Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SL5S4NR2-02 Cold Weather

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sammycomelately

Sammycomelately

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

So I search from several years ago there were bad WNC SWM LNB's, that would not work when it was less than 0 degrees F.

My green label SL54NR2-02 keeps cutting out at less than ~0 degrees this winter too.

Was/is there a bad run of Proband/Eagle Aspen?  Because I got it becasue I though they were the good ones for cold weather?  Is this the first winter the bad run is showing up?  Lots of them, or only a few unfortunate people like me?

Should I look for a newer WNC at this point, or I have a nonSWM LNB I could switch over to but then I would need to buy a SWM8.  I prefer the SWM LNB simplicity, but not if I keep having to buy these things to find one that works in cold weather.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:55 PM

This would be the first winter that revision has been put to the test.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,655 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

This would be the first winter that revision has been put to the test.

I am pretty sure they don't wait to test them on the field.  

My guess is that the TS just have a bad LNB

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

I am pretty sure they don't wait to test them on the field.  

My guess is that the TS just have a bad LNB

I'm not sure what their testing procedures are, but it isn't until they hit the field that they are truly tested.

When this latest revision was released we were putting in the WNC(-01) version of the SWM3 LNB. The first 3 months worth of batches had signal strengths 5 - 10 points below the typical values of the previous revision on the Ka sats. They actually lowered our IV levels due to the number of ISS calls it generated.

That said, I don't know if there are cold weather issues with any current model. They are new, and this will be their first winter.

Jordean in the LNB Differences? thread seemed to suggest he has seen an issue. I know our Duluth office has been returning 5 LNBs for cold weather issues, though I'm not sure what manufacturer they have. Perhaps techs working in an area that uses -02 LNBs can comment further.

All I can really say for sure is I have not been seeing cold weather issues with the -01 versions.

DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#5 OFFLINE   Sammycomelately

Sammycomelately

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for the comments so far, I am leaning towards buying a -01, but I also see a -14 out there too.  I don't know who makes that one?  Any opinions on the -14?

#6 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:47 AM

I'm not sure who makes the -14 either. -03 is made by Zinwell I believe.

We only got the very occasional batch in of -14, not enough for me to really form an opinion on.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...