Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

The Weather Channel and DIRECTV

satellite DIRECTV The Weather Channel weather

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
217 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,296 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

Local forecasts: 

If this dispute is over a penny a sub, maybe DTV could demand they return to 24x7 weather coverage as a compromise and IMHO this could be resolved rather quickly. Whatever DTV gives us for weather, TWC has years of experience under their belts and it would take almost that long for a startup to even come close to the overall product.

It's not about just a penny per sub. 

A startup could match and exceed TWC's "expertise" in quick order. Ditching the fluff as well.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:19 PM

Why dont they just carry WEATHER SCAN?? (That IS only weather)

#183 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,195 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

I totally disagree. Just because they went in an odd direction with programming doesn't mean they have lost their way with weather and covering it. TWC at its worst is still better than anything WN could produce. Their people are TV savvy and they don't waste a lot of time with minutia when covering a serious event.

If this dispute is over a penny a sub, maybe DTV could demand they return to 24x7 weather coverage as a compromise and IMHO this could be resolved rather quickly. Whatever DTV gives us for weather, TWC has years of experience under their belts and it would take almost that long for a startup to even come close to the overall product.

It's over a lot more than a penny a sub.

#184 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

Why dont they just carry WEATHER SCAN?? (That IS only weather)

Did you read the reply to the last time you asked that? Weatherscan is NOT a channel with an actual national feed, it's a custom channel that displays local weather 24/7 on a loop and is generated locally at the cable headend by an Intellistar, the same computer system that generates local on the 8s and the bottom bar on TWC for cable systems.

#185 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

Sorry folks Weather Nation sucks.

I agree.
But so did The Weather Channel, which is why I didn't and don't use either for my weather source.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app
  • alnielsen likes this

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#186 OFFLINE   bubbaray21

bubbaray21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Carolinas

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:06 PM

Comparing TWC to to WN is not apples to apples. And until we see what AccuWeather has in store for us, I am not about to throw TWC under the bus for making a business decision that kind of backfired on them.

The other thing I do not like is DTV pulling the channel saying they don't have permission to show it. There have been many negotiations that have gone well past the 12th hour without a station being pulled. IMHO, DirecTV was of a set mind to pull it unless they retracted or trimmed back carriage fees.

Make no mistake, this is not a Cenemoi or one of the little channels they dropped. There is value to TWC regardless of what one may think it is. And if this drags out, do you think for one minute that WN has the capabilities to cover a major storm or hurricane? Fat chance. They barely have enough people to man their closet-size studio.
When nothing goes right, turn left.

#187 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,291 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

The other thing I do not like is DTV pulling the channel saying they don't have permission to show it. There have been many negotiations that have gone well past the 12th hour without a station being pulled. IMHO, DirecTV was of a set mind to pull it unless they retracted or trimmed back carriage fees.

They can't show TWC because they no longer have the carriage rights to do so.  The ones that stay past the hour is because they come to an agreement to extend the contract for a certain amount of time 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#188 OFFLINE   bubbaray21

bubbaray21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Carolinas

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

They can't show TWC because they no longer have the carriage rights to do so.  The ones that stay past the hour is because they come to an agreement to extend the contract for a certain amount of time

That is essentially what I said. It appears there was no attempt on DTV's part to extend the deadline. It seems they were going to play hardball regardless.

#189 ONLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

That is essentially what I said. It appears there was no attempt on DTV's part to extend the deadline. It seems they were going to play hardball regardless.

It was extended. The original pact was up after December 31st.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Edited by mws192, 19 January 2014 - 08:34 PM.

#190 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,195 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

And they where not moving on their price. What's wrong with that? They know how much its worth to them and couldn't get close to it, so that was that. After seeing The weather channels response, frankly, they don't belong on any carrier. Not till they get new management. I don't think the weather channel thought DIRECTV was serious to be honest.

#191 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

Make no mistake, this is not a Cenemoi or one of the little channels they dropped. There is value to TWC regardless of what one may think it is. And if this drags out, do you think for one minute that WN has the capabilities to cover a major storm or hurricane? Fat chance. They barely have enough people to man their closet-size studio.

I haven't found the weather channel particularly useful during major storms or hurricanes. In fact, I think the local feeds that Directv usually puts up during those storms is much more informative than the weather channel.

• wilbur_the_goose likes this

#192 OFFLINE   thelucky1

thelucky1

Icon

• Registered
  • 911 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

IMO Weather Nation is a 2nd rate weather channel!

Like most here, I also prefer the original Weather Channel without all the reality shows! I want ALL weather 24/7!

However having said that I really only watch the Weather Channel during severe weather...Tornados, Hurricanes...etc!

