Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2014 HD

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

i wanted to ask you does fox movies and movieplex and some of the encore channels have HD feeds and will dish will pick them up in HD,

Thanks

Allen 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

i am a huge jeff gordon fan it would be nice to watch nascar on fox sports 2 in HD.also with barrett jackson it would be nice to watch that in HD also,do you think fox sports 2 will go hd this year and when will it happen.

Allen 

#3 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

here is a list of HD channels that i want so bad and will dish pick these up

ABCFamily,africa channel,audience network,bbc world news,blue highways tv,BYUTV,CSpan 1-3,CatholicTV,Chiller,CNN International,Disney,DisneyXD,Disney Junior,ESPNU,Fox Sports 2,EWTN,FashionTV,Fearnet,Funimation Channel,FX Movie Channel,MoviePlex,HavocTV,HSN,ION East,JewerlyTV,Justice Central,Military Channel,MTV2,NHKWorldTV,NUVO,Outdoor Channel,Ovation,Oxygen,PBS Kids Spout,Pentagon Channel,PIVOT,QVC,sHOPHD,ShortsHD,Smithsonian Channel,sWRV,TBN,TVGN,TVone,UP,USN,WealthTV,World Fishing Network,

Thanks

Allen Culver

Streator,Illinois

#4 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

ow about adding this channel from chicago it is called The U Too WCIU channel 26.2/48.1HD it is owned by weigel broadcasting i talked to them on the phone and they are willing to give you the channel for free.and they are broadcasting in HD here is the website

Thanks

Allen Culver

#5 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,011 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:20 PM

here is a list of HD channels that i want so bad and will dish pick these up
<snip>

Would you personally watch the programming on ALL of these channels, many of which target very different audiences, or are you just listing every channel you know of not carried by Dish in HD yet?

Bandwidth isn't unlimited, Dish also has the additional limitation of needing to add any new national HD channels to both arcs. I doubt you would ever see ALL of them unless Dish goes all MPEG4 on the Western Arc along with overly compressing everything so they can fit them all in. It will be at least a few years before they do that since they would need to swap out every SD receiver along with a truck roll to every western arc house that is still limited to a Dish 500 or older dish.

#6 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

here is a message that i got from world fishing network today in a email to them

Allen:

Thanks for your message – great questions. I’d like to see World Fishing Network in HD on DISH as well (admittedly I’m an HD snob). Our affiliate team did recently query DISH on that very subject and they indicated there is nothing imminent on either the HD or HD-VOD front. DISH is in the process of launching another bird into orbit in the near future, which will expand their available bandwidth to add additional HD content should they choose to do so. Please be aware that our HD signal is available to all cable, satellite and telecommunications distributors at no additional cost to them – we offer both our HD and SD feeds at the same cost. In fact, some providers (AT&T U-verse, for example) take only our HD signal. In the meantime, I would ask that you call DISH and let them know you would like to see World Fishing Network in HD. We’ll keep working on it as well.

Thanks for watching!

Sincerely,

World Fishing Network

they also just told me that they have a huge VOD selection to choose from also.

Edited by bluegras, 23 January 2014 - 03:56 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

I keep after DISH as much as I dare about WFN HD.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   fmcomputer

fmcomputer

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts
  • LocationYpungstown. Ohio

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

I "am in northeast Ohio and I would like my Locals transferred from Western Arc to Eastern Arc. 

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

I "am in northeast Ohio and I would like my Locals transferred from Western Arc to Eastern Arc.

What does that have to do with adding HD channels to the DISH lineup?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

Would you personally watch the programming on ALL of these channels, many of which target very different audiences, or are you just listing every channel you know of not carried by Dish in HD yet?

Bandwidth isn't unlimited, Dish also has the additional limitation of needing to add any new national HD channels to both arcs. I doubt you would ever see ALL of them unless Dish goes all MPEG4 on the Western Arc along with overly compressing everything so they can fit them all in. It will be at least a few years before they do that since they would need to swap out every SD receiver along with a truck roll to every western arc house that is still limited to a Dish 500 or older dish.

there won't be all HD channels for a decade or more.

