Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrade to Genie?You qualify for an upgrade to the latest DIRECTV® equipment. Your DIRECTV™ PROTECTION PLAN includes an equipment upgrade every 2 yea

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jreagan56

jreagan56

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

I currently have a HR21-200 reciever...and have a free upgrade...

I  would be interested in upgrading my existing receiver....Is this really free...who installs...installation charge? Just wondering what I will be getting myself into.  

I really don't need more than one receiver..I would like to be able to stream my receiver elsewhere in my small apt.  so would genie go be a better option?

.my 2 year contract runs out in may,,,

thanks for any advice..

"You qualify for an upgrade
to the latest DIRECTV® equipment. 
Your DIRECTV™ PROTECTION PLAN includes an equipment upgrade every 2 years. Click Order Receivers above to add a receiver.
This offer cannot be combined with other equipment upgrade offers."

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,351 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

Do you currently have SWM? Hit dash on your remote, it will tell you. SWM uses one coax for both tuners. Also, Genie requires Whole Home, which is $3 a month.

It would be installed by the standard installer in your area, though if you already have SWM, you might be able to get them to ship it to you for self install.

Of course there also is a two year contract.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,317 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

I currently have a HR21-200 reciever...and have a free upgrade...

I  would be interested in upgrading my existing receiver....Is this really free...who installs...installation charge? Just wondering what I will be getting myself into.  

I really don't need more than one receiver..I would like to be able to stream my receiver elsewhere in my small apt.  so would genie go be a better option?

If you are referring to your playlist, you will need the GenieGo, $99 one time fee and no monthly fees

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   jreagan56

jreagan56

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

My receiver is swim connected and internet connected

thanks for the input..

#5 OFFLINE   Dave_S

Dave_S

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:27 AM

I recently took advantage of this deal.  I had three HR20's connected to SWM-16, with whole home service and connected to the Internet with the wireless CCK.  I called and ordered the Genie upgrade specifying that I needed the "wireless Genie" with one mini client (I wanted one less receiver), and would like to do the install myself.  At first they said no problem, they could send everything out to me, but it appears they could not let the self-install go through.  I did get the upgrade and install for no charge and the install was scheduled for two days later.  The Installer showed up with the HR44/C41 equipment and had everything installed and working in less than 30 minutes and took the old boxes with him.  The Installer offered to upgrade my LNB to the new SWM LNB with only one cable, but I refused since I didn't really want him on the roof with the weather conditions.  So far everything is working great and I really like the HR44 vs. the older HR20's.  Since we do 99% of our TV watching in the Family room, I really enjoy having one system with multiple tuners.

AU-9 SlimLine dish connected to SWM-16
HR44 - Connected to Panasonic TH-50PZ700U Plasma by HDMI
C41 - Connected to Sharp 32" LCD by HDMI.

#6 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

I also recently took advantage of the free upgrade offer.  Cost me nothing other than the time to be home for the tech to bring in the Genie and haul out the old receiver.  He was prepared to and would have installed a SWM16 for free but I already had one set up and running so that wasn't an issue.  I was prepared for him when he showed up and it really was just a plug-and-play install.  Waiting for the HR44 to download and install the update probably took up more than half the time he was here. 

PS -  My upgrade offer came via the DirecTV website.  As I recall it was supposedly because of my two-year protection plan anniversary.  Interestingly I'd had my oldest receiver, an HR20, go south on me about a month before the anniversary date.  The tech who brought out the replacement checked to see if he could go ahead and upgrade me to a Genie since he had one on the truck.  No luck.  Funny way to run a business but whatever. 

Edited by randyk47, 07 January 2014 - 08:07 AM.

Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#7 OFFLINE   cyfman

cyfman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:37 AM

I received a letter from Directv that had the same offer,I had a HD-DVR go bad and called in to get  a replacement.What few times I have had to call in I ask if I'm ediglble for any "goodies" I was told no,sorry.

Humm O well

#8 OFFLINE   Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOcala, FL

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

My receiver is swim connected and internet connected

thanks for the input..

If you are already SWM connected, they will likely just send you the Genie.  When I called for the free upgrade to replace an HR20, they just sent me an HR44-700.  I got rid of all this, and replaced it with one wire to the Genie. :righton:

004_zps16028474.jpg

spam firewall