Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV - RVU Alliance Advances to Next Generation with Cloud UI Support

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,235 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

RVU Alliance Advances to Next Generation with Cloud UI Support
01/06/2014
Announces First Deployments of RVU 2.0 Devices and Cloud UI Delivery Demonstration at CES 2014

2014 International CES

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The RVU Alliance, which develops and promotes the RVU® Remote User Interface (RUI) standard, announced today the expansion of the RVU standard into the cloud.

“RVU 1.0 has been extremely successful in launching the Remote User Interface concept to a mass market”

The first products supporting the new RVU 2.0 specification will roll out in the first quarter of 2014 and will be demonstrated at CES 2014. The RVU 2.0 specification builds on the success of the original RVU 1.0 standard by adding support for the HTML5 Canvas APIs, further enhancing the performance and capabilities of RVU clients. RVU 1.0 is supported in millions of consumer electronics devices that are already in customers’ homes.

At CES 2014, JetHead Development will demonstrate the enhanced capabilities of RVU 2.0, showcasing an RVU 2.0 client at the show sourcing its graphical User Interface from a cloud-based server. In addition to JetHead, RVU Alliance members Broadcom, DIRECTV, Entropic, MStar and Samsung will hold demonstrations of RVU compliant products at CES. Please contact member companies directly to arrange a demonstration and overview of the technology.

“RVU 1.0 has been extremely successful in launching the Remote User Interface concept to a mass market,” said Henry Derovanessian, president of the RVU Alliance Board of Directors and senior vice president of Engineering at DIRECTV. “The members of the RVU Alliance continue to innovate and drive the technology roadmap for UI delivery, which is based on a deployed standard with a base of millions of clients and servers. By building on this foundation, RVU 2.0 will enable advanced user interfaces directly on CE platforms from either local in-home or cloud-based servers.”

RVU is based on the foundations of DLNA, is part of the DLNA guidelines, and allows streaming of video via secured connections from a central server to compatible CE devices. RVU also allows the server to export the same consistent User Interface (UI) and DVR features across all connected client platforms, effectively providing a DVR set-top box experience directly on a TV, but without the need for a set-top box. For a list of all compliant devices please visit www.rvualliance.org/products.

About RVU Alliance

RVU is a client/server-based technology that allows the television viewer to experience a consistent, pixel accurate server-generated user interface on various consumer electronics devices. The RVU specification uses widely implemented UPnP and DLNA technologies to enable a gateway device such as an advanced set-top box to work with non-proprietary client devices such as connected TVs, Blu-ray players, and set-top boxes. The specification is maintained by the RVU Alliance, founded by Broadcom, Cisco, DIRECTV, Samsung and Verizon, which facilitates the adoption of an open standard technology that allows service providers to expand their unique UI and user experience onto standard consumer devices without the need for proprietary equipment. Based on the foundations of UPnP and DLNA, RVU is also available via the DLNA premium content guidelines.

For more information on the RVU Alliance please visit www.rvualliance.org.

The RVU Alliance is an Oregon-based non-profit mutual benefit corporation formed to develop a specification for the RVU technology including a full-featured “pixel accurate” Remote User Interface (RUI). For more information about the RVU Alliance, please visit www.rvualliance.org.

• posty likes this

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,041 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

Very cool stuff.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

So because it's an extension on an existing standard, software / firmware updates could be pushed to RVU 1.0 devices to extend them to RVU 2.0? HTML5 is great. You should see how smooth the Xfinity X1 and X2 DVR GUI moves around. It looks like it's running on an Xbox with all the slick transitions.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,981 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

I'm skeptical ... very skeptical ...

so far delivery of good end user RVU product promised for (how many?) years, but the implementation is not in par with demos and PR blah-blah ...

• damondlt likes this

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

looks promising 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

I'm just glad theres SOMETHING from DirecTV.  The front page is all Dish Network this, Dish Network that.  Hopefully we will see more DIRECTV news from CES this year.  I'm excited and will be watching from afar. 

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#7 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,226 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:56 PM

I'm just glad theres SOMETHING from DirecTV.  The front page is all Dish Network this, Dish Network that.  Hopefully we will see more DIRECTV news from CES this year.  I'm excited and will be watching from afar. 

Yeah;

Although almost all of what DISH is showcasing are just their particular implementations of equipment and features DIRECTV already has ...  

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#8 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,041 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:42 AM

Yeah;

Although almost all of what DISH is showcasing are just their particular implementations of equipment and features DIRECTV already has ...  

Bingo.

What we're seeing so far from Dish at CES onsite is alot of hype but mostly "catching up technology".

We'll see what the next couple of days here in Vegas brings...

#9 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 867 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

Bingo.

What we're seeing so far from Dish at CES onsite is alot of hype but mostly "catching up technology".

We'll see what the next couple of days here in Vegas brings...

i don't subscribe to Dish, but having seen how well Dish integrated Sling and how smoothly it works in person, I wish that my GenieGo worked that smoothly and easily.

I also think the picture quality was better on the Dish mobile app, whatever it was called.

They may be playing catch-up in some areas, but when they do release something it seems to work well. Better than the D* at times too.
  • damondlt likes this

#10 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

i don't subscribe to Dish, but having seen how well Dish integrated Sling and how smoothly it works in person, I wish that my GenieGo worked that smoothly and easily. I also think the picture quality was better on the Dish mobile app, whatever it was called. They may be playing catch-up in some areas, but when they do release something it seems to work well. Better than the D* at times too.

He has to say that since DirecTV really hasn't shown anything of interest at CES..  It's the DirecTV is the best at everything even when their obviously not attitude that is so prevalent in certain circles.  The Genie Go is incredible(at not working for most people).  At least Dish is getting people talking about something..  I wish DirecTV was doing 'something' similar...

