Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

The Weather Channel and DIRECTV

satellite DIRECTV The Weather Channel weather

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
217 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   gaperrine

gaperrine

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts
  • LocationDexter MI

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

TWC claims it is vital to the health and safety of DirecTv viewers when severe weather strikes while Comcast claims DirecTv is useless once the weather turns bad and their signal is lost. They need to get their stories straight.

• TravelFan1, fleckrj and Dude111 like this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:38 PM

Here's what the screen looks like on Comcast here in metro Atlanta during a commercial and during the show.  

Their 24/7 weather coverage reminded me of an old school telethon as they were trying to prove their worthiness.  And yet today when I peeked a view on cable for a bit, they were still running the Cantore commercials and the Twitter comments from people expressing their outrage.  I don't know who their trying to get that message to since the audience they are trying to reach no longer has TWC.

I'm glad to see them gone from D* and look forward to the potential alternatives coming later this year.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2014-01-14 at 9.21.39 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2014-01-14 at 9.22.43 PM.png

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - present

#103 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

Right now, less than 24 hours after their weather marathon when they tried to prove they did weather, the weather channel has on Weather Caught on Camera with NO current weather information at all. I see it on fios. No ticker. No local weather. No national weather. Just a hug saying the weather channel and a title of the show in the corner.

And now it is 8 minutes past the hour. No break for weather on the 8s. Oops. Past the 8 minutes. And yet we just get old video.

Lying sacks of.....

what did the directv over lays mess up the local stuff?

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#104 OFFLINE   madmadworld

madmadworld

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:11 AM

About 15 years ago. :smoking:

i watched last in the 1990s in a motel.

• Dude111 likes this

#105 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:16 AM

http://www.weather.c...e-of-twc-43322? a message from the boss. And guess what? No one cares because its 2014. People have other ways to access information :soapbox:

• madmadworld likes this

#106 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:30 AM

TWC claims it is vital to the health and safety of DirecTv viewers when severe weather strikes while Comcast claims DirecTv is useless once the weather turns bad and their signal is lost. They need to get their stories straight.

I had a direct hit from hurricane IKE in the last few years. As soon as the worst of it passed my signal came back ( of course I was using a generator for electricity ).

Cable was out for about 6 weeks to repair all the downed lines, etc.

• don s likes this

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#107 OFFLINE   tnnolman

tnnolman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:32 AM

It is a disgrace that DTV and The Weather Channel cannot strike an agreement to bring the channel back. I hope this gets settled quickly or people will be calling to suspend or cancel D and go somewhere else. I am sticking this out and see what happens next.

• don s likes this

#108 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:40 AM

I doubt will be resolved quickly.

http://www.keeptheweatherchannel.com/

DIRECTV ended negotiations and turned off the The Weather Channel.

It is a disgrace that DTV and The Weather Channel cannot strike an agreement to bring the channel back. I hope this gets settled quickly or people will be calling to suspend or cancel D and go somewhere else. I am sticking this out and see what happens next.

Don't be afraid to be yourself.

#109 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,532 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

Given their current program format they should change their name to "The Semi-Weather Channel". I doubt we'll be seeing a exodus of DirecTV customers over this. 

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#110 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,582 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

More disgraceful is the media campaign run by TWC. It's full of lies and hype. And scare tactics. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#111 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,836 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:31 AM

I'm sure they'll miss those few thousand customers, if that many.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#112 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

So far nobody in our home but me has even noticed TWC is gone!!!!!

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#113 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

Comcast is running radio adds saying drop directv because they dropped TWC and Directv wont work in a storm.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#114 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,582 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

Not surprising from a bunch of lying and thieving pr***s.

• George_T and wilbur_the_goose like this
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#115 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,048 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:50 PM

So far nobody in our home but me has even noticed TWC is gone!!!!!

The same at my house.  In fact, my wife made the comment that she had read that TWC was no longer on DirecTV, so she tuned to it to see what sort of message there was, and said "for some reason, we are still getting TWC".  I had to point out to her that what she was watching was Weather Nation and not TWC.  She had not watched TWC in many years and did not notice that Weather Nation was not TWC.  I think my wife is typical of most DirecTV customers.  Very few will even notice that TWC has been replaced by Weather Nation.

• PCampbell likes this

#116 OFFLINE   don s

don s

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

More disgraceful is the media campaign run by TWC. It's full of lies and hype. And scare tactics. 

Disgraceful, yes.  'More disgraceful" , I doubt it.   What is more disgraceful is stopping negotiations and yanking a channel away from customers.   That is the most disgraceful thing anyone here has done.   Whatever the issue, keep the channel on and *try* to negotiate.   This is utter and complete disregard for customers - and I don't want to hear how they are looking out for my bill.  Look out for it by negotiating better, not by removing a channel.

This is a bad precedent 

#117 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:48 PM

It's not a "precedent." It's happened before and will happen again on all cable and satellite systems.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#118 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,048 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:57 PM

Whatever the issue, keep the channel on and *try* to negotiate.

The channel cannot be kept on without the consent of the content owner.  If the owners of TWC would have allowed the channel to remain on while negotiations continued, then DirecTV would have done so.  The only reason the channel was pulled and negotiations terminated would have been because the owners of TWC refused to allow the chanel to remain on during negotiations or because the owners of TWC made what they considered to be their final offer, and it was not an offer that DirecTV felt it could accept.

Chanels are pulled all of the time by all carriers.  Usually they come back, but sometimes they do not.  At least this time, DirecTV had a suitable replacement in Weather Nation to offer in place of TWC.

#119 OFFLINE   Contra

Contra

Mentor

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:19 PM

According to the CEO of The Weather Channel: 

"I just don't understand how DIRECTV would drop The Weather Channel over a penny per subscriber increase and a fee that every other distributor in the business is paying."

I'm not privy to whether this is true or not, but it is interesting that he would go public with this statement. One penny doesn't sound like a lot, although TWC wasn't getting very much to begin with, so on a percentage basis this might be considered a big increase.

#120 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

According to the CEO of The Weather Channel: 

"I just don't understand how DIRECTV would drop The Weather Channel over a penny per subscriber increase and a fee that every other distributor in the business is paying."

I'm not privy to whether this is true or not, but it is interesting that he would go public with this statement. One penny doesn't sound like a lot, although TWC wasn't getting very much to begin with, so on a percentage basis this might be considered a big increase.

fun with math.

Let's say it is a penny per sub per month. That would be $200,000 per based upon a nice round number of 20 million subs. As TWC has  ratings in the range of 200,000 total viewers from all sources, it is safe to say that DirecTV watchers are probably somewhere near 20,000 or so. That means $200,000 for 20,000 customers or $10 a month.

Not literally and this kind of argument can be made for a bunch of channels but looking at it at both sides. Yes, it may be a penny a month but pennies have a way of adding up.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: satellite, DIRECTV, The Weather Channel, weather

spam firewall