Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

The Weather Channel and DIRECTV

satellite DIRECTV The Weather Channel weather

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
217 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

Works for ME.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:28 PM

Like other stations do. They hire a blonde, blue eyed hot water bottle with a 36-24-36 figure to do the weather reporting.

Diane Sawyer started out as the weather girl on WHAS-TV in Louisville, KY when she was 22.

#203 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 681 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:58 PM

Are we to cry for the banishment of MSNBC because they run prison shows, or Headline News for going to shows like What would you do? or Forensic Files? Even CNN goes into rerun mode during off hours where actual live news takes a back seat. Fox News has their own rerun agenda so where is the outcry for the demise of news channels.

I hear all the blah blah about History no longer being just about its title, Discovery not living up to its name, yada yada. Fact is, Reality TV draws more eyeballs, even in the overnight hours, than infomercials. Until viewers can go strictly a la carte (which is coming to a provider near you in the not too distant future), this is a fact of TV life. One can scream and holler about Reality on TWC, but it is everywhere, even on networks.

I cry for the banishment of all those channels you mentioned.  The original model of satellite/cable TV was to provide niche programming that everyone knew would not draw high ratings.  That is why you paid for the programming and the channels could exist and profit on subscription revenue.  Advertising revenue was only the icing on the cake. 

Despite the fact it is much cheaper to run a channel now than it was when channels like History, A&E,etc. first started, they have all decided to get greedy and cater to the lowest common denominator so they can increase their ad revenue.  Basically they want to have their cake (getting subscription revenue) and eat it too (get lots of ad revenue as well).  I would really like to see D* dump every channel that doesn't do what they started out doing and lower my bill.  The list is sadly a rather long one at this point.  I honestly think I am only paying D* for USA, SciFi and Sports at this point.

Edited by lokar, 20 January 2014 - 01:59 PM.

• PCampbell likes this

#204 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,676 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

I lived on the Gulf Coast of Florida for 15 years and I can tell you, I depended on TWC throughout the entire hurricane season. We had great local coverage, however, none went into 24x7 mode or anything close unless there was a reasonable shot of being hit.

Now as far as DTV doing us a favor by giving us direct feeds, if I remember correctly they only did that during Sandy. The coverage was a mix of a number of channels from the Philly and NYC areas and Flipped back and forth with dizzying speed with SD feeds. I give DTV credit for doing it, but the bottom line is TWC had wall to wall coverage with people in every major spot up and down the coast. Being from the NY/NJ area with a lot of family there, I wanted one source for that information and TWC was brilliant in their coverage.

Actually, they have been doing this for years and have followed several hurricanes up the coast. The channels in use are usually those right at the storm or just ahead of it and they switch to another when the local channel goes to other local news or commercials or other programming. It is not just random.

I have found myself watching more of CNN than TWC in bad weather. Not planned, just flipping back and forth and wound up staying on CNN because they were actually covering the storms rather than just showing people standing on beaches that may or may not have the weather yet.

I miss the old guy who was the main TWC hurricane expert. He retired and they went more personality driven and less data.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#205 OFFLINE   bubbaray21

bubbaray21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Carolinas

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

I cry for the banishment of all those channels you mentioned.  The original model of satellite/cable TV was to provide niche programming that everyone knew would not draw high ratings.  That is why you paid for the programming and the channels could exist and profit on subscription revenue.  Advertising revenue was only the icing on the cake. 

Despite the fact it is much cheaper to run a channel now than it was when channels like History, A&E,etc. first started, they have all decided to get greedy and cater to the lowest common denominator so they can increase their ad revenue.  Basically they want to have their cake (getting subscription revenue) and eat it too (get lots of ad revenue as well).  I would really like to see D* dump every channel that doesn't do what they started out doing and lower my bill.  The list is sadly a rather long one at this point.  I honestly think I am only paying D* for USA, SciFi and Sports at this point.

With the advent of cable and subsequently satellite services, we were promised a world of 500 channels or more. Were we to believe back then that all 500+ would have 24 hours of original content? I guess we all fell for that one. Unfortunately, reality was 500+ could not be possible and the so-called "evolution" of what we have today is nothing like the promise of yesteryear.

That said, I have no problem paying for niche programming because I choose to tune in every now and again to select shows/channels. My next door neighbor might have the same package as I do and may watch the niches I choose not to watch. Not everyone watches sports but they are coughing up more than $6 a month for something they will never tune in for. Since the "must carry" for locals disappeared and now there are $$$ exchanged for carriage, I pay for stations I would never watch, but I still need my networks. Frankly, there is no right answer to how everyone gets what they want other than a la carte and if that ever happens the way some advocate, over time the channel selection could dwindle to less than 100 - maybe way less - and you are STILL going to get infomercials and reality shows up the wazoo.

It is my considered opinion that there will be "some" a la carte with cable/ satellite simply because of what is happening with the Internet. What happens with the WWE Channel may be a forerunner of the future business model. If it succeeds, massive changes could be on the horizon. If it fails that doesn't mean other changes won't come.

