Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cosmos 2014

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,564 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

Many people think Carl Sagan was the "Genius of the 20th Century".  After reading several of his books, I agree.  His last book was a good read.

Your DVD set have a good picture?  I've been wishing for a BD of the original.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,883 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

He definitely had his critics in the academic world, he was of course too "popular" and as time went on did less and less actual teaching at Cornell. 

I did run into an interesting story, of a film student getting an invitation to dinner at the Sagan house, for no reason that he knew of, he didn't even attend Cornell.

http://adaptingsidew...-dr-carl-sagan/

#23 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,883 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

Alan Silvestri has been announced as composer.

#24 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:57 PM

The thing I remember most about that show is how quickly it put me to sleep.  Sagan's voice was soporific (always wanted to use that word, first opportunity).  It took me a long time, and many naps, to work my way thru that.  I did enjoy it and I like naps, so it all worked out.  At the time it was aired, it was pretty mind-blowing, I think.

Rich

I won't deny the "soporific" quality, but I think that is a narrow description of what Sagan brought to the show. He had a gentle, puposeful delivery that seemed very comforting, and his boundless enthusiasm was what made listeners stop and investigate whether there was something profound behind the wall of words.

After all, this was information that could not be imparted in 140 characters; it was long and droning just in its nature, and anything less would have done it a disservice. Sagan found a way to do this without talking down to us mere mortals. He was pretty terrific at that.

Personally, I loved both the exploration and the dispense of knowledge but I also was very comforted by it being delivered by Carl Sagan, who was the perfect host for a series such as this. He felt like a "genius uncle" who you always were delighted by whenever he would visit. I was very sad when he passed.

And, IIRC correctly, the phrase "billions and billions" was nothing more than something conceived in a SNL-type parody (but more a tribute than mean-spirited), and Sagan never actually uttered that phrase even once in the entire series.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#25 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,271 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

...And, IIRC correctly, the phrase "billions and billions" was nothing more than something conceived in a SNL-type parody (but more a tribute than mean-spirited), and Sagan never actually uttered that phrase even once in the entire series.

I had always attributed the "billions and billions" phrase to Sagan.

If, in fact, it was from an SNL parody, at least it was ~accurate.* Can

anyone dig up that SNL episode/sketch on YouTube?

* :shrug:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#26 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,236 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

"Despite being known for, and frequently quoted with, his famous phrase "billions and billions...", Carl Sagan never actually said it during the entire single-season run of Cosmos (1980). The actual phrase is "billions UPON billions," and the complete quote which includes this often-misquoted phrase is "A galaxy is composed of gas and dust and stars - billions upon billions of stars.""

Source

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#27 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,564 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:28 PM

I won't deny the "soporific" quality, but I think that is a narrow description of what Sagan brought to the show. He had a gentle, puposeful delivery that seemed very comforting, and his boundless enthusiasm was what made listeners stop and investigate whether there was something profound behind the wall of words.

After all, this was information that could not be imparted in 140 characters; it was long and droning just in its nature, and anything less would have done it a disservice. Sagan found a way to do this without talking down to us mere mortals. He was pretty terrific at that.

Personally, I loved both the exploration and the dispense of knowledge but I also was very comforted by it being delivered by Carl Sagan, who was the perfect host for a series such as this. He felt like a "genius uncle" who you always were delighted by whenever he would visit. I was very sad when he passed.

And, IIRC correctly, the phrase "billions and billions" was nothing more than something conceived in a SNL-type parody (but more a tribute than mean-spirited), and Sagan never actually uttered that phrase even once in the entire series.

I didn't say I didn't like the show.  I said his voice put me to sleep.  I never referenced anything negative about him.  

#28 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,564 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

I had always attributed the "billions and billions" phrase to Sagan.

If, in fact, it was from an SNL parody, at least it was ~accurate.* Can

anyone dig up that SNL episode/sketch on YouTube?

* :shrug:

So we got it screwed up because we used "and" instead of "upon"?  We should be flailed.  I can only hope that it is the last mistake we both make.  

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

I didn't say I didn't like the show.  I said his voice put me to sleep.  I never referenced anything negative about him.  

Didn't say you didn't. Go back and read, then read my sig.

Henry's source indicates it was a Johnny Carson impression that the parody sprung from.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#30 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,564 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

Didn't say you didn't. Go back and read, then read my sig.

Henry's source indicates it was a Johnny Carson impression that the parody sprung from.

Nah, think I'll go play with my three phase DC motor.

#31 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

Suit yourself, that sounds fascinating. Be sure to post something meaningless and out of context regarding that, too.

#32 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,858 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:12 AM

Insert series premiere alert and to set your DVRs.
  • Henry likes this
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#33 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,406 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:55 PM

For all I know it could have been SNL though I couldn't find a clip, but here's Johnny:

But I do believe the original "Cosmos" episode ran September 28, 1980.

Edited by phrelin, 01 March 2014 - 06:58 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#34 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

I recall 'back on the day' Sagan being asked about his considerable amount of face time on Cosmos, and he said the answer was quite simple.

Despite the generosity of the donors and backers, the series was necessarily quite expensive to produce and it was relatively 'cheap' for him to pose in front of a set piece and go on with the monologue for a while.

(I think at the time we were then supposed to call in during the next pledge drive and bump up our donation, LOL)

:righton:

#35 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:34 PM

National Geographic Channel is also showing the entire 13 Episode Original series starting 3/8/2014 at 11am Central time for those wanting to record it.

• sigma1914 likes this

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#36 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

I recall 'back on the day' Sagan being asked about his considerable amount of face time on Cosmos, and he said the answer was quite simple.

Despite the generosity of the donors and backers, the series was necessarily quite expensive to produce and it was relatively 'cheap' for him to pose in front of a set piece and go on with the monologue for a while.

(I think at the time we were then supposed to call in during the next pledge drive and bump up our donation, LOL)

:righton:

If that is indeed the case, it is only a tribute to how good Carl Sagan was at doing that. The show was absolutely spell-binding, and maybe he's why.

#37 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,236 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:48 PM

Insert series premiere alert and to set your DVRs.

Done ... thanks for the reminder.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#38 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

I am a little curious.

The episode titles for the eps that will be on FOX do not match the ep titles for the shows on Nat Geo on 3-8. Are there two different new Cosmos products out there (not including the 1980 version)?

Guess I'll just record it all and sort it out later.

#39 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,883 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

No, it's the same. The first episode is being broadcast on more channels, then will settle onto Fox on Sundays, Nat Geo on Monday.

#40 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

No, they were not. The 3-8 eps on Nat Geo were actually the 1980 series.

There was a prologue by Ann Druyan; it is easy to see how a genius scientist would be attracted to another genius scientist like her, she is a very impressive person. Still kinda hot, too.

I had little time, but I watched the first 5 minutes. Just that lucious orchestral music took me all the way back to 1980, and Sagan was everything I remembered, if not more.

Sadly, it was not retelecined to HD, but was an old SD copy (on an HD network). I would almost rather buy the DVDs.

Word on the street is that Obama will intro the show tonight on FOX.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...