Edited by Paul Secic, 26 January 2014 - 11:02 AM.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

Western Arc is certainly the limiter when it comes to adding new HD. DISH currently has 9 available slots on Western Arc for new HD (without removing channels). Converting the SD channels to MPEG4 will clear up a lot of space ... but changing out the receivers is expensive. DISH would not need to change the dishes for SD customers (unless they were upgraded to HD) but getting all the non 8PSK/MPEG4 receivers off the system will take time and money. (Moving MPEG2 to 8PSK transponders will help but at this point they might as well install MPEG4 receivers for the full benefit.)

As long as DISH charges extra for HD there will be SD customers ... and DISH changed their new customer offer to be Free HD for two years (instead of for life) earlier this month. It seems that they are getting further away from the "HD or SD it all costs the same" approach.

Eastern Arc has plenty of space ... no limiting factor there. But to uplink a national channel DISH needs to be able to put channels on Western Arc.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#12 ONLINE   zippyfrog

zippyfrog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

Western Arc is certainly the limiter when it comes to adding new HD. DISH currently has 9 available slots on Western Arc for new HD (without removing channels). Converting the SD channels to MPEG4 will clear up a lot of space ... but changing out the receivers is expensive. DISH would not need to change the dishes for SD customers (unless they were upgraded to HD) but getting all the non 8PSK/MPEG4 receivers off the system will take time and money. (Moving MPEG2 to 8PSK transponders will help but at this point they might as well install MPEG4 receivers for the full benefit.)

So if Dish makes a deal with Disney and we get all their HD channels, we have basically maxed out Western Arc it seems.  ESPN-U, ESPN News, Disney Channel, Disney XD, Disney Junior, ABC Family, Fusion Channel are 7 HD channels. 

If Western Arc were to be converted to 8PSK but not MPEG4, how much space would that yield?  Would it be enough, in your estimation, to add RSN's full time in HD?

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

If Western Arc were to be converted to 8PSK but not MPEG4, how much space would that yield?  Would it be enough, in your estimation, to add RSN's full time in HD?

If 26 of the 28 QPSK transponders on WA were converted to 8PSK but the channels remained MPEG2 it would free up approximately 8 transponders ... room for up to 72 HD channels.

Full time RSNs could be done with only a few more channels than are in use now ... but there would be limitations. Currently DISH has 24 channels for part time RSNs. Convert them all to full time and DISH would need a few more channels to cover the rest of the RSNs currently uplinked and any alternates. If I count correctly DISH has 29 RSNs and 15 alternates? (Not counting Big Ten which is DISH's only full time RSN.) For full time RSNs DISH would need at least 20 more channels (2.5 transponders).
  • zippyfrog likes this
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#14 ONLINE   zippyfrog

zippyfrog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

If 26 of the 28 QPSK transponders on WA were converted to 8PSK but the channels remained MPEG2 it would free up approximately 8 transponders ... room for up to 72 HD channels.

Full time RSNs could be done with only a few more channels than are in use now ... but there would be limitations. Currently DISH has 24 channels for part time RSNs. Convert them all to full time and DISH would need a few more channels to cover the rest of the RSNs currently uplinked and any alternates. If I count correctly DISH has 29 RSNs and 15 alternates? (Not counting Big Ten which is DISH's only full time RSN.) For full time RSNs DISH would need at least 20 more channels (2.5 transponders).

Thank you for that information.  Freeing up 8 transponders is an awful lot - seems like Dish would have no problem putting up full time HD RSN's as well as any other HD channels they would want to add.  I know it has been said that Eastern Arc has a lot more space, but does it have room for 72 HD channels?

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,705 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

So if Dish makes a deal with Disney and we get all their HD channels, we have basically maxed out Western Arc it seems.  ESPN-U, ESPN News, Disney Channel, Disney XD, Disney Junior, ABC Family, Fusion Channel are 7 HD channels.

That's another reason I think Dish is perhaps dragging the Disney negotiations out.  They probably want these HD channels and want to do the deal... but if it maxes them out from being able to add any other HD channels short-term... then it might prevent them from the next deal that comes up.

