Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

LNB Differences?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   maineengineer

maineengineer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

What is(are) the specific difference(s) between the SL3K4NR1-01 and the SL3K4NR0-02 Slimline 3 (non-SWM) LNBs?  I was shipped the former to replace the latter in an existing setup, and I do see an additional "knub" on the former that I'm concerned may  be an issue in fully inserting the LNB into the arm (it's EXTREMELY cold up here in Maine, and I don't want to pull apart a well-weatherized connection only to not be able to complete the replacement).  Thanks in advance for any experienced guidance here.

Edited by maineengineer, 07 January 2014 - 04:50 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

could you post pictures?

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

maybe different manufacturer but the LNBs are the same.  all Slimline LNBs have the "knob" at the bottom

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,218 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

They appear to be very little difference in Google images searches I found.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#5 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

Those LNBs are interchangeable.

DirecTV model numbers follow a pattern: Part Revision - Manufacturer

Here the part is SL3K4N.

The revision is designated by R#. This is not necessarily consistent between manufacturers.

-01 is manufactured by WNC and -02 is manufactured by Probrand/Eagle Aspen. There can be differences between manufacturers. The differences are usually cosmetic. As long as the part is the same they are designed to be interchangeable.

DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#6 OFFLINE   maineengineer

maineengineer

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:41 PM

Thanks to all, but "extra credit" goes to dielray, for tying the model numbers to the manufacturers.  The troublesome unit is much more temperature sensitive (i.e. stops working at 10 degrees F) than anything I've worked with in the past in this application (typically zero and below), and it appears from the posting that my replacement unit is a Winegard, for an existing Eagle Aspen.  I do realize that temperature failures can be related to something other than the LNB, but it's comforting to know when I'm working sub-zero that my replacement is from a different manufacturer, so I can test my theory as well as the respective units.  That information was exactly of the nature I was looking for, and I'm grateful that someone (and indeed everyone)  took the time to pass it along. 

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

FWIW, if I had a choice, I will always choose Eagle_aspen among the other LNB manufacturers 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:52 PM

haha peds......this year its the eagles that arnt working below zero here!!

Not as bad as the wnc epedemic with 95% failure we had 3 years ago, but HSP is running around changing out eagles this year.

• studechip likes this
Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

Not as bad as the wnc epedemic with 95% failure we had 3 years ago, but HSP is running around changing out eagles this year.

Not sure what you are referring to...  I have not hear anything that proves that

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

Not sure what you are referring to...  I have not hear anything that proves that

Proves what?? the wnc issue? All dealers in the area were sent wnc lnbs that were incompatible with h24-700 receivers. HSP had no issues what so ever because they were using h24-100 refurbs.

All the dealers were to blaime for lously installations, it took 9 months for directv to admit there was a problem and sent out a tech bulletin.

As soon as it went below zero my friend at HSP was swapping eagles left and right at service calls this year. He called and told me about it and thats all i had in inventory was about 90 eagle aspens and i started freaking out , thought we were gonna do this all over again.......aparently the ones i was using were different models, i have had any issues with mine.

Edited by Jodean, 09 January 2014 - 05:26 PM.

Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

#11 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,975 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

Proves what?? the wnc issue? All dealers in the area were sent wnc lnbs that were incompatible with h24-700 receivers. HSP had no issues what so ever because they were using h24-100 refurbs.

How can a LNB be incompatible with a certain model of receiver? Unless it was a legacy LNB and a SWM only receiver or vice versa I don't see how that's possible??

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

How can a LNB be incompatible with a certain model of receiver? Unless it was a legacy LNB and a SWM only receiver or vice versa I don't see how that's possible??

yup, does not make any sense... 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

He always has issues no one else has ever heard of.

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

Oh, I see...

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:01 AM

Studechip liked his post, so maybe he has heard of this issue.?

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

#16 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:36 AM

IIRC 4 years ago D12-100s had a software issue that made them not play nice with Zinwell LNBs, so there is at least precedent.

I'm not sure what Jordean is referring to about historical problems with the H24-700s. I don't remember seeing a blast facts on it. Though right now we are swapping out H24-700s non-stop on SWM systems for intermittent 771/775 and our SWM LNBS have mostly always been WNC. This has only been happening for us since 0x0740 was released in the area however.

DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#17 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,975 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

IIRC 4 years ago D12-100s had a software issue that made them not play nice with Zinwell LNBs, so there is at least precedent.

I'm not sure what Jordean is referring to about historical problems with the H24-700s. I don't remember seeing a blast facts on it. Though right now we are swapping out H24-700s non-stop on SWM systems for intermittent 771/775 and our SWM LNBS have mostly always been WNC. This has only been happening for us since 0x0740 was released in the area however.

Interesting. The reason I specifically asked Jodean about that was because I have 7 H24-700s, so if there was a problem that might affect them I'd want to know. I don't use a SWM LNB, but mine seem to be working just fine off SWM16s...

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#18 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

Interesting. The reason I specifically asked Jodean about that was because I have 7 H24-700s, so if there was a problem that might affect them I'd want to know. I don't use a SWM LNB, but mine seem to be working just fine off SWM16s...

Id not worry about anything. ;)

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

Studechip liked his post, so maybe he has heard of this issue.? Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

Perhaps because the highlighted part was true

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

would love to know why a receiver would work with a EA SWM LNB and not a WNC?  how can a receiver tell the difference?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...