Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cosmos 2014

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

Not real HD but better than DVD. Wonder if the original series could be restored fir bluray along with the sequel?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

No, they were not. The 3-8 eps on Nat Geo were actually the 1980 series.

There was a prologue by Ann Druyan; it is easy to see how a genius scientist would be attracted to another genius scientist like her, she is a very impressive person. Still kinda hot, too.

I had little time, but I watched the first 5 minutes. Just that lucious orchestral music took me all the way back to 1980, and Sagan was everything I remembered, if not more.

Sadly, it was not retelecined to HD, but was an old SD copy (on an HD network). I would almost rather buy the DVDs.

Word on the street is that Obama will intro the show tonight on FOX.

Thanks for the warning.  I'll make sure to skip the first few minutes.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#43 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:07 AM

Of course I liked the whole thing, but I puckered up during the cartoons in the beginning.

I get that they are trying to walk the public gently over the creation story using a picture board type idea.

But I suspect that is going to be a real sticking point the next day.

The cartoons even gave the impressions that.....

Never mind, I am sure this will be overblown in the morning to explain what i am saying here.

Damn it. I really wanted this show to work. But it made a bad start and now it is doomed.

John Stewart and Bill Maher can get away the facts on cable.

I hope I am wrong about this, but ironically, a show about our evolution may get killed due to our lack of it.

#44 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,740 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:18 AM

No, they were not. The 3-8 eps on Nat Geo were actually the 1980 series.

Right, but your question excluded the 1980s series. Now, supposedly there is extra content on Nat Geo, will have to see if it's worth anything.

Over all, I really liked it. My main beef, and only because Tyson has called others out on the same thing, is the showing of the asteroid belt and Oort Cloud was very inaccurate. He should have passed at most one asteroid, not dodging them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#45 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

Right, but your question excluded the 1980s series. Now, supposedly there is extra content on Nat Geo, will have to see if it's worth anything.

Over all, I really liked it. My main beef, and only because Tyson has called others out on the same thing, is the showing of the asteroid belt and Oort Cloud was very inaccurate. He should have passed at most one asteroid, not dodging them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm ambivalent. On the one hand, the series can stand alone and be grossly entertaining.  On the other hand I find it falling short of the standard set by Sagan. I found myself continuously comparing the two to the point of mental distraction.

Could you expand on your asteroid/Oort Cloud dislike? 

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#46 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

I'm ambivalent. On the one hand, the series can stand alone and be grossly entertaining.  On the other hand I find it falling short of the standard set by Sagan. I found myself continuously comparing the two to the point of mental distraction.

Carl Sagan was incomparable, in my opinion.  Probably not fair to make comparisons, no?  I didn't expect to see anyone of Sagan's caliber on the show.  

Rich

• Henry likes this

#47 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,740 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

He's called out other shows and movies for moving through the asteroid belt dodging asteroids. But it's just not like that. The total mass of the entire belt is about 4% of the Moon. For the Oort Cloud, he mentions that the objects are at least as far apart as the Earth is to Saturn, yet his ship is dodging them left and right.

• Henry likes this

#48 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:42 AM

He's called out other shows and movies for moving through the asteroid belt dodging asteroids. But it's just not like that. The total mass of the entire belt is about 4% of the Moon. For the Oort Cloud, he mentions that the objects are at least as far apart as the Earth is to Saturn, yet his ship is dodging them left and right.

:grin:   I guess the producers saw fit to take artistic license.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#49 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:43 AM

Carl Sagan was incomparable, in my opinion.  Probably not fair to make comparisons, no?  I didn't expect to see anyone of Sagan's caliber on the show.  

Rich

So true, Rich. Serves me right for falling for Fox's hype.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#50 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,740 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

Tyson really is the best one for the job.

#51 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,740 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:03 AM

:grin:   I guess the producers saw fit to take artistic license.

It wouldn't bother me if he didn't call out others for doing the same thing. I can see why they'd do it though.

#52 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

Tyson really is the best one for the job.

