Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

The Weather Channel and DIRECTV

satellite DIRECTV The Weather Channel weather

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
217 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

I suppose that could work for those that use a Smart Phone. What about the millions that do not, Including Myself?

Why are You worried about treating Comcast Humanely?

www.thefreedictionary.com/humanely

http://www.merriam-w...y&word=humanly#

Words have meanings. Some things grate on me. Quite for Quiet is an example.

Some people still like to watch the weather channel. I include some family members.

Satellite TV was supposed to Allow for multitudinous niche channels.

It has failed.

TBoneit

Simply a typo, but thanks for the lesson. 

• Laxguy likes this

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

WeatherNation is also available to watch on the Directv app anywhere outside the home. The Weather Channel is only available in the home when connected to your network.

#53 OFFLINE   rjviola12

rjviola12

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

Take the Weather Channel off.  Here in the Birmingham AL market, we have some of the best in the business providing weather.  Also I am a trained storm spotter and I don't agree with "Torcon" and other crazy stuff that only makes giving weather warnings more complicated.  Keep it simple, tell people what they need for the area they live.  I am sure Direct TV will update the new site to provide more local weather as soon as this mess is cleared up.

#54 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 999 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

Take the Weather Channel off.....and I don't agree with "Torcon" and other crazy stuff that only makes giving weather warnings more complicated.  Keep it simple, tell people what they need for the area they live.  I am sure Direct TV will update the new site to provide more local weather as soon as this mess is cleared up.

Totally agree!!.. TORCON!!.....Winter Storm Hercules!!(so I am assuming the next Winter Storm will be named Idiot)....Please....When hearing these, the NWS must be rolling their eyes.

PS: I am a spotter also....we don't use those terms....

• PCampbell likes this

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#55 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 384 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

Here's a screenshot of TWC's notice about being dropped from DirecTV as well as a countdown clock.

Edited:  the countdown clock is also appearing in the Comcast feed here in metro Atlanta.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2014-01-12 at 11.54.09 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2014-01-12 at 12.00.36 PM.png

Edited by AMike, 12 January 2014 - 11:03 AM.

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - 2014

#56 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,416 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

Does anyone happen to know if that 800 number that the Weather Channel is showing to call is an automated one that registers callers as all opposing DirecTV's move, or can one call and say you SUPPORT what DirecTV is doing? If the latter, it'd be nice to surprise TWC. :D

Sent from my EVO using DBSTalk mobile app

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

#57 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 999 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

Here's a screenshot of TWC's notice about being dropped from DirecTV as well as a countdown clock.

Edited:  the countdown clock is also appearing in the Comcast feed here in metro Atlanta.

Of note to me in those screen shots is the fact that TWC did a re-vamp of their on screen display, and yet for DTV viewers we get nothing in the way of "customized" local info displayed(its been over 2 months), just the national slides for us. If DTV is really important to TWC, shouldn't they(TWC)  have found a way to give us more local info in their new,re-vamped display?  So DTV is supposed to just anti-up and settle for a 2nd tier graphics?

#58 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

Simply a typo, but thanks for the lesson. 

Darned it, Left off the Smiley. I found it amusing that anyone would want to treat Comcast in a humane manner.

TB

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#59 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

I want what The No Weather Channel is smoking, if they think I'm gonna pay for reality shows. #NoWeatherChannelSucks#.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#60 OFFLINE   pinkertonfloyd

pinkertonfloyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

LoL at TWC's post... really?

DirecTV should drop it, there's so many places to get Weather now... It's basically become a waste of bandwidth in todays world.

#61 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:23 AM

DTV should drop these clowns like Comcast is about to do. Isn't Highway To Hell is re runs from another network. Eh?

DTV should start polling it's subscribers' if they want to support these not so critical programs. Coast Guard Alaska ? What happened to weather on the 8's and the crawler in red at the bottom of the screen if a storm was approaching? This channel was more relevant before smart phones, not so anymore, there's an app for that. 

#62 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 987 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:32 AM

how do I get my local weather then? Since I don't have 'local" channels? this new weather channel DOES NOT HAVE LOCAL WEATHER.. 

#63 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:42 AM

They do it by area. You can connect an antenna to your TV and get local channels. Internet at weather.gov and you can get a weather radio that has local forecast and will sound an alarm for storms. There is also a app for the weather radio, works on IOS7 and I am sure there is one for android. I can go on for days with options if needed.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#64 OFFLINE   sweep49

sweep49

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 170 posts
  • LocationSW GA

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:37 AM

Drop'em.  The programming is terrible and they are largely irrelevant with all the other options available for local weather.

