Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Soapnet Gone

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

Ch 253 now displays an announcement that Soapnet has discontinued broadcasting.  Never watched the soaps on the channel but we liked some of the reruns.  Too bad.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

The Mouse strikes again:

Los Angeles -- SOAPnet, the cable TV channel loved by legions of loyal soap opera fans, has taken its final bow.

A Walt Disney Co. spokeswoman confirmed this week that SOAPnet's last day was New Year's Eve, despite protests from hundreds of soap opera fans who relied on the channel to catch up with such daytime dramas as "General Hospital," "The Young and the Restless" and "Days of Our Lives."

Last month, Disney announced that it would pull the plug on the channel, as part of a shift in its corporate priorities.

http://www.sfgate.co...net-5107122.php

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:43 AM

Weird with all the channels filled with dreck, twaddle, and piffle a popular channel (at least in the eyes of quite a few fans) would get axed.

(I've never watched it, but I have several TV customers that do)

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

Weird with all the channels filled with dreck, twaddle, and piffle a popular channel (at least in the eyes of quite a few fans) would get axed.

As 2013 comes to a close, the major television conglomerates are doing some housekeeping — and that includes clearing the deck of some of their "zombie channels."

Among the neglected networks stumbling toward the end of their runs: SoapNet is shutting down at the end of the year, while NBCUniversal owner Comcast has quietly announced that it is "ceasing distribution" of G4 at the start of January.

Meanwhile, A+E Networks announced this week that it would morph its neglected Bio channel into the lifestyle-oriented "FYI" sometime next year.

http://www.tvguide.c...wn-1074647.aspx

This is exactly why I don't like conglomerates.  In another few years, there won't be any difference between channels.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,425 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

Gov, let us know how it goes with your client.

#6 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

Gov, let us know how it goes with your client.

She hasn't called yet, God is merciful.

Maybe she realizes I can't do anything about it.

I already pitied her husband, I'm now thinking  humane  euthanasia might be his only out . . . 

#7 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

http://www.tvguide.c...wn-1074647.aspx

This is exactly why I don't like conglomerates.  In another few years, there won't be any difference between channels.

:rotfl: I don't see much difference between the channels now. Any channel that is supposed to be a niche channel will air anything, even if it doesn't belong.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

The demise was announced years ago ... but the channel kept hanging in there. Probably waiting for the end of carriage contracts where the programmer had agreed to deliver the channel.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:45 PM

It's weird. I wouldn't have even known Soapnet existed except they ran, and we watched, a Canadian drama "Being Erica" which had a "travel back in time" element. It's where we really became aware of Canadian actress Erin Karpluk who starred in the series. Had seen her also in The CW series "Life Unexpected."

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#10 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:00 AM

The demise was announced years ago ... but the channel kept hanging in there. Probably waiting for the end of carriage contracts where the programmer had agreed to deliver the channel.

It was about six years ago they announced it.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#11 OFFLINE   BobCulp

BobCulp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

Soaps are slowly disappearing from the Networks, so it makes sense to close soapnet. 

What we need is a talk show channel to take over soapnet loss.

#12 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:24 PM

Soaps were never my thing. but I'm sure a lot of fans will miss it.  Until I saw an article last year in Entertainment Weekly, I never knew it existed.  We will be forever grateful that we were able to record all three seasons of Veronica Mars from Soapnet.  What a great mystery show!  Pivot is now showing Veronica Mars, channel 197.

JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#13 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:48 PM

Someone told me recently that when ABC announced that it intended to pull the plug on "General Hospital' the public outcry hit the Mouse in the pocketbook, cancelling Disney vacations and cruses.  "GH" is still on the air today. 

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

spam firewall