+1 

I was taken by Tyson's account of Sagan's mentoring.  In this case, Tyson is the best person for the job, but in so doing, he exposes his inability to equal Sagan's wit, sense of wonder, ease of expression, and other "stuff". It was the gentle teacher in Sagan that opened our eyes to the immensity around us and its impact on our very lives.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#53 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,740 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

Ouch, John C. Dvorak is definitely not a fan, though he's rarely a fan of anything...

"I found Cosmos to be uninformative pretentious dreck. Wasn't the director of this the guy responsible tfor the death of Star Trek? Good pick"

#54 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

So true, Rich. Serves me right for falling for Fox's hype.

I've recorded it on a couple HRs but I might just wait until Netflix gets it.  Shouldn't be long and the PQ will be a lot better.

Rich

#55 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

Right, but your question excluded the 1980s series...

Actually, I referred to the 1980 series by name right there in that same post. I'm not sure how whether I referenced it or not would have any bearing on how incorrect your answer was regarding my simple question as to whether those shows were the same ones to start the next evening on FOX. They still were not.

I loved the first ep (new series). Did anyone else notice the human face in the red storm on Jupiter?

I thought the animation lived up to the hype and the shot of the mars rover-type vehicles with Tyson's "spaceship" going by in the background was cleverly done. And I am still a fan of the cosmic calendar analogy, which still blows my mind.

And I am now an even bigger fan of Tyson. I had heard how he wanted to try to "channel" Sagan and make his narration as close to his as possible, which he exceeded brilliantly at, but the story of a 17-year-old Tyson visiting Sagan at Cornell (?) really tied that all together.

At first I thought, OK, get the biggest name in TV-exposed scientists you can find and ask him to host, but now I see how good at this he really is, which is pretty serendipidous. The perfect scientist also turns out to be the most-skilled host you could imagine. Go figure.

But as much as I liked this first ep, the 5 minutes of the original series that I watched Saturday in crappy SD had an even stronger emotional impact on me.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#56 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

Those last few minutes in which Tyson shared with us his visit with Sagan did the trick for me.  Up until that point, I could take this new show or leave it.  To me Tyson lacked Sagan's charisma and ease of expression. While I agree that the visuals were state-of-the-art-excellent, the presentation just didn't follow.  Of course, I know now that my ambivalence was caused by my expectations ... how could Tyson ever satisfy my Sagan addiction? Well, he couldn't. Instead he offered Sagan credentials that were good enough for me. Those last few minutes made Tyson relevant in my book.

Now I'm looking forward to next week's episode at ease in the knowledge that this sort of success was what Carl wanted for Neil, and that Neil isn't just another Fox-anointed opportunist trying to steal Carl's thunder.

p.s. That cosmic calendar is still my favorite.  I hope Tyson does the Drake equation.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#57 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:23 PM

Somehow Tyson pulled that [I have an actual Sagan connection] off without sounding like he was in need of shoring up his credentials for us due to him feeling the pressure to validate them. If not he would have been like Fredo in The Godfather: "I'm smart, I can do things!" (maybe that was GFII)

And it is likely that with all of his TV experience as "guest scientific expert", hosting/narrating something this big for network television is probably very new for him, which means as good as he was, at least in my mind, he will probably only get better as the series goes along.

It is also very likely that he has no say in whatever creative license the visual effects department chooses to use, even if their incorrectness might annoy him.

• Henry likes this
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#58 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

+1

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#59 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,740 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

And from the story I've read elsewhere about the kid who was accidentally invited to a dinner party at Sagan's house, there is no doubt in my mind that this is exactly something Sagan would do.

#60 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

Hmmm. Someone at USA Today (?) maybe somewhere else said he thought that while Tyson has a great on-screen persona, Sagan never had that.

While I agree that Sagan was more of a nerd and did not have the conventional telepresence expected, I strongly disagree that any of that was of any handicap to him hosting the show in 1980. If anything, it may have worked in his favor. Charisma comes in a lot of flavors, and isn't always about what you look like. I'm pretty sure many of you agree with me, as this thread has been mostly a well-deserved Sagan lovefest.

spam firewall