Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2014 HD

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,347 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

I was adding in the cost of all that manpower to have all those truck rolls to everybody's house to replace all the boxes. And shipping for those that could do it on their own. But yeah that's all part of the question in the equation if when to do it.

Plus the longer they wait the more attrition will happen in the less boxes they will have to replace on their own outright rather than just letting people change them on their own to HD boxes.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,905 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:32 PM

Right now it's much cheaper for DirecTV to just launch a satellite. I imagine that's also true for dish.

DISH needs a place to put this theoretical new satellite ... and licenses for the transponders. If the new satellite isn't just an upgrade to an existing location that means new dishes. There is only so much DISH can do at existing locations ... and if they need to roll trucks for new dishes (and switches, etc) they might as well just roll them for more bandwidth efficient receivers - which is a better long term solution.

Without adding transponder licenses or new satellite locations the best that can be done with a new satellite would be more spotbeams. DISH has a lot of transponders dedicated to spot beams - if they made the footprints smaller they could fit more beams on the same transponder and might be able to clear a couple of transponders for ConUS. But smaller footprints lead to coverage problems in the edges of large DMAs ... and the number of transponders cleared for ConUS may not be worth the cost.

MPEG4 8PSK SD is probably the best solution for clearing a lot of transponders.

The other solution is to use something more efficient than MPEG4 for HD. Put more than 9 channels on each transponder. The bonus is that file sizes would get smaller for DVR'd programs. The down side would be quality. There is only so much one can do to a signal before it is garbage.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#23 OFFLINE   bnewt

bnewt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

no degrading of the signal

May God Guide and Guard the USA!

#24 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,347 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

DISH needs a place to put this theoretical new satellite ... and licenses for the transponders. If the new satellite isn't just an upgrade to an existing location that means new dishes. There is only so much DISH can do at existing locations ... and if they need to roll trucks for new dishes (and switches, etc) they might as well just roll them for more bandwidth efficient receivers - which is a better long term solution.

Without adding transponder licenses or new satellite locations the best that can be done with a new satellite would be more spotbeams. DISH has a lot of transponders dedicated to spot beams - if they made the footprints smaller they could fit more beams on the same transponder and might be able to clear a couple of transponders for ConUS. But smaller footprints lead to coverage problems in the edges of large DMAs ... and the number of transponders cleared for ConUS may not be worth the cost.

MPEG4 8PSK SD is probably the best solution for clearing a lot of transponders.

The other solution is to use something more efficient than MPEG4 for HD. Put more than 9 channels on each transponder. The bonus is that file sizes would get smaller for DVR'd programs. The down side would be quality. There is only so much one can do to a signal before it is garbage.

I was under the impression they still had space for one more sat, still catching up from the one that didn't make it to orbit, as the next one took its place and that one still needed a replacement.  I guess not then...

Another way is to do as Direct is doing and getting better mpeg4 encoders to become a little more efficient and get more channels per beam that way as well.  Direct has added one more channel to each transponder on most their 99 and 103 sats over the last year. That is still cheaper than replacing everyone's hardware.

#25 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,905 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

I was under the impression they still had space for one more sat, still catching up from the one that didn't make it to orbit, as the next one took its place and that one still needed a replacement.  I guess not then...

Satellites are nice - and they are needed to provide service - but DISH has already put all of their licensed transponders into service. Any expansion would require new licenses and new dishes to get those signals to customers.

Another way is to do as Direct is doing and getting better mpeg4 encoders to become a little more efficient and get more channels per beam that way as well.  Direct has added one more channel to each transponder on most their 99 and 103 sats over the last year. That is still cheaper than replacing everyone's hardware.

DISH is already doing 9 feeds per transponder ... 10 in some cases, a couple less in some cases. DirecTV's move from five to six feeds per transponder is practically a baby step compared to the way DISH shoehorns in HD.

I remember when DISH first put 12 SD channels on a transponder (MPEG2 QPSK). Now 9 HD channels is typical. It would take a really good encoder to do more channels than what DISH is doing and still call it HD.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#26 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,347 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:31 AM

Satellites are nice - and they are needed to provide service - but DISH has already put all of their licensed transponders into service. Any expansion would require new licenses and new dishes to get those signals to customers.

DISH is already doing 9 feeds per transponder ... 10 in some cases, a couple less in some cases. DirecTV's move from five to six feeds per transponder is practically a baby step compared to the way DISH shoehorns in HD.

I remember when DISH first put 12 SD channels on a transponder (MPEG2 QPSK). Now 9 HD channels is typical. It would take a really good encoder to do more channels than what DISH is doing and still call it HD.

Yeah that is a lot, maybe.  I thought they used wider transponders with more bandwidth, no?  if not, then they have to be hurting pq to do that if they are using the same delivery method and bandwidth space Directv is.

#27 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,905 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

Yeah that is a lot, maybe.  I thought they used wider transponders with more bandwidth, no?  if not, then they have to be hurting pq to do that if they are using the same delivery method and bandwidth space Directv is.

I do not know the bandwidth of DirecTV's transponders. DISH does have the benefit of using high powered Ku DBS for most of their service (all except internationals on 118 and business TV channels on 121).

#28 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,973 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:56 PM

Yeah that is a lot, maybe.  I thought they used wider transponders with more bandwidth, no?

DISH's transponders are narrower (24MHz vs 36MHz). The saving grace is that because they use Ku band, they can use the latest multiplexing schemes and relatively low forward error correction. These technologies aren't as useful with Ka.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#29 OFFLINE   dish556

dish556

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:28 AM

Hi Dish:

please upgrade Fox-2 with HD please the 24 hours race is coming soon it would be awesome to see it in full HD please Dish work thing's out with Fox-2

FOX SPORTS BROADCAST SCHEDULE (subject to change; all times ET):
Saturday, June 14 – 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM (FOX Sports 1, LIVE)
Saturday, June 14 – 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM (FOX Sports 2, LIVE)
Saturday, June  14 – 5:00 PM to 6:30 PM (FOX Sports GO, LIVE)
Saturday, June 14 – 6:30 PM to 1:00 AM (FOX Sports 2, LIVE)
Saturday, June 14 – 1:00 AM to 7:30 AM (FOX Sports 1, LIVE)
Sunday, June 15 – 7:30 AM to 9:30 AM (FOX Sports 2, LIVE)

or ask if Fox can put it on local fox channels that are HD or FXXHD or FX HD I mean that would put a spike in Ratings for those Network's what is really on FXX anyways replays of Sport report show who watch that anyways. put the race in HD please.

Edited by dish556, 06 June 2014 - 08:55 AM.

#30 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:46 AM

how about adding all the movie channels in HD we are missing these ones.and in HD

showtime beyond,showtime women,showtime next,showtime extreme

encore drama,encore classic,encore drama,encore espansol

thiller max,outermax,starz cinema,starz edge

movieplex

it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Allen bluegras

Illinois 

#31 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,905 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:40 PM

How about cramming 11 "HD" channels on each transponder? That is what it would take to add everything. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...