Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cosmos 2014

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

This is something I've been looking forward to. Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey will premiere March 9 on Fox and Nat Geo. This is the update to Carl Sagan's work, hosted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson, produced by Ann Druyan (Sagan's widow) and Seth McFarlane. To go along with the premiere, there will also be a two hour "Live From Space" from the ISS as well as Houston.

As someone that watched the spacewalks fixing the ISS, I'll be watching both :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

Thanks for the heads-up

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

My favorite show when it ran in the 80's.

Well, tied with Connections.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#4 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

My favorite show when it ran in the 80's.

Well, tied with Connections.

Great show Connection.

#5 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

Glad we agree. James Burke is as fascinating as it gets.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

And what's amazing is that for something so old, the original Cosmos is still pretty right on the science. Of course he didn't mire it down in detail, it was generally quite broad in scope, and that helps.

#7 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

Maybe, "Cosmos Remake Premiers" rather than "Cosmos Returns"?

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#8 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

picky, picky

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

Maybe "Returns" is the wrong word, but it's also not a remake. 

#10 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:34 AM

Maybe, "Cosmos Remake Premiers" rather than "Cosmos Returns"?

It's not a remake, it's a continuation.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

This is part of an interview he did with Bill Moyers, about half an hour.

http://billmoyers.co...the-new-cosmos/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#12 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

It's neither, it should be called, Cosmos: TNG

tn_7627629_6755328_b.jpg

Edited by Nick, 13 January 2014 - 04:19 PM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#13 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

I was a little slow getting around to finding this August article Seth MacFarlane's Cosmos: When Good Intentions and Huge Egos Collide:

Last month at Comic-Con, Fox premiered the trailer for Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey, a "sequel" to Cosmos: A Personal Journey, the 1980 PBS documentary series created by husband-and-wife team Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan. The reboot had been announced last summer and prompted a fair amount of head-scratching, not because of its concept — Cosmos remains one of the most beloved documentaries ever created, and an update that, say, steered the Spaceship of the Imagination into a Higgs-Boson particle would be more than welcome — or even the network that would be airing it, which is more well-known for singing teenagers and evil animated babies than meditative explorations of the foundations of our universe and reality. And certainly not because of its new host, astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, who through numerous TED talks and Colbert Report appearances has proved himself to be a captivating speaker, extremely adept at making even the most abstract concepts digestible to a layperson. Nope, the weirdness was that it was coming to you courtesy of the man who brought you that evil animated baby and an entirely different Ted, Family Guy creator and renowned boob seer Seth MacFarlane.

My initial gut reaction, which I’m sure was similar to that of many others, was mild horror, but this being America, Seth MacFarlane can do whatever he so pleases, and I'd take his Cosmos any day over Ted: The Series. The former at least hints at MacFarlane's desire to expand his horizons, and I may not be his biggest fan, but I'm loath to be one of those haters who actively roots for problematic people to stay in their rut and never try to improve as humans and creators. MacFarlane seems to be genuinely reverent of Sagan's original work: "I’m dismayed at the rejection of science that’s reemerging in America. There’s nothing out there that glamorizes science the way Cosmos did," he told Wired last summer. MacFarlane, like everybody else, has interests outside his primary line of work, and the workings of space-time appears to be one of them (me, too, Seth!)....

The writer goes on offer some fearful skepticism. But Sagan and Druyan were of a generation that communicated to people whose attention span was longer than 144 characters. Tyson and MacFarlane have been effective at holding the attention of the Twitter generation. Well, actually, the appeal of the show back then was limited and likely the sequel will have a limited audience.

Anyway, I love this trailer:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

I was less concerned about McFarlane than Fox being involved. They are the ones that did the "documentary" on the Moon landing being faked.

However, I have faith that Tyson would never agree to be involved with something that wasn't accurate. I found his Sagan story interesting. Someone saw something in Tyson at age 17, I'm sure Sagan even then didn't look at that many incoming applications, then to personally invite Tyson to campus and give him a tour. It can't be just that Tyson was from the Bronx and Sagan from Brooklyn.

Still wasn't enough for Tyson to choose Cornell though :)

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

And what's amazing is that for something so old, the original Cosmos is still pretty right on the science. Of course he didn't mire it down in detail, it was generally quite broad in scope, and that helps.

I've got the original Cosmos series on DVD.  Pretty bad PQ, but if you want it, send me your mailing address and I'll send it to you, if I still have it and if I can find it.  

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

The thing I remember most about that show is how quickly it put me to sleep.  Sagan's voice was soporific (always wanted to use that word, first opportunity).  It took me a long time, and many naps, to work my way thru that.  I did enjoy it and I like naps, so it all worked out.  At the time it was aired, it was pretty mind-blowing, I think.

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

The thing I remember most about that show is how quickly it put me to sleep.  Sagan's voice was soporific (always wanted to use that word, first opportunity).  It took me a long time, and many naps, to work my way thru that.  I did enjoy it and I like naps, so it all worked out.  At the time it was aired, it was pretty mind-blowing, I think.

Rich

If that show first aired in '80, I must have recorded reruns on my VCRs.  Seemed like I watched it "billions and billions" of times before I finally finished it.

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

The first 20 seconds almost put me to sleep.  There's just something about Sagan's voice...

Rich

#20 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

Rich

He did have that kind of voice, when he wasn't whooping at least.

I actually have a copy, but thanks for the offer.

I do wish I had met him, I did see his house once, from a distance. I was told that if you drove by with the radio on, it would go haywire. Don't know if that's true, though it was a very interesting house, the original building was for a secret society.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...