Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH App Delivers Hopper Experience on LG Smart TVs

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,850 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

DISH App Delivers Hopper Experience on LG Smart TVs

Software-based "Virtual Joey" client delivers DISH Hopper experience and control on LG Smart TVs
LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DISH Network L.L.C., a subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), today announced that it has developed a "Virtual Joey" software application that delivers the DISH Hopper® HD-DVR experience on 2013 and 2014 LG Smart TVs. The app can be used instead of DISH's hardware-based Joey, increasing installation options where coaxial or Ethernet wiring may be difficult to access.

"Television placement is so often dictated by where the set-top box can be and where the wires are — this new application literally unleashes the TV," said Joseph P. Clayton, DISH president and CEO. "Together, we are giving our customers more choice and control over their entire television experience."

"By offering DVR capability directly through LG's Smart TV platform, DISH's Virtual Joey app gives consumers even more options to customize their viewing experience. Our collaboration with DISH is consistent with our philosophy of making Smart TV simple and more intuitive," said Sam Chang, vice president in charge of the LG Electronics Silicon Valley Lab, which developed LG's new webOS Smart TV platform.

This new Virtual Joey app provides a nearly identical experience to the Hopper Whole-Home HD DVRs currently available to DISH customers. When loaded on an LG Smart TV, the app offers access to and control of the Hopper Whole-Home HD DVR -- including live TV, recordings and navigation of the electronic program guide. The software-based clients operate on users' wireless or wired home networks.

DISH expects to release the app in the first quarter of 2014.

DISH will provide Virtual Joey demos on LG Smart TVs in the Las Vegas Convention Center in Central Hall at booth #8243.

About DISH
DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 14.049 million satellite TV customers, as of Sept. 30, 2013, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life®. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company.

Visit www.dish.com.

Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businessw...40105005089/en/

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

ImageUploadedByDBSTalk1388973146.181711.jpg Here's a photo from CES Unveiled this evening. Dish was showing off how it will look in LG's webOS. Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#3 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,850 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

It's kind of neat.  I assume the normal wiring requirements would exist for a Hopper... but once you have that, you could use one of these smart TVs instead of a Joey.  I wonder, in this scenario, if you get free use of the app?  Since it would be in lieu of paying a $7 Joey fee for an additional Joey.

#4 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 868 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

According to Dave Zatz on Twitter, there is a monthly fee. Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DBSTalk mobile app

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,265 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

I would of have expected it. No difference than DirecTV RVU TVs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#6 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:30 AM

Yep;

Appears to be essentially DISH's answer to DIRECTV's RVU enabled Smart TV option.

Though this statement in the PR doesn't really make sense;

...The app can be used instead of DISH's hardware-based Joey, increasing installation options where coaxial or Ethernet wiring may be difficult to access.

.Unless the implication is since these LG Smart TVs might have WiFi and the app can be used over it, you will still need coax or ethernet cable access at the TV's location as does DIRECTV's version.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#7 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:26 AM

Except it will work properly I'm sure. :hurah:

I know I know , Its Samsungs Fault! :sleeping:

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#8 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:44 AM

It's a cool idea, but:

1.   On my Joey's I lack picture in picture viewing and some other options.   Is this still the case?

2.   Is the software upgradeable as the program changes?

3.   I don't like the fees associated with it.   Seems as if there should be some break for this.   The Joey unit. itself, is small enough to hide pretty well.

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,485 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:16 AM

I know I know , Its Samsungs Fault! :sleeping:

Well, there is a huge potential difference between this and RVU sets for DirecTV, This is an app, so Dish should have full control over any updates. With RVU, DirecTV doesn't have that option.

#10 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

. With RVU, DirecTV doesn't have that option.

I'm not sure if that good or bad.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#11 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

I think the fee would have to be similar to cable card, like $2 or something in order to have any appeal.  I would actually consider replacing 1 older 720P kitchen TV with a smart TV (assuming they made one in a 32 inch size that is) if I could cut $5 a month from my fees.

#12 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,084 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

Well, there is a huge potential difference between this and RVU sets for DirecTV, This is an app, so Dish should have full control over any updates. With RVU, DirecTV doesn't have that option.

That could be a big positive since what I've seen of Samsung's support of the RVU code in the firmware stinks.

It also looks like the app would allow for the use if a WiFi connection where the Samsung RVU client prevents using WiFi. That could be a good thing for the customer but a bad thing for Dish support.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,265 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

g:

what makes you think that?

#14 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:03 AM

I think the fee would have to be similar to cable card, like $2 or something in order to have any appeal.  I would actually consider replacing 1 older 720P kitchen TV with a smart TV (assuming they made one in a 32 inch size that is) if I could cut $5 a month from my fees.

Same sensible points were made on the DIRECTV side when they came out with their system, but to no avail.

And I imagine DISH will do much the same and strive to do nothing that may upset their current pricing fee structure for extra receivers and clients with this new app.

:nono2:

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#15 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,850 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

I get why they wouldn't want to give this away... but the fee pretty much kills the deal.  Joeys have built-in WiFi, right?  So... you could put a Joey with your new smart TV and have the same convenience... and if you're going to have to pay either way, I'm not sure the point.

The way to "sell" this would be making a deal with the smart TV company so that it helps sell their particular smart TV and meanwhile helps Dish recruit new customers... and then let users of those TVs use the app on the TV for free.  A joint adventure meant to attract business for both companies.

IF you charge customers for it... then it isn't different than what they already can do with a Joey and a "dumb" TV... so where's the incentive to care?

#16 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,084 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

I get why they wouldn't want to give this away... but the fee pretty much kills the deal.  Joeys have built-in WiFi, right?  So... you could put a Joey with your new smart TV and have the same convenience... and if you're going to have to pay either way, I'm not sure the point.

The way to "sell" this would be making a deal with the smart TV company so that it helps sell their particular smart TV and meanwhile helps Dish recruit new customers... and then let users of those TVs use the app on the TV for free.  A joint adventure meant to attract business for both companies.

IF you charge customers for it... then it isn't different than what they already can do with a Joey and a "dumb" TV... so where's the incentive to care?

The DIRECVTV folks have been down this same discussion before, why pay the same monthly charge for the client vs. the TV app?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...