maybe static IP addresses from the ISP, I did not get that deep into it because customer was getting worried that their computer would get messed up and not be able to get online with it. 

I am going to try a switch on it, going to take one of mine over there to test it out.

BUT what has me thrown for a loop, is the client dropping off the network when the internal wifi if the genie is connected to this wifi modem. What could be messing up the system? I think it has to do with the 4g cellular band frequencies used, being in the same range that the moca network uses to send the video signal to the client. 

Hope some of that makes sense to somebody. Any and all help is appreciated. Just know this is not at my home so I can't trouble shoot quickly. 

Thanks all. DaaQ

Edited by DaaQ, 01 January 2014 - 02:11 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,315 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

what is the DHCP range being used?  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   DaaQ

DaaQ

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

what is the DHCP range being used?  

The genie was set to auto, all default settings, would only connect using WPS - push button method. 

#4 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,315 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

I meant on the router

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   DaaQ

DaaQ

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

That information is unknown. Reading through the online user manual of the device now.

#6 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

Since DirecTv only supports landline internet, why would you bother?

Why waste so much equipment and time.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#7 OFFLINE   DaaQ

DaaQ

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:52 PM

That was helpful. Much appreciated. 

#8 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

That was helpful. Much appreciated.

Your welcome! If you need more advice just ask. Force those software updates and wait. :)

Follow DirecTv's polices. :)

#9 OFFLINE   Tisby

Tisby

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

Follow DirecTv's polices. :)

+1

Follow the SPIG. When educated customers complain that the system can do more than what the SPIG says it can, they are correct. However, it is at your own peril that you step outside the box. Is that the best policy for customer service? Probably not, but we don't get paid to figure out the engineering side of this stuff. We get paid to install, upgrade & service it within the guidelines set for us. If a customer wants to go above and beyond, I always encourage them to thoroughly research what they're doing. DirecTV will always setup a service call for us to come put their jacked-up system back the way it was before they started messing around. Customers who know what they're doing don't ask us to do things we're not supposed to do. They handle it themselves. Whenever I encounter a customer who knows more than me, my mouth is shut & my ears are open. In this case you're screwed as the issue seems to be with the customer's router equipment which we are specifically told not to touch. At this point I hope you're open to buying that customer a new modem AND router since you were messing with both! (Phone call goes like this: "Technician was messing with my modem & router, now it doesn't work. You need to get me new ones that work.") It appears that it is currently working, so you should quit messing with it while you're still somewhat ahead! I would explain to the customer that the system is not designed to do what you were trying to do. Apologize if you knowingly misled them on the capabilities of the system before you dig your hole any deeper!

Edited by Tisby, 01 January 2014 - 07:15 PM.

#10 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,315 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

because it should work.  the receivers DO NOT care how the connect to the internet as long as the connection is adequate....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,315 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

+1

Follow the SPIG. When educated customers complain that the system can do more than what the SPIG says it can, they are correct. However, it is at your own peril that you step outside the box. Is that the best policy for customer service? Probably not, but we don't get paid to figure out the engineering side of this stuff. We get paid to install, upgrade & service it within the guidelines set for us. If a customer wants to go above and beyond, I always encourage them to thoroughly research what they're doing. DirecTV will always setup a service call for us to come put their jacked-up system back the way it was before they started messing around. Customers who know what they're doing don't ask us to do things we're not supposed to do. They handle it themselves. Whenever I encounter a customer who knows more than me, my mouth is shut & my ears are open. In this case you're screwed as the issue seems to be with the customer's router equipment which we are specifically told not to touch. At this point I hope you're open to buying that customer a new modem AND router since you were messing with both! (Phone call goes like this: "Technician was messing with my modem & router, now it doesn't work. You need to get me new ones that work.") It appears that it is currently working, so you should quit messing with it while you're still somewhat ahead! I would explain to the customer that the system is not designed to do what you were trying to do. Apologize if you knowingly misled them on the capabilities of the system before you dig your hole any deeper!

No one is asking you to figure it out.  you were the one that came here seeking something.... or perhaps to try to help by wind up pissing in the TS conrflakes....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

because it should work.  the receivers DO NOT care how the connect to the internet as long as the connection is adequate....

DirecTv's policy say's it's not adequate...

That should be all that matters to a tech. Reguardless of what you read on the internet.

Wasting HR44's and C41's. Nah.

Diyers can do whatever. I'll come along later an NLOS.

I have inventory, peace out.

#13 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,315 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

DirecTv's policy say's it's not adequate...

Sooooo

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

Sooooo

You delete the Broadband Eligible OLI, note the account, kiss your numbers good bye and get on down the road.

#15 OFFLINE   DaaQ

DaaQ

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

How about you take your own advice, kiss my thread goodbye and get on down the road. You obviously don't see what the major problem is. It's not about numbers or OLIs. Just begone Troll.

#16 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

Troll!

While I do have some experience, it's not on this board.

Grasshopper, Peace

Out!

spam firewall