Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Energizes Hopper Platform Giving Customers the Ability to Record Industry-Leading Eight Shows Simultaneously; Delivers Whole Hopper to Whole Home

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,077 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:35 AM

Let me ask a fair question.

How can you vote on a "product of the year" award on something that the general public has never seen, heard of, used

And on top of that the Super Joey has not even been released yet? 

Vote For DISH

The DISH Super Joy has been nominated for the CES Product of the year by Engadget!
These guys deserved the win last year so PLEASE help them win this year by voting for them now at Engadget.com!!

http://www.engadget....014/choice/   

IS THIS A JOKE?

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

To be fair... "product of the year" is often a product from a trade show demoed before release to the general public.  The only time this has bothered me was once when I worked for a company who won such an award and the product never came out, ever!  To me, that was bad...

But as long as the company comes out with the product, I'm ok with it.

In a perfect world, though, I would agree with you that such awards should be released products to win "of the year" awards...

Though, I hedge as I say that, because much of CES is product that isn't released yet... so almost every award/review they do is going to be on unreleased product.

• damondlt likes this

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#63 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,077 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

Trust me I'm not doubting the Joey's Success.

But you know whom ever wins is going to flaunt this award around like it is something special, when its not even really representing the function or reliability at all!

To me this is Highly misleading to any potential customers research.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#64 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

Just think of it as the "promise of the year" award and don't get too hung up on the details.

The most promising products of 2014 ....

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#65 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,565 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

I dont get it, why not build a super hopper with all the tuners in the one box? It would seem more versatile if they had done that. I wonder if a joey can use a tuner from a super joey.

Perhaps because it would cost DISH as much as a Genie costs DIRECTV even for those customers with just a few TVs that could typically survive with the way that DISH uses three tuners. Tuners are surely a large part of the cost pie and piling them on without needing them is a huge waste of money.

It seems like talk of the Home Media Center gave it modular tuners ("up to" six?).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#66 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

Let me ask a fair question.

How can you vote on a "product of the year" award on something that the general public has never seen, heard of, used

And on top of that the Super Joey has not even been released yet? 

I think that's a very fair question, and one that I've raised from time to time. But it happens _every_ year at the International CES, no matter the product category. A prototype and a spec sheet are all you need to win there.

Then later in the year, when your product is actually ready to sell, you take that CES award logo and apply it to your advertising and packaging. Everybody wins, especially the Consumer Electronics Association. :)

Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#67 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

I dont get it, why not build a super hopper with all the tuners in the one box? It would seem more versatile if they had done that. I wonder if a joey can use a tuner from a super joey.

All the Joeys on a system with a Hopper + Super Joey will see all the tuners.  They will appear as 5 tuners.  What isn't known or yet talked about, is if the screen that would show that would just  show 5 tuners or would show them as 3 on the Hopper and 2 on the Super Joey.  Since they are on the network I don't think it would matter how they show them, just how seamless it all works.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#68 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

I can add my 2c to a picture of incorporating the SJ into H/J setup:

- looking at its rear panel we can see colored one Home Network RF connector and nothing else

- that would means MOCA still using the coax

- two sat tuner would force to share the cable with MOCA signals with sat IFs; here is no problem to add three feeds (for three sat tuners) using the three bands 950-1450/1450-2150/2500-3000 MHz

- that would ask to use new Node (or current Nodes could pass selected sat/polarity 500 MHz bands to MOCA output ? - less likely)

- SJ could pick a channel or two from two tpns/muxes and send the HD/SD stream(s) [PES] to H for recording via MOCA band

In short: there is one coax cable to SJ and it will use MOCA and IF bands.

#69 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

All the Joeys on a system with a Hopper + Super Joey will see all the tuners.  They will appear as 5 tuners.  What isn't known or yet talked about, is if the screen that would show that would just  show 5 tuners or would show them as 3 on the Hopper and 2 on the Super Joey.  Since they are on the network I don't think it would matter how they show them, just how seamless it all works.

In this video Vivek Khemka demonstrates the SJ showing the 5 tuners showing on one screen, one of which is split into the four major networks.

Edited by david_jr, 11 January 2014 - 08:15 AM.

#70 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

followup my speculation in post#68:

by BobaBird's CES who is gathered info and posted at www.dishuser.org/superjoey.php, the new SJ will be feed by one cable, what will share MOCA and IFs for two tunes (easy to suggest it will be 950...1450 and 1650...2150 MHz bands) by adding an integrator;

it was described as being similar to a separator but working in reverse merging satellite and moca signals onto the line to a super Joey

Edited by P Smith, 17 January 2014 - 04:27 PM.

#71 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

followup my speculation in post#68:

by BobaBird's CES who is gathered info and posted at www.dishuser.org/superjoey.php, the new SJ will be feed by one cable, what will share MOCA and IFs for two tunes (easy to suggest it will be 950...1450 and 1650...2150 MHz bands) by adding an integrator;

"Integrator"

Or that is to say a fancy word for what is likely just a Satellite-OTA diplexer to separate or combine (depending on whether one is looking away or toward the SJ) the 950-2150 MHz range sat. signal from the 675-850 MHz range MoCA one. :) 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#72 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

The separators used to put OTA TV on a satellite cable feed would serve such a purpose. I used them to carry OTA signals to my 622 before I got the Hopper.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#73 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:58 AM

the trick could be in details ..  say the gap and a slope for filtering between high MOCA freq 850 MHz and low freq of sat IF freq 950 MHz ...

spam firewall