Say... what happens when FOX is up and they want to add other HD feeds that Dish doesn't have right now (like Fox Sports 2)?  There would be no way to make that deal after the Disney deal if they have filled up the bandwidth on western arc.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

Thank you for that information.  Freeing up 8 transponders is an awful lot - seems like Dish would have no problem putting up full time HD RSN's as well as any other HD channels they would want to add.  I know it has been said that Eastern Arc has a lot more space, but does it have room for 72 HD channels?

There are 9 transponders that are vacant or used for test channels on 61.5 ... so yes, there is room on the Eastern Arc.

The big challenge is to get Western Arc space cleared ... and getting SD customers over to 8PSK equipment is a non-trivial investment.

#17 ONLINE   zippyfrog

zippyfrog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

There are 9 transponders that are vacant or used for test channels on 61.5 ... so yes, there is room on the Eastern Arc.

The big challenge is to get Western Arc space cleared ... and getting SD customers over to 8PSK equipment is a non-trivial investment.

If Dish were to make the jump to 8PSK MPEG2 and open up space for approx 72 HD channels on Western Arc, they really could blow Directv out of the water in terms of the number of HD channels they offer.  They would easily round out RSN's in HD full time, plus they could add all the rest of the premiums that they don't have in HD and they would have space for the other channels they currently offered but aren't in HD, such as Military Channel or Universal Sports.  (pending a transmission agreement for those channels)

James - if Dish were to make Western Arc 8PSK MPEG 4, approx. how many more additional HD channels could be added?  If there are 9 transponders vacant on Eastern Arc, it would seem that if Western Arc were MPEG 4, there would be a lot more space on WA than EA.

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

James - if Dish were to make Western Arc 8PSK MPEG 4, approx. how many more additional HD channels could be added?  If there are 9 transponders vacant on Eastern Arc, it would seem that if Western Arc were MPEG 4, there would be a lot more space on WA than EA.

8PSK MPEG4 on WA instead of 8PSK MPEG2 would tip the tables to where EA would have the bandwidth crunch ... unless some WA transponders were taken away to be used as spots.

But the conversion of SD customers to 8PSK is far enough away that it will be more of DISH catching up to where DirecTV is today. Not really getting ahead. Just keeping up (at best).

#19 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,377 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:29 PM

If Dish were to make the jump to 8PSK MPEG2 and open up space for approx 72 HD channels on Western Arc, they really could blow Directv out of the water in terms of the number of HD channels they offer. They would easily round out RSN's in HD full time, plus they could add all the rest of the premiums that they don't have in HD and they would have space for the other channels they currently offered but aren't in HD, such as Military Channel or Universal Sports. (pending a transmission agreement for those channels)

James - if Dish were to make Western Arc 8PSK MPEG 4, approx. how many more additional HD channels could be added? If there are 9 transponders vacant on Eastern Arc, it would seem that if Western Arc were MPEG 4, there would be a lot more space on WA than EA.

You are mentioning only one or two channels DIRECTV doesn't have.

Reality is no one is blowing anyone out of the water with the number if Hi Definition channels they carry anymore.

Plus don't forget DirecTV's launching another satellite this year that all expand their capacity as well again another one next year.

I don't see the point of dish going to new equipment to get the more compressive scheme in there rather than just going all MPEG-4 equipment that also does that in the first place so they can eliminate SD HD duplicates. And that costs a ton of money for both this and DirecTV to make that move.

That will start happening more likely when it will cost less to do that than it would to just launch another satellite assuming they have the bandwidth to add to their capacity.

Right now it's much cheaper for DirecTV to just launch a satellite. I imagine that's also true for dish.

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,705 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

That will start happening more likely when it will cost less to do that than it would to just launch another satellite assuming they have the bandwidth to add to their capacity.

Right now it's much cheaper for DirecTV to just launch a satellite. I imagine that's also true for dish.

Not just cost, but ease of implementation.  Even if the cost of launching the satellite is slightly more...  it's much simpler to implement in terms of manpower since it is something they order and pay someone to launch for them... whereas the replacement of ALL the legacy non-MPEG4 equipment would require lots of manpower to make those installs/swaps happen.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...