Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

The Weather Channel and DIRECTV

satellite DIRECTV The Weather Channel weather

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
217 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

Drop these bums, they don't show the weather!

Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 529 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

Public safety my ass. It's called pay for our reality shows.

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

#23 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

Bye Bye "Weather" Channel

#24 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

They probably wanted a raise because of those which I could care less about. I rather see them dropped and told we will add you for less when you go back to being weather all the time and not half documentary channel.

Public safety my ass. It's called pay for our reality shows.

Don't be afraid to be yourself.

#25 OFFLINE   shedberg

shedberg

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

Agree whole  heartedly!  The weather channel no longer really provides weather information.  All the crap shows interfere with that!  I say good riddance to TWC!

#26 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 529 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

I just checked and they have a countdown on the top of the screen for us when we could lose the channel. Lol

#27 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

But they are not showing weather until 4AM

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#28 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

It's the whether channel.  For whether or not they show any weather.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#29 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

I love that someone there thought to create an account here to push for carriage in a ridiculously over the top post full of bs and everyone has bashed them for it. I hope they read this and this shows them why DIRECTV is dropping them. It's because they aren't at all what they think they are!
  • George_T, damondlt and PCampbell like this

#30 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

I just checked and they have a countdown on the top of the screen for us when we could lose the channel. Lol

Yea I'm surprised its a directv message and not a weather channel message
Not the timer, but the message I saw scroll by
Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

#31 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

I love that someone there thought to create an account here to push for carriage in a ridiculously over the top post full of bs and everyone has bashed them for it. I hope they read this and this shows them why DIRECTV is dropping them. It's because they aren't at all what they think they are!

Comcast, and NBC can take all their programming and shove it you know where for all I care.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

#32 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

The Latest.

UPDATE, 2:05 p.m.: DirecTV sent us the following statement:

We remain in discussions with The Weather Channel on how to provide its service to our customers at the best value since people now use so many other ways to retrieve weather-related information. We launched WeatherNation (DIRECTV channel 361) as an alternative to provide 24/7 hard news weather coverage in response to numerous customer complaints that more than 40 percent of The Weather Channel’s programming is dedicated to reality television shows. DIRECTV also offers city-by-city weather coverage on more than 1,400 local broadcast stations and on DIRECTV’s emergency channels in times of severe weather.

http://www.washingto...o-drop-network/

#33 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 403 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

The Latest.

UPDATE, 2:05 p.m.: DirecTV sent us the following statement:

We remain in discussions with The Weather Channel on how to provide its service to our customers at the best value since people now use so many other ways to retrieve weather-related information. We launched WeatherNation (DIRECTV channel 361) as an alternative to provide 24/7 hard news weather coverage in response to numerous customer complaints that more than 40 percent of The Weather Channel’s programming is dedicated to reality television shows. DIRECTV also offers city-by-city weather coverage on more than 1,400 local broadcast stations and on DIRECTV’s emergency channels in times of severe weather.

http://www.washingto...o-drop-network/

So DTV is saying that their listening now "to the handful" of posters on this blog now when it suits its purpose.  Leave weather channel alone and sign the agreement.  This hypocrisy is unnecessary.  

#34 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,977 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

Dear Weather Channel PR ...

It isn't up to congress to negotiate a fair contract for you. It is up to you to offer a price DirecTV can accept and provide a product that DirecTV subscribers want. If you want your channel to be on DirecTV on Tuesday you need to talk to DirecTV.

Thanks.

:righton:

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#35 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,355 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:52 PM

Starting today, The Weather Channel will begin asking DIRECTV viewers and all Weather Channel supporters to call their Representative and Senators in Washington and ask them to help keep this critical public safety resource in the DIRECTV lineup. Given the increasing frequency and severity of weather-related emergencies across the country, access to timely and accurate weather information is imperative for public safety and, therefore, an issue meriting Congressional attention.

Out-effing-rageous. You creeps, calling on Congress to bailout your sorry programming. I will never tune your station, Shirley, regardless of whatever happens here. On to FB to protest!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#36 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

And not to mention, they want tax breaks here in metro Atlanta!

http://mdjonline.com...tives-from-Cobb

Good riddance from DirecTV as well as metro Atlanta.

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - 2014

#37 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:53 PM

So DTV is saying that their listening now "to the handful" of posters on this blog now when it suits its purpose. Leave weather channel alone and sign the agreement. This hypocrisy is unnecessary.

What hypocrisy?

#38 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:52 PM

Like others I quit watching The Weather Channel a long time ago. If I want more reality shows I will watch one of the 20 other channels I wish DirecTV would drop as well. I am ready for DirecTV and Dish to wake up and offer an affordable basic package of quality programming for folks trying to cut costs and that don't want 200+ channels.

#39 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:57 PM

Boy if TWC thinks that "Highway to Hell", "Heavy Metal Monster", & "Prospectors" (part of Saturday's line-up) are critical programs then they are really full of themselves.

I just emailed the contact on their page, and told her I hoped DirecTv dropped their channel until such time as they stopped trying to be a reality TV channel and started showing some weather again.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#40 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:59 PM

You folks that want TWC gone will be sorry when you're at the water cooler and don't know the name of the next winter storm!!!!!!!  !rolling

That comment is just SO correct.

Interestingly enough, as TWC is partially owned my NBC/Comcast...I have to wonder if they are so concerned with emergency weather information, why their local "Weatherscan" channel on my Comcast cable system is only available to people subscribing to their most expensive basic package?   Guess I should write my congress critter and complain hahahaa

Edited by Davenlr, 11 January 2014 - 11:05 PM.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: satellite, DIRECTV, The Weather Channel, weather

Protected By... spam firewall...And...