Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Jerry Jones would support expanding playoffs for more teams.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

I somehow support this idea. Not for the sake of the cowboys but I have always hated the advantage it gives the bye teams. Personally I would just eliminate the bye teams.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,160 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

Well duh, how else is he going to get his team in the playoffs? :grin:

• damondlt and JACKIEGAGA like this

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#3 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

Well duh, how else is he going to get his team in the playoffs? :grin:

Have all 32 teams in the playoff. :)

#4 OFFLINE   toricred

toricred

• Registered
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Mexico

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

Even with all 32 teams in the playoffs the Cowboys would find a way to miss them.  I love the Cowboys, but until Jerry Jones is gone they will go nowhere.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,592 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:19 PM

Potentially self-serving motivation aside...

I've been in favor of expanding the playoffs since they went to the 4x4 AFC/NFC divisions.

You play teams in your division twice... so that's 6 division games and 10 out-of-division games.  It results in an uneven spread of games on your schedule.

Back before the last expansion... there were 3x5 AFC/NFC divisions... and so you played 8 division games and 8 non-division games.

Because of the inequality... and the scenarios where teams with 8-8 or worse records are winning divisions and 10-6 or better teams are missing the playoffs...

I would favor an expansion from 12 to 16 teams.

It does get weird, in that expansion to 16 teams means half the teams make the playoffs!

So... IF that seems unpalatable... then I say instead of expanding stop the automatic division-winner scenario... and go strictly on the best 12 records... which means in a year like this an 8-8 division winner would miss the playoffs if a team in another division had a better record.

With the quality of play across the league...  I also would be willing to think outside the box and consider contraction... and dropping 2 teams and going back to the 3x5 AFC/NFC breakdown.  Before anyone says "contraction is bad"... think about the worst team in each conference the last few years and ask yourself if it really would be bad to not have that.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:06 AM

NHL and NBA have 16 teams int he playoffs..  I see no reason to not do it other than it does mean the top four seeds dont get the extra bye week.  Maybe expand them to just the top 14?  Still give he top two conference winners a bye, but no

one else.  

Hockey's new playoff and divisional formats may also be worth exploring for the nba, nfl, and mlb.  Its very different in how they have organized it and their playoffs than the other leagues..  Of course I also liked how they always reseeded after every round in the playoffs too.

#7 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,164 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:07 AM

I'm totally against it.  As far as I am concerned only the division winners should be in the playoffs (best record plays the worst of the 4).

• bidger likes this

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,592 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

I'm totally against it.  As far as I am concerned only the division winners should be in the playoffs (best record plays the worst of the 4).

I haven't been for that since the restructuring.  It's far too easy now to win your division and not be worthy of playoffs.  That's my only problem with that scenario.  You have a lot of years where a couple of teams in other divisions are far better than the other teams... but someone has to win each division so we get 9-7, 8-8, 8-7-1, 7-9 teams in as division winners who are clearly sub-par when compared to teams outside their division.

#9 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

NHL and NBA have 16 teams int he playoffs.

And those are lesser Sports to the NFL. No need to emulate them. Jerry Jones is looking to serve his own cause and the proposition is laughable. 

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#10 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,164 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

I haven't been for that since the restructuring.  It's far too easy now to win your division and not be worthy of playoffs.  That's my only problem with that scenario.  You have a lot of years where a couple of teams in other divisions are far better than the other teams... but someone has to win each division so we get 9-7, 8-8, 8-7-1, 7-9 teams in as division winners who are clearly sub-par when compared to teams outside their division.

That's the risks which come with having divisions of 4 teams.   If you want the best teams then go back to 2 divisions and have a single playoff game in order to determine who goes to the Super Bowl. 

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,592 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

Honestly... I'm more in favor of contraction like that but I think that goes too far.

If you had 8-team divisions... then you'd play 14 games in division and only have 2 games to play outside your division... I don't think that's a good mix and I don't think anybody wants to go beyond 16 games really.

Like I said earlier... I would be happier if they contracted 2 teams... dropped back to 30 total NFL teams... then had 3 5-team divisions so half your games were in-division and half outside division...  then I would be ok with the playoffs as they exist today... albeit changing back to the "old" format of 3 division winners + 3 "wild card" entries.

I think those made for more quality teams in the playoffs each year than the way it works now.

#12 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,164 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:36 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing contraction in all of the 'professional' leagues.  personally, I don't think any league should have more than 24 teams but since that would result in a major contraction for all of them I can live with 28 teams so that would be  4 teams gone from the NFL with each conference having 2 divisions of 7 teams. 

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#13 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,592 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

That would be fine for me also.  Getting rid of 2-4 NFL teams *should* improve competitive balance too and get rid of the bottom-feeding 1-2 win teams I would think.

#14 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,198 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

Oh, like the bottom-feeding Chiefs who made the playoff this year?  

Or, in baseball, like the last-place Red Sox who won the World Series this past season?

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,592 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

Oh, like the bottom-feeding Chiefs who made the playoff this year?  

Or, in baseball, like the last-place Red Sox who won the World Series this past season?

I'm thinking more of the bottom-feeding Jacksonville Jaguars who manage to stay on the bottom year after year.

Some teams have ups and downs... but some teams seem to be almost always on the bottom.

#16 ONLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

what if we went the europan route and all leagues had relagation/promaton

There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#17 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:37 PM

Where would Jacksonville be relegated to?

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,592 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:53 PM

I thought about that too...  actually, I really have thought about it for the NBA since they do have a D-league...  The NBA could relegate much of the eastern conference to the D-league! :)

The NFL doesn't really have a farm system the same way Baseball and to some extent the NBA do...  Given the level of contact and potential for injury, I'm not sure the NFL really could have a farm-system in any meaningful way because you wouldn't want to play anyone and risk them getting hurt in the developmental league.

#19 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,164 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:59 AM

Gone all together.   

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#20 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:10 AM

LA. You know that's what the NFL wants.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...