Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA and Rain Fade

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BillRadio

BillRadio

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

I get rain fade once or twice a year.  I would have hoped I could just switch to one of the OTA channels in our VP211K.  Alas, the screen reads "Signal Loss..." and I can't exit from that screen to tune in an OTA channel.  I tried rebooting the receiver and tuning the OTA channel before the receiver finds out there is satellite signal loss, but that won't work more than a few seconds.

Is there a work around?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   NYDutch

NYDutch

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

In my RV, I ran the OTA coax through an A/B switch that lets me select sending it to the 211k or direct to the TV. The 211k feeds the TV via HDMI, so the TV's coax input was available without needing a second A/B switch.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,719 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

I think if there is an extended period of signal loss you are kind of stuck... but usually at first you can go to the EPG or into the Menu and select the Guide, and from here tune to one of the OTA channels.  Once you are on an OTA channel, you can manually type other OTA channels from there.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 384 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

If I remember from my 622 days its Menu-->Guide.

#5 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 649 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

What is the best indoor aerial to purchase to use with the DISH OTA module. I hooked any of my free coaxial cables hoping to scan n channels. None scanned in. I saw on the bottom of the screen the words Not Locked in the bottom left of the screen and he right bottom there s Signal Strength 0. No matter which coaxial wire I hooked up those two items never changed.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,719 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

Why did you post this question in this thread and start three other threads?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

its true that if too much time has past, your SOL.  Might b able to watch DVR events at that point, but the only way to get away from that signal loss screen is to press menu and then DVR or GUIDE

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#8 OFFLINE   BillRadio

BillRadio

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:53 PM

Well, here it is, our first, and probably only, rain fade of the year, last night.  Rain fades only occur here when the rain is approaching, the actual rain comes several minutes later.  Unfortunately, I was in the bathroom and could not try any of the potential remedies.  We only missed about 3 minutes of the Stanley Cup...which was available OTA.

I realize I could unhook a cable here, throw a switch there...but the best solution would be simple enough for any family member to figure out.  I guess I need to replicate the LOS, however, I don't think I can just unplug the cable...I need a nice mylar balloon.

#9 OFFLINE   NYDutch

NYDutch

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:58 AM

If the dish is easily reachable, some foil over the LNBF would simulate a complete LOS.

#10 OFFLINE   jamelar

jamelar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:26 PM

If the dish is easily reachable, some foil over the LNBF would simulate a complete LOS.

Or empty soup cans

#11 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:20 PM

I go to the EPG, scroll to an OTA channel and select.

When you get the "signal lost" screen the EPG is still accessible (because the lost signal may be with just one of the 3 orbital positions). If you have a DVR your recordings are also still accessible.

As for the best indoor antenna for a E* OTA tuner, I use a Silver Sensor.  One of the channels it picks up is 57 miles away (I'm on high ground and that channel has a large coverage area).  Just make sure you aim it out a window, if possible, for best results.

Edited by Michael P, 24 June 2014 - 04:21 PM.

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...