Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR 20-700 decides to stop talking to Genie

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

I've got an HR 20-700 that I replaced with a Genie in my family room a couple of months ago. After moving it to the bedroom, it worked just fine -- I could see the recordings on it from the new system downstairs, and I could see recordings from the new box on the old one. At least until early this morning. 

Apparently there was a software update overnight that broke the system. It not only will not see the Genie downstairs, it won't even see programming on any channel. I can see and watch recordings already on it (I've gotta watch a couple of movies before it dies completely), but nothing else. And likewise, the Genie can't see or use that tuner either.

I called tech support today (I got a nice woman on the phone who made a point to tell me she was in Mississippi), who had me (yet again and even though I had done it at least five separate times today) RBR the system, disconnect and reconnect the wires and RBR it once again. Still no love from the system. She says she can have a tech sent out or have a replacement box sent out (I've got the protection plan and have had it for several years) -- at least once I pay my past due bill (which'll happen on the 15th)...

My question -- am I better off having a tech come out (I would presume he would have a replacement box in his bag-o-tricks) or to just have them send me a replacement box... And which box would I likely see as the replacement when I get it (or the tech brings it out)?

Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,746 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

drop ship form DirecTV , most likely and older receiver.  tech might replace it with an HR24

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

Tech replaced the HR 20 with an HR24 - works like a dream. Only downside now is that my HR44 isn't talking (completely) to the internet (no Pandora/YouTube, though it did work when I first had it installed in November) and it's not pulling down the channel logos.

Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,240 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:09 PM

For the latter, try a double menu reset, then give it at least a day to populate the Guide and logos.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...