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk
A DIRECTV Customer since 1998 :)

#193 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,195 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

An don't all the news stations have pretty close to the same coverage as the weather channel did if it's a truly big disaster storm, like sandy?

#194 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:19 AM

My Dad is missing TWC.   He no longer can get local forecasts, check his local temp, check the weather at my house and the rest of my brothers and sisters.   He watched weather nation for a few hours and never even saw anything resembling a forecast for his part of the country.    I would love a Weather channel that is all weather but what could I expect in the age of reality TV.   History channel no longer shows history programs.   Science channel isnt all science like it used to be.

Hopefully the deal can be worked out before hurricane season since WN looks inadequately prepared to cover anything of substance.

• Dude111 likes this

#195 OFFLINE   bubbaray21

bubbaray21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Carolinas

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

I haven't found the weather channel particularly useful during major storms or hurricanes. In fact, I think the local feeds that Directv usually puts up during those storms is much more informative than the weather channel.

I lived on the Gulf Coast of Florida for 15 years and I can tell you, I depended on TWC throughout the entire hurricane season. We had great local coverage, however, none went into 24x7 mode or anything close unless there was a reasonable shot of being hit.

Now as far as DTV doing us a favor by giving us direct feeds, if I remember correctly they only did that during Sandy. The coverage was a mix of a number of channels from the Philly and NYC areas and Flipped back and forth with dizzying speed with SD feeds. I give DTV credit for doing it, but the bottom line is TWC had wall to wall coverage with people in every major spot up and down the coast. Being from the NY/NJ area with a lot of family there, I wanted one source for that information and TWC was brilliant in their coverage.

#196 OFFLINE   bubbaray21

bubbaray21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Carolinas

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:36 AM

Like most here, I also prefer the original Weather Channel without all the reality shows! I want ALL weather 24/7!
However having said that I really only watch the Weather Channel during severe weather...Tornados, Hurricanes...etc!

I find it odd that TWC is coming under fire for trying to be business savvy when it comes to "off hours" by showing reality TV. I am probably one of those people who would like to see it return to all weather all the time as well, but reality TV has dropped into virtually all commercial television.

Are we to cry for the banishment of MSNBC because they run prison shows, or Headline News for going to shows like What would you do? or Forensic Files? Even CNN goes into rerun mode during off hours where actual live news takes a back seat. Fox News has their own rerun agenda so where is the outcry for the demise of news channels.

I hear all the blah blah about History no longer being just about its title, Discovery not living up to its name, yada yada. Fact is, Reality TV draws more eyeballs, even in the overnight hours, than infomercials. Until viewers can go strictly a la carte (which is coming to a provider near you in the not too distant future), this is a fact of TV life. One can scream and holler about Reality on TWC, but it is everywhere, even on networks.
  • mhking likes this

#197 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:52 AM

I was talking to a friend about this, who is a lot more knowledgeable about The Weather a Channel and it's cheap replacement than I am and mentioned one facet that is interesting.

The Weather Channel has the resources to deploy multiple crews to multiple areas of the country to broadcast dire weather conditions. She went not to mention that Weather Nation, under its current financial situation, assuming it continues to charge DirecTV nothing, does not. Even if they did start charging, it will be a long time before they are able to replicate the coverage capabilities, unless they get some financing, which would mean they would have to start charging DirecTV.

#198 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

I was talking to a friend about this, who is a lot more knowledgeable about The Weather a Channel and it's cheap replacement than I am and mentioned one facet that is interesting.

The Weather Channel has the resources to deploy multiple crews to multiple areas of the country to broadcast dire weather conditions. She went not to mention that Weather Nation, under its current financial situation, assuming it continues to charge DirecTV nothing, does not. Even if they did start charging, it will be a long time before they are able to replicate the coverage capabilities, unless they get some financing, which would mean they would have to start charging DirecTV.

But does one really need to deploy multiple crews to multiple areas of the country to broadcast dire weather conditions?  When severe weather is in my area, my local channels do a much better job than The Weather Channel or Weather Nation with respect to reporting what is important to me.  These same local affiliates share their broadcasts with national services and are often picked up by CNN or The Weather Channel.

• Laxguy likes this

#199 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:03 AM

And therein lies the problem for the Weather Channel -- how to get eyeballs when weather is boring.

#200 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,906 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

And therein lies the problem for the Weather Channel -- how to get eyeballs when weather is boring.

Like other stations do. They hire a blonde, blue eyed hot water bottle with a 36-24-36 figure to do the weather reporting.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: satellite, DIRECTV, The Weather Channel, weather

Protected By... spam firewall...And...