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,205 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

So because it's an extension on an existing standard, software / firmware updates could be pushed to RVU 1.0 devices to extend them to RVU 2.0?

How can they brag up the apparently significant numbers of RVU devices and announce RVU 2.0 when they have yet to certify at least one RVU Server?

From what I read, RVU TVs represent a minority of active RVU clients and RVU clients are, in turn, a significant minority of the various devices (including H2x and HR2x) that draw content from Genies.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 867 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

It's the DirecTV is the best at everything even when their obviously not attitude that is so prevalent in certain circles.

Yes, I've run into a number of the members of the Unofficial D* Defense Team over the years.

If you're in any way critiquing D*, their services or their policies you're met with a number of excuses from the apologists.
  • damondlt likes this

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,205 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

I think this is more a case of leap-frogging than catching up. The Hopper/Joey system was already substantially the equal of the Genie/Mini/nomad system.

The use of the word "Cloud" in this press release (or any other announcement that proclaims that something has incorporated Cloud technology) is a feeble attempt to hide the fact that there's really nothing new to talk about. I'm just a frog's hair breadth away from dismissing anything and everything that claims residence in "The Cloud".

The RVU 2.0 part is an obvious attempt to show that the RVU is trying to play catch up with the advanced client-server systems from the cable companies as cypherx pointed out in post #3.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,205 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

If you're in any way critiquing D*, their services or their policies you're met with a number of excuses from the apologists.

To be fair, making excuses happens on both sides. What makes the DIRECTV apologist unique is that they so often retreat to the absence of certain full-time HD RSNs or NFL ST on DISH as reasons that DISH obviously loses any direct comparison. There are a few that play the (arguable) PQ card but that could be a legitimate beef in that it can apply to everyone.

#15 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,041 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

I think this is more a case of leap-frogging than catching up. The Hopper/Joey system was already substantially the equal of the Genie/Mini/nomad system.

Having just come back from CES this morning, and spending more than 2 hours in the Dish booth there with senior folks...getting an intimate look at Hopper and Joey, as well as questions being answered directly...

Nothing could be further from the truth. Hopper and Joey has more smoke and mirrors in how they operate under the covers than a Vegas magic show.

In addition, the strategic path Dish chose to follow in contrast to DirecTV also exposes a distinct difference in the vision of what services to offer and what controls the user has to manage their own user experience. Without saying one or the other is superior (because that's actually a subjective opinion for ANY person on that topic), I can say that when the system comparisons are done via a detailed technical and operational compare - Dish is about 6-18 months behind DirecTV on many fronts, the variance being which specific device is being reviewed.

People can agree or disagree of course - but having seen and heard from the experts on both sides - the evidence is extremely obvious if you have that firsthand information. Press releases reveal about 10% of the facts.

#16 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,041 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

i don't subscribe to Dish, but having seen how well Dish integrated Sling and how smoothly it works in person, I wish that my GenieGo worked that smoothly and easily. I also think the picture quality was better on the Dish mobile app, whatever it was called. They may be playing catch-up in some areas, but when they do release something it seems to work well. Better than the D* at times too.

Comparing Sling and GenieGo is simple apples to oranges. The two technologies are designed for entirely different purposes.

I enjoy and like both technologies - but they are not intended to address the same user needs - only streaming is an overlap.

In terms of the topic of this thread...

What is announced and obvious is that the RVU Alliance is a strategic direction that multiple HDTV manufacturers are embracing, and more may adopt going forward.

#17 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

Well it sounds like the new hopper has 5 tuners. Just Dish ensures that the major networks are all on the same transponder in every market. I bet DirecTV could do that too, as long as all the major networks lined up properly. That 5th tuner could record abc,cbs,fox and nbc if on the same tuner. Right? Or is the technology different with SWM?

#18 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

There is no new Hopper, there is a new Super Joey that has two sat tuners is it that the Hopper can use. Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#19 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,789 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

To be fair, making excuses happens on both sides. What makes the DIRECTV apologist unique is that they so often retreat to the absence of certain full-time HD RSNs or NFL ST on DISH as reasons that DISH obviously loses any direct comparison. There are a few that play the (arguable) PQ card but that could be a legitimate beef in that it can apply to everyone.

PQ may apply to everyone, but it matters to some people but not to others. Just like NFLST, certain channels being carried in HD or not at all, international programming options, features present or missing in the respective products.

There isn't anything that could be a universal advantage for either company because everyone is different. Some people are willing to switch providers over a difference in PQ, others are content to subscribe to SD only. Some people will choose Directv because they have NFLST, even if they were otherwise very unhappy with them, others could care less and wouldn't take it if it was offered as free for life.

Even price only comes into play as a universal advantage if you feel both completely meet all your needs. Otherwise, many people are happy to pay more if they feel they're getting more of what they want, better customer service, or something silly like one's receivers matching the look of their other components better.

• damondlt, sigma1914 and DBSSTEPHEN like this

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#20 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,041 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:42 AM

There is no new Hopper, there is a new Super Joey that has two sat tuners is it that the Hopper can use. Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Yup.

Staying on topic...

DirecTV has clearly taken the path to embrace RVU and be a participant in the Alliance, along with some of the biggest HDTV manufacturers. Based on the most recent year and at CES, it's clear, more manufacturers are looking to get on this bandwagon. This bodes well for DirecTV and more importantly for it's customers. It means integrated delivery of products and services can/will be more cost-effective, reliable, and truly integrated. It also opens the door for future endeavors.

Dish has taken a different approach. That's not to criticize them nor use any comparison to justify a "one is better than the other" discussion. They have simply gone down their own strategic direction.

Having seen RVU at CES this year in the Samsung booth, for example, its clear where the valur proposition will be for manufacturers, DirecTV, and DirecTV customers going forward.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...