Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

The Weather Channel and DIRECTV

satellite DIRECTV The Weather Channel weather

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
217 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   DJZack

DJZack

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

TWC has been on the decline for a while now. I'm really do not miss it very much. I do have to say having weather nation is a lot better

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,938 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

I understand that this no/no is not how it exists now, far from it.   I am saying that for the customer's sake, that is how it should be.   Otherwise 1 side yanks it off the air and screws the paying customer.

Look at it this way: The last time DirecTV and The Weather Channel sat down and successfully negotiated a contract they BOTH agreed to an end date. BOTH sides decided that the channel would only be carried until 12:01am ET on January 14th, 2014. BOTH sides entered into the agreement willingly.

Neither side yanked the programming off of the air. The carriage contract came to an end.

DirecTV cannot carry TWC without a contract ... so the idea that they leave it on for some indeterminate amount of time without an agreement is not possible. BOTH sides would have to agree to terms to extend the contract. No agreement, no carriage. The last thing DirecTV and TWC agreed on was that the carriage agreement would end.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#163 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:03 AM

remember that DIRECTV does not have the right to broadcast any channel without an agreement.

No your right Stu and ya know why buddy?

Every network wants to get $$$$$ to be carried (Especially USA run networks)

It must be hard for companies like DirecTV!!

Edited by Dude111, 19 January 2014 - 06:41 AM.

#164 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:05 AM

Can we merge or close one of the two or three weather channel threads in DIRECTV and just use one? ;). The other one has the links to the remarks by the CEO that they the channel is gone for a while and possibly perminantly and there are no negotiations going on.
  • KyL416 likes this

#165 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,768 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:00 AM

Can we merge or close one of the two or three weather channel threads in DIRECTV and just use one? ;). The other one has the links to the remarks by the CEO that they the channel is gone for a while and possibly perminantly and there are no negotiations going on.

+1 can you guys please combine the threads? Thanks.

#166 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:25 AM

Agree.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#167 OFFLINE   DJZack

DJZack

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

Loving Weather Nation

• Dude111 likes this

#168 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

Weather, the ultimate reality show.

• George_T and bubbaray21 like this

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#169 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:09 PM

Agree.

How about if we let those die.... I think is about time.  what is done is done.....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#170 OFFLINE   bubbaray21

bubbaray21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Carolinas

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

I am a big fan if the Weather Channel, especially when it comes to reporting on extreme conditions. As much as DTV would have you believe Weather Nation is the second coming, we won't know how it will match up to the WC when it comes to those extremes.

That said, I have read much in the back and forth between the WC and DTV and while neither holds all the cards, I'll be damned if I "Pledge to Switch" over a single channel especially when I think DTV is the best service available. The WC put themselves in this position by going 'reality' but I understand it was done to save money in paying for a 24x7 live staff.

As much as I believe the WC is a valuable programming asset, I made the mistake of changing to Dish once and cable twice and regretted it. Let's hope the WC and DTV can agree to disagree and get it back on the system.
  • PCampbell likes this
When nothing goes right, turn left.

#171 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,752 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

????? Why the double post? All you needed was the refresh button if you didn't see your post.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#172 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

Hi bubbaray21

When You are posting, You can avoid duplicate posts by waiting for the green blocks to go away before clicking post again. Unless You get a error message Your post will go through.

TBoneit

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#173 OFFLINE   bubbaray21

bubbaray21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Carolinas

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

Not intended. Sorry.

#174 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,133 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

Hi bubbaray21

When You are posting, You can avoid duplicate posts by waiting for the green blocks to go away before clicking post again. Unless You get a error message Your post will go through.

TBoneit

And sometimes, even if you do get an error, it posts. I've run into it myself.

#175 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

Sorry folks Weather Nation sucks.   NO access to local forecasts like we had via TC apps and red button with weather on the 8's

#176 OFFLINE   jessshaun

jessshaun

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:03 AM

I respectfully disagree. I don't miss weather channel at all. Hopefully we can just forget about the weather channel and wait until Q3 when accuweather starts their channel, and then have it as well as weatherNation. I'd be perfectly happy.

#177 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

Sorry folks Weather Nation sucks.   NO access to local forecasts like we had via TC apps and red button with weather on the 8's

DirecTV and WeatherNation said they're working on bringing local forecasts to us.

#178 OFFLINE   bubbaray21

bubbaray21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Carolinas

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

TWC has been on the decline for a while now. I'm really do not miss it very much. I do have to say having weather nation is a lot betterSent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

I totally disagree. Just because they went in an odd direction with programming doesn't mean they have lost their way with weather and covering it. TWC at its worst is still better than anything WN could produce. Their people are TV savvy and they don't waste a lot of time with minutia when covering a serious event.

If this dispute is over a penny a sub, maybe DTV could demand they return to 24x7 weather coverage as a compromise and IMHO this could be resolved rather quickly. Whatever DTV gives us for weather, TWC has years of experience under their belts and it would take almost that long for a startup to even come close to the overall product.

#179 OFFLINE   DJZack

DJZack

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

I have no dispute on how knowledgeable they are. I have been a fan of them since the day they arrived. My problem is now. When I turn on the weather Channel. I want to see whether not the reality series that is my point

• PCampbell likes this

#180 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

I have allways liked the wethar channel but in the last couple of years when I turn it on there is no weather on. If they can go back to what they were I would love for them to come back. It is not about a penny pre sub that is TWC way to make if sound like a big company wont pay a small amount for us. Comcast NBC is a larger company so