Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Driverless Vehicles

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,836 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

New Law Allows Driverless Cars on Michigan Roads

:ap:

Gov. Rick Snyder signs law allowing driverless cars on Michigan roads for research, testing

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Gov. Rick Snyder has signed a law allowing companies to test driverless cars on Michigan roads.

But there's a key point: Someone must be in the car.

In a statement Friday, Snyder says the law is important to keep Michigan involved in research and development of car technology. He mentioned the need for it in his 2013 State of the State speech.

The law requires someone to be in the driverless vehicle to monitor performance and take the wheel if necessary. By 2016, the state Transportation Department is required to inform the Legislature about any additional laws or policies needed for further testing of vehicles.

SOURCE

They're on Cali roads.

Now when will the Tri-States allow it?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,242 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

Which, or what is Tri-States?

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

People texting are driverless cars.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#4 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:46 PM

Which, or what is Tri-States?

NY,NJ,CT AKA the Greater NYC Metropolitan area.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#5 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

The thing about driving I like the most is the feeling of being in control. I am not too sure that I would feel good barreling down some highway at 65.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,151 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

The thing about driving I like the most is the feeling of being in control. I am not too sure that I would feel good barreling down some highway at 65.

driving is the most tedious task I can find. only if the streets were empty....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#7 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

driving is the most tedious task I can find. only if the streets were empty....

Different stokes for different folk. :)

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,151 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

Different stokes for different folk. :)

not arguing with that. what makes driving so stressful are the other drivers, driving the car itself is not that bad....

#9 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

Get you. For me I have never found in stressful.

Edited by yosoyellobo, 05 January 2014 - 12:35 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,510 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

I understand. I don't like riding with anyone. While I like technology and see this as a step toward "the car of the future" I don't want to ride ... I want to drive!
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,374 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

As I've said many times, imagine an alien species observing humans traveling in opposite directions a few feet apart in little wheeled pods on the ground at 60 mph, the only thing separating them is a painted line. Then you discover that they kill and maim each other by the tens of thousands per year. And they load their mates and offspring in these pods regularly. And they explain that they feel like they have some control and are in charge.

You then learn that few of them understand the laws of physics and think "OK, that explains this foolishness." Then you leave to look for truly intelligent species.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#12 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:40 PM

As I've said many times, imagine an alien species observing humans traveling in opposite directions a few feet apart in little wheeled pods on the ground at 60 mph, the only thing separating them is a painted line. Then you discover that they kill and maim each other by the tens of thousands per year. And they load their mates and offspring in these pods regularly. And they explain that they feel like they have some control and are in charge.

You then learn that few of them understand the laws of physics and think "OK, that explains this foolishness." Then you leave to look for truly intelligent species.

I hate it when people make intelligent arguments. :)

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,510 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

OK, insults aside have you got a better solution?

2.4926 trillion vehicle miles driven last year (2013) in the US. There are bound to be a few accidents and fatalities. My first question of the rude aliens would be "and you flew across the galaxy in THAT?"

About one death per 100 million miles in 2009 (per the census bureau). Zero would be better but don't make it sound like driving is suicidal. :rolleyes:
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

Here's a possibly dumb question...

If you are in an accident with a driverless car... who is at fault?

And...  IF the driverless car is determined to be at fault, who gets the insurance points since there was no driver?

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#15 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

Here in Michigan a person must be at the wheel so he or she would get the points.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#16 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

not arguing with that. what makes driving so stressful are the other drivers, driving the car itself is not that bad....

Very true.

As I have aged, I have notice my reaction time has slowed some. Making other drivers mistakes even more dangerous for me. I would really appreciate a vehicle that can react quicker then I can.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#17 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,374 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

OK, insults aside have you got a better solution?

2.4926 trillion vehicle miles driven last year (2013) in the US. There are bound to be a few accidents and fatalities. My first question of the rude aliens would be "and you flew across the galaxy in THAT?"

About one death per 100 million miles in 2009 (per the census bureau). Zero would be better but don't make it sound like driving is suicidal. :rolleyes:

Horses weren't exactly safe.

But the side benefits of the tech associated with driverless car development will be increased safety. Obviously many (most?) people on their sixth iPhone generally aren't on their second generation of automatic braking automobiles or even their first. Maybe if it came out as iBrakes humans would fret more about auto safety than they do now?

Anyway, I do point out the dangers of auto use because I watch people who worry themselves silly that some pedophile will harm their kid then regularly proceed to strap their kid into an auto they will drive seemingly without concern, I guess because they think they have it all under control. They don't, ever. The fact is that automobile accidents kill more children over the age of 4 than any other cause.

Is it suicidal? No. But after you respond to accidents for a few years, it's depressing to realize how many folks think they had it under control just before....

Here's a possibly dumb question...

If you are in an accident with a driverless car... who is at fault?

And...  IF the driverless car is determined to be at fault, who gets the insurance points since there was no driver?

A Google driverless car was involved in an accident, though the press could never figure who was driving. I believe when general use comes about the law will require someone to be in the driver's seat and they will be the responsible parties.

Edited by phrelin, 05 January 2014 - 07:09 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#18 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

If we were a TV Network in the Cosmos, we would be the Comedy Channel.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,151 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

there are many warehouses today with driverless "cars" these vehicles that pick and drop merchandise have never had an accident (at least reported and that I am aware). in order for these "program" to succeed, every single car must be "driverless" and when this happen, accidents will be reduced to 0

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,510 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

The more controlled the environment the better the success rate.

I just cleared 12 inches of snow out of my driveway so I can get to the street in the morning. Hopefully the county will plow the street before morning but if they don't I may be able to make it to the next big road which will be plowed. If not by morning I hope they at least get my street plowed one lane before I get home, It is harder to get home than get out.

I wonder how the Google car handles snow? The cues needed to maintain lane control are not always evident in the snow.

Answering my own question:

1) The cars have trouble detecting lane markers when there is snow on the road.

2) They can get lost when they come to changes in the road that aren’t on the map.

3) They have trouble understanding when traffic cops direct traffic with hand signals.

http://www.forbes.co...ical-roadblock/

Rebuilding every road in the nation to have good lane markers will be expensive (how about the California counties where they are not even bothering to maintain the pavement).

When your GPS errors and tells you to turn left into a river on onto a railroad track the human can catch it. Some day a Google car will make that fatal mistake.

And when going through a construction zone with a worker flagging traffic telling the difference between an octagon stop sign and an octagon slow sign is a challenge. Not to mention hand signals and flags.
  • Nick and MysteryMan like this

spam firewall