Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Snow brought pole down...

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wxman

wxman

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:53 AM

Two days ago we had 11+" of snow, and even though the dish was periodically cleaned to keep signal, the snow brought the pole down. :hair: See the picture below.

With a total of 13" of snow on the ground, how hard would be for an installer to fix this issue? I'm not going to call today because I don't want them to assign someone out here when it's still 15 below zero. It will warm up to freezing in a few days though. Any guess on how long it will take to fix once I call it in?

Thanks in advance.

dish_sml.jpg

• posty likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

Personally I'd go ahead and call it in now.  No telling how many other people have problems so you might as well get your name on the list.  As for how long?  Beats me.  If this was a pole install my gut tells me it wasn't done right as this much snow shouldn't have brought down a dish.  My last winter in the frozen north we had 44" of snow in a two or three week period and never had an issue.  Anyhow, you're dealing with the heart of winter, and an apparently brutal one, and that means potentially more snow, frozen ground, etc., etc., and all of those can delay or stop a quick fix.

Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#3 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

Either the pole bent at ground level(weak pole) or it wasn't buried deep enough in concrete.  Either one means a new hole in the ground and a new pole then after concrete has set aligning the dish.  How soon will the ground be workable?

#4 OFFLINE   wxman

wxman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

While the air temperature will get into the 30s and maybe even 40 by next Sunday, I'm not sure how fast the ground will thaw. We have 13" inches of snow to melt. The pole mount was done about 8 years ago, after the dish fell off the side of the house because the original installer put it on the siding of the garage. I upgraded to HD and the bigger dish about 4 years ago.

#5 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,238 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

It also looks like your power riser to the left of the pole and a gas meter behind it.  If I were digging, I'd want a clear ground and the utilities marked.  That could be spring.

In the meantime, I'd try to raise the pole and temporarily guy it to get signal back.  Also, not sure the coax can take much bending at below 0 temps.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#6 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

I wonder if trapped moisture in the pole might have rusted it from the inside?

Or maybe the water froze, expanded, and broke the pole.

I always back fill the onesI install with concrete, but that's just me.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,641 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

In my market we are not allow to dig while snow in on the ground, for fear of not knowing what is underneath the snow....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#8 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,033 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:14 AM

One option would be to put it back on the wall.  Assuming it is flat if it fell off that was a bad install.  On wood the center bolts must go into a stud and on brick or concrete you must use the right anchors. I do not work for DirecTV so there may be policy issues I am not aware of but I have done plenty of wall mounts with no issues.  My own has been up since I think '05 (whenever the slimline first came out) and all I have done over the years is clean it occasionally

My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,766 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

While the air temperature will get into the 30s and maybe even 40 by next Sunday, I'm not sure how fast the ground will thaw. We have 13" inches of snow to melt. The pole mount was done about 8 years ago, after the dish fell off the side of the house because the original installer put it on the siding of the garage. I upgraded to HD and the bigger dish about 4 years ago.

Wonder if they can setup a temporary tri-pole until spring.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,641 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

Wonder if they can setup a temporary tri-pole until spring.

DirecTV has no more tripods

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

Throw a non-pen on the ground.  GET THAT TV WORKING !!!

Cabin fever!!  Bad weather!!  Murder/suicide!!

:ewww:

#12 OFFLINE   wxman

wxman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

Throw a non-pen on the ground.  GET THAT TV WORKING !!!

Cabin fever!!  Bad weather!!  Murder/suicide!!

:ewww:

Yes the family is getting restless. :)

#13 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

You'll think 'restless' when they stab you in the throat with a rusty piece of downspout while you are sleeping.

:eek2:

#14 OFFLINE   wxman

wxman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

Called D* this morning. Installer scheduled to come out Friday in the 12-4pm window. If the installer can't do anything because of the snow/frozen ground we will have to suspend the account until they're able to. (Roof mount is not an option). It might be a long winter!

#15 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

And may God have mercy on your soul.

:nono2:

#16 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

Things to do before Friday - Shovel snow path and clear area around pole -  Cut the pole off  square just below the bend (saws all) Crimp the top of the remainder with channel locks- When the installer shows ups- slide the new pole over the stump (beat it with a block of wood on top if needed) Then with Drill driver- Drive #10 3/4 Self-tapping Screws into the bottom section (joining both poles) mount aim dish and that should hold you for over 90 days -when you can call in for a Dish re-alinement (installer won't get Dinged for a Call back and the ground will be unfrozen to plant a new pole.

That should get you through (or) you can subscribe to cable

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#17 OFFLINE   willardcpa

willardcpa

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

Things to do before Friday - Shovel snow path and clear area around pole -  Cut the pole off  square just below the bend (saws all) Crimp the top of the remainder with channel locks- When the installer shows ups- slide the new pole over the stump (beat it with a block of wood on top if needed) Then with Drill driver- Drive #10 3/4 Self-tapping Screws into the bottom section (joining both poles) mount aim dish and that should hold you for over 90 days -when you can call in for a Dish re-alinement (installer won't get Dinged for a Call back and the ground will be unfrozen to plant a new pole.

That should get you through (or) you can subscribe to cable

Sounds good - until you try to drive the new pole over the stump that is the same outer and inner diameter!!! :smoking:

#18 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

Sounds good - until you try to drive the new pole over the stump that is the same outer and inner diameter!!! :smoking:

That's Why you have to crimp it with the channel lock and if needed flatten one side and the pole will side down enough to make it a temp fix.

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#19 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

Too bad you're not close.  I have 2 non-pens laying around. You'd be on your own for the cement blocks, but you'd have something.

#20 OFFLINE   wxman

wxman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

Evidently the pole mount installation was originally done bad. Installer said ground may be ok by the end of next week to reinstall it.

spam firewall