• ICM2000 likes this

HR22-100 + AM21
HR22-100

HR44-500 + AM21
H24

Self installed:
Slimline 5
SWM-16
MRV

#65 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:39 AM

I'm ambivalent about Satellite TV with no Weather. I know that many here have smart phones or Tablets or computers, however there are people out there that do not have or use any of those. If they are out there in an area with no or very limited internet and no real locals what should they do.

I'm positive that there are subscribers that have few other options available.

just like I'm sure there are subscribers that like the Weather Channel.

Satellite TV was supposed to allow and support Niche channels. This dispute all comes down to price. It appears that DirecTV is scrutinizing Pricing for channels much closer now than in the past.  In the past if You had a sports channel DirecTV would get it. Now that isn't happening either.

TBoneit

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#66 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 999 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

TBoneit, I somewhat agree with you. "In the beginning" satellite service was and still is the only option for many rural viewers who do not have a local cable company and do not have local OTA service. Despite the many on this Forum who seem to think those services exist for everyone and who think everyone has a smart phone, many of us don't. For a large group of Americans, satellite is their main window of information. Having said that, I feel DTV should make a stand here, against Comcast, and hopefully when all is said and done cooler heads will prevail and an agreement will be reached.

• TravelFan1 likes this

#67 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,321 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

I doubt that anyone will be left without some weather info on DIRECTV®. The whole program on TWC is cheesy, and their campaign tactics are sleazy. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#68 OFFLINE   captaink5217

captaink5217

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:28 AM

Funny thing is even though DTV fights increases from provider DTV increases to the customer are just about the same as my local Cable provider, so they don't seem to pass on the savings to the customer. DTV makes it sound as if they're fighting for you when all they're fighting for is they're profit margins, they still increase just about the same as cable, DTV just pockets more for they're shareholders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by captaink5217, 13 January 2014 - 09:45 AM.

Genie HR34-700
H24-200
C31-700

#69 OFFLINE   jrodfoo

jrodfoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

Jim Cantore says they are fighting "over a penny per subscriber"

Blog entry here:

http://www.wundergro...er-you-20140113

#70 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,321 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

Yes, and keeping on with "keeping lives at risk". Gimme a break.

• TravelFan1 likes this
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#71 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:51 AM

I got the Weather from a local FM radio, they have AM and FM radio in rural areas you don't need satellite to get the weather. 

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#72 OFFLINE   zeus

zeus

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

Yes, and keeping on with "keeping lives at risk". Gimme a break.

It's such a ridiculous angle that it basically nullifies everything else he said in his article.

Nobody can do weather like we do. Nobody.

I think he meant nobody can HYPE weather like we do.

NWS Forecast: 50% Chance of Flurries.

TWC Forecast: WINTER STORM "RABID SNOMEGEDDON NUCLEAR DEATH ADDER" TO RUTHLESSLY PILLAGE 314.5 MILLION HELPLESS AMERICANS!  

• Laxguy likes this

#73 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,268 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

how do I get my local weather then? Since I don't have 'local" channels? this new weather channel DOES NOT HAVE LOCAL WEATHER.. 

The internet.

• zeus likes this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#74 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

Totally agree!!.. TORCON!!.....Winter Storm Hercules!!(so I am assuming the next Winter Storm will be named Idiot)....Please....When hearing these, the NWS must be rolling their eyes.

PS: I am a spotter also....we don't use those terms....

Too bad someone with the NWS didn't come up with the concept.  Regardless of your likes and dislikes of the TWC, they have come up with some pretty slick terms.  Their TORCON designation is pretty slick.  Back in April 2011 they gave our area a TORCON of 9, I wished I had listened and informed myself better.  We were indeed hit that day.  TWC is by far more useful than most of the nonsense that DTV broadcast daily.  

#75 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,268 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

Too bad someone with the NWS didn't come up with the concept.  Regardless of your likes and dislikes of the TWC, they have come up with some pretty slick terms.  Their TORCON designation is pretty slick.  Back in April 2011 they gave our area a TORCON of 9, I wished I had listened and informed myself better.  We were indeed hit that day.  TWC is by far more useful than most of the nonsense that DTV broadcast daily.  

Yeah, the 8 hours of reality shows left on today's schedule are SO useful. sarcastic-yes-o.gif

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: satellite, DIRECTV, The Weather Channel, weather

Protected By... spam firewall...And...