The bottom line, for me, is I want choices whether it be the Weather Channel vs. AccuWeather or ESPN vs. Fox Sports 1. If I have to pay a few extra shekels to get those choices, fine.

The bottom line for everyone else is that NO ONE will be able to pick and choose specific channels unless they cut the cord altogether and go Internet. But the problem there is, to get the kind of speed necessary to get instant streaming, you have to cough up a pretty penny there too.

The US Government is debating whether to eliminate the penny. Maybe that is why DirecTV and the Weather Channel are having a tough time trying to figure out who is penny wise and pound foolish.  :bang

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.  :soapbox:

When nothing goes right, turn left.

#206 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

IMO Weather Nation is a 2nd rate weather channel!

Like most here, I also prefer the original Weather Channel without all the reality shows! I want ALL weather 24/7!

However having said that I really only watch the Weather Channel during severe weather...Tornados, Hurricanes...etc!

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Like most here?  Really?  I'm guessing  80% are OK with D* dropping TWC here.  Also, check out TWC's Facebook page.  I'm guessing only 10% of the posts are pro-TWC.

BTW - WFMZ here in SE Pennsylvania has a AccuWeather sub channel.  This little baby probably costs 0.01% of what TWC costs, but provides 500% more information.  OK - I need an antenna, but big deal - it works great.

Edited by wilbur_the_goose, 21 January 2014 - 04:06 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996

#207 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

I am in the middle of a storm and see no need to watch neither of these channels.  my local stations covering well enough, actually too much...

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#208 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,891 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

Like most here?  Really?  I'm guessing  80% are OK with D* dropping TWC here.  Also, check out TWC's Facebook page.  I'm guessing only 10% of the posts are pro-TWC.

BTW - WFMZ here in SE Pennsylvania has a AccuWeather sub channel.  This little baby probably costs 0.01% of what TWC costs, but provides 500% more information.  OK - I need an antenna, but big deal - it works great.

You missed his reference: "like most here >>> do not like the reality shows impinging on the weather info" He wasn't saying most here support weather channel, so I think you misread his intent.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#209 ONLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:07 AM

The one channel that I did liked was NatGeo which had good documentaries, but they also decided to go the reality route, then I stop watching it altogether, so this is the trend that every cable channel is doing (or been doing)  TWC is no different.   I think the only cable channels that live up to is name is Travel Channel,Animal Planet,Food Network,HGTV,NatGeo Wild ____ ____ feel free to fill in the blanks

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#210 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,045 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:53 AM

Honestly....we're really not missing The Weather Channel very much. Weather Nation is doing a pretty good job.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#211 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:23 PM

Honestly....we're really not missing The Weather Channel very much. Weather Nation is doing a pretty good job.

Yesterday's storm proved to me that there is no need for a national weather channel.  the locals did an awesome job covering it

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#212 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

My Dad is missing TWC. He no longer can get local forecasts, check his local temp, check the weather at my house and the rest of my brothers and sisters. He watched weather nation for a few hours and never even saw anything resembling a forecast for his part of the country.

Yea WEATHER NATION is a cheapo replacement..... Hopefully they will start carrying WEATHER SCAN from TWC!!
  • levibluewa likes this

#213 ONLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:17 AM

Yea WEATHER NATION is a cheapo replacement..... Hopefully they will start carrying WEATHER SCAN from TWC!!

You mean weather scan from WeatherNation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#214 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

It's been so long since I tuned to TWC, I wasn't even aware that they showed reality programming. 

#215 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

Do you even read replies or do you insist on posting the exact same thing multiple times in all caps ignoring any reply addressing this?

A. Until DirecTV carried WeatherNation it was just a service available on some OTA stations. It was up to the local affiliate to break in to provide live severe weather coverage. They are running promos saying new graphics and live coverage are coming soon.

B. WeatherScan is NOT an actual channel with a national feed. It is generated locally at the cable headend via the Intellistar. It's just local on the 8s on a loop with some additional details since it isn't limited to a 60 or 90 second run. If you're expecting actual live national weather coverage from it you're in for a disappointment.
  • sigma1914, Dude111 and Laxguy like this

#216 OFFLINE   catnapped

catnapped

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

The one channel that I did liked was NatGeo which had good documentaries, but they also decided to go the reality route, then I stop watching it altogether, so this is the trend that every cable channel is doing (or been doing)  TWC is no different.   I think the only cable channels that live up to is name is Travel Channel,Animal Planet,Food Network,HGTV,NatGeo Wild ____ ____ feel free to fill in the blanks

TCM is still pretty faithful to their original concept.  Don't know if I'd include Food Network or HGTV in the list as they're both guilty of reality rubbish.

#217 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

Do you even read replies or do you insist on posting the exact same thing multiple times in all caps ignoring any reply addressing this?

Can we even expect more from him???

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#218 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:16 PM

Im sorry I misunderstood.......

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: satellite, DIRECTV, The Weather Channel, weather

Protected By... spam firewall...And...