Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cosmos 2014

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 544 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

Now being at the end of the series, I'll say that I still find the older one more satisfying for several reasons. I think the reliance on animation in the new one was a distraction, not an asset, and the other thing that struck me was a sort of defiant attitude that the original lacked. In Dr. Sagan's day it was "look at the wonderful future that science will bring us, and how we got there" and the new one was more "seriously, you pinheads still don't believe in science?"

Whether or not you feel that attitude was necessary is probably the subject for a different forum, so I simply put it out there that there was less childlike wonder and more educated finger-wagging in the new one.

For some of the material covered I would say the same thing about the above in quotation marks. Climate change for one. Anyone with 5 functioning brain cells knows it's happening yet it's still being denied.

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:46 PM

Climate change for one. Anyone with 5 functioning brain cells knows it's happening yet it's still being denied.

No arguing with that, but then anyone with six or more...

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#83 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,097 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:15 AM

And that's why that particular example (and a few others) should be left alone on the forum :)

#84 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,264 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:15 AM

Not convincing as in not believable? If someone doesn't agree with what Tysons said, they wouldn't believe Cox. Then of course there would be those that wouldn't watch because he's British. Kind of like Dreamworks wanted an American accent for Wallace in Wallace and Gromit.

Sent from my Z10 using DBSTalk mobile app

Almost. More like "I'm not convinced of your conviction". I have no reason to think he'd lie to me --- I mean, it's not a political show. To me he comes across as one who doesn't believe in what he's saying.

I wonder if the universe works differently in England?

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#85 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:33 AM

Almost. More like "I'm not convinced of your conviction". I have no reason to think he'd lie to me --- I mean, it's not a political show. To me he comes across as one who doesn't believe in what he's saying.

I wonder if the universe works differently in England?

Yes. Also in California. :)
  • Henry likes this

#86 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,264 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

Yes. Also in California. :)

Ah-hahh!! Just as I suspected. :righton:

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#87 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:15 AM

Speaking from the state of California, yes the laws of physics work differently here. For example, you get on the freeway to go slower and get off it to speed up. 

• russ9 and Henry like this
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#88 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,902 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:25 AM

Anyone with 5 functioning brain cells knows it's happening yet it's still being denied.

The trouble is the why. It seems some people use all five of their brain cells to blame everything on mankind and push for political changes to prevent warming. It seems the whole argument boils down to "love/hate" just like anything else that goes political.

There are things that the planet could do better ... but I prefer to do them because I do not want to live in a trash heap - not because some unproven scientific THEORY that the opposite choice will kill everyone on the planet long after the planet has killed me. :)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#89 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,300 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:24 AM

global warming 

global cooling 

climate change 

weather

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#90 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,097 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:12 AM

Just remember that weather and climate are not the same thing :)

#91 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,264 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

Get a room, guys ... or better yet, start a weather thread.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#92 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:47 AM

Got off the fence last Sunday. My fault for not keeping up on the issue.

#93 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

Are they renewing the show?  I really liked it.

#94 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,097 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:00 PM

It was a mini series, like the original. It's done.

I've never actually known Tyson and his background is as controversial as it is.

#95 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

I'd often said that Neil De Grasse Tyson was a modern-day Carl Sagan.  When the Cosmos reboot was announced and they said HE was going to do it, I was rejoicing.  This series turned out just about as good as I could have expected.  I watched the original in the weeks before the reboot started.  My wife made the comment that Sagan's verbal cadence could put her to sleep even though the subject matter was fascinating.  I have to say, I saw her point - and that was something since I'd described Sagan as FAR more engaging and exciting that the previous lab-coat droners that usually did science shows.  With the job Tyson did on this series - color me very satisfied.  Despite it being on subjects I'd already known about, I still learned a lot!

• Laxguy likes this

#96 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,264 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

Renewal?

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#97 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

They will be exploring the Fringe Universe. :)

#98 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,097 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:40 PM

I'd often said that Neil De Grasse Tyson was a modern-day Carl Sagan.  When the Cosmos reboot was announced and they said HE was going to do it, I was rejoicing.  This series turned out just about as good as I could have expected.  I watched the original in the weeks before the reboot started.  My wife made the comment that Sagan's verbal cadence could put her to sleep even though the subject matter was fascinating.  I have to say, I saw her point - and that was something since I'd described Sagan as FAR more engaging and exciting that the previous lab-coat droners that usually did science shows.  With the job Tyson did on this series - color me very satisfied.  Despite it being on subjects I'd already known about, I still learned a lot!

In terms of non astronomical science shows, you can't get much better than Julius Sumner Miller, and of course Mr. Wizard though I don't think Mr. Wizard had a Doctorate in the sciences.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...