Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2nd residence question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Garry

Garry

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

Not sure if this is the correct place for this question, but, here goes.

I presently have my main residence with Directv with a total of 3 DVRS and 2 other receivers. I recently purchased a condo unit in a large development in which Directv service is provided.

Would it be possib le, when being in the condo, take one of the DVRS from my main residence and hook it up at my condo? Even if paying for HD service at the condo?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

Condo has a bulk MDU D* contract ?

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

Do you know what type of system is being used in the condo?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   Garry

Garry

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

Yes, I believe it does have a bulk MDU D* contract. And I don't know what type of system is used.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:35 PM

The rule is separate locations separate accounts and the receivers must be at the location stated on the account.

I can understand your logic if you are paying for an account at each location ... especially if the accounts are on the same level. But you would lose me on any rationalization for breaking the rule if the accounts were not equal. (For example, if you have Sunday Ticket at home but not at the condo and you bring your home receiver to the condo to watch content not subscribed to at that location.) There is a lot of "rationalization" when it comes to these kinds of questions ("tailgating" at the second location, etc). But we don't get into the rationalization discussions ... the rules are the rule.

The rule is separate locations separate accounts and the receivers must be at the location stated on the account.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,907 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:41 AM

As far as whether or not the receiver would even work, it depends on what type of MDU system is installed.  But if you are going to pay for a second account regardless, you might as well have a receiver dedicated to that location (and be fully within the terms of service).

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,701 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

The pertinent language is located in the phone connection topic (Article 1f of the Customer Agreement) and has been recently updated to include a common Internet connection so this may represent a shift in how they effectively determine eligibility for mirroring as well as, perhaps, a new emphasis on enforcement.

Previously, this language was difficult to enforce, but not so much now.

Edited by harsh, 09 January 2014 - 11:33 AM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   Garry

Garry

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

I can understand your logic if you are paying for an account at each location ... especially if the accounts are on the same level. But you would lose me on any rationalization for breaking the rule if the accounts were not equal. (For example, if you have Sunday Ticket at home but not at the condo and you bring your home receiver to the condo to watch content not subscribed to at that location.) There is a lot of "rationalization" when it comes to these kinds of questions ("tailgating" at the second location, etc). But we don't get into the rationalization discussions ... the rules are the rule.

Wasn't trying to rationalize anything, just asking if it was posslble. I have no intention of breaking any rules.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...