Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Do i renew or is it automatic?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:42 AM

I've always had cable so i never had a contract. My two years is ending soon so what do i have to do if anything? When my contract runs out, do i purchase another 2 year contract? 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,616 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:29 AM

You don't have to do anything.   But you may now qualify for some sweet deals on equipment upgrades.

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:17 AM

You don't have to do anything.   But you may now qualify for some sweet deals on equipment upgrades.

Thank you. But when my contract is over, am i in another 2 year contract? I'm fine with equipment, but maybe some deal with programming? I currently have Showtime and Sin along with HD EP  If i add Starz it's $10, but i may drop HD EP. With the DirecTV rates going up, perhaps something along the lines of getting 6 months free HD EP?

I have TWC internet and used to have TWC cable, and still may go back to cable. I'm about 70% DirecTV right now.

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:25 AM

Do nothing and your DirecTV continues and you are not under contract. You can terminate at anytime w/o any ETFs.

You might be able to call now and ask them about programming deals. Only upgrading your equipment will put you in another contract.

Ask. It doesn't cost you anything other than some time.

#5 OFFLINE   jceman

jceman

Legend

• Registered
  • 242 posts
  • LocationNorth of Daytona Intl. Speedway

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:58 AM

I think you are under the wrong impression regarding the contracts with DirecTV.

When you first install DirecTV (or upgrade/add new equipment), it is supplied to you at a discounted cost; DirecTV wants to be sure you buy enough services, i.e. programming, to recoup most of those costs, hence the 2-year contract with heavy ETFs if you cancel service early.

Once your contract is up, it's up. Your services and packages remain unchanged until you make a change, be it services and/or equipment. Service changes such as adding/deleting premium channel packages or sports packages have no effect, adding new receivers or upgrading (from SD to HD boxes or adding a Genie) does trigger a new commitment (contract, if you prefer) on your part.

Opinions voiced by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect that of any other person or entity, living or dead, real or fictional, on this or several other planets in this universe or any other.
Close cover before striking. Bridge may freeze before road. Your mileage may vary.

#6 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,664 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:16 PM

I think you are under the wrong impression regarding the contracts with DirecTV.

When you first install DirecTV (or upgrade/add new equipment), it is supplied to you at a discounted cost; DirecTV wants to be sure you buy enough services, i.e. programming, to recoup most of those costs, hence the 2-year contract with heavy ETFs if you cancel service early.

Once your contract is up, it's up. Your services and packages remain unchanged until you make a change, be it services and/or equipment. Service changes such as adding/deleting premium channel packages or sports packages have no effect, adding new receivers or upgrading (from SD to HD boxes or adding a Genie) does trigger a new commitment (contract, if you prefer) on your part.

What he said :). So if you don't want to upgrade equipment, that's fine you don't have to (unless you want to). If you want to add or remove premium channels, Directv could possibly give you a discount or free for couple months, and you'll remain without contract, but if you upgrade equipment than what you have then it will be a 2 year contract. Directv could also give you programming package credits alongside free or discount premium channels, So I would definitely call and find out.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#7 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

Thanks guys, you've been awesome.  

#8 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

Awesome is as awesome does.

This site is chockablock full of goodies.

Everybody take a bow!!

:righton:  

#9 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,475 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

When my contract runs out, do i purchase another 2 year contract? 

You're better off not thinking of it as a contract but as a commitment.  When DirecTV provides you with equipment, you agree to continue to subscribe to their service for at least the next 24 months.  Sometimes (but not always), they will also make a commitment not to raise your rates during that same period.  But, typically, that only happens for new customers.

Realistically, unless you are looking to get rid of DirecTV, the primary difference between being under commitment not being under commitment is that you have some additional bargaining power with DirecTV if you want to upgrade your equipment or if you want to ask for some programming discounts or bill credits.  Equipment upgrades always come with a new commitment (unless done via the protection plan).  Sometimes a long term discount will also trigger a new commitment.  Always be aware if you are entering into a new commitment before accepting offers from DirecTV (especially if there is a new piece of equipment available (or on the horizon) that you want to upgrade to.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,000 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:08 AM

Upgrades always come with a commitment, regardless of Protection Plan. If they allowed a subsidized price for a Genie with no commitment, the PP would become quite popular :)

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,986 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

Upgrades always come with a commitment, regardless of Protection Plan. If they allowed a subsidized price for a Genie with no commitment, the PP would become quite popular :)

10M customers (50% of DirecTV's customer base) says is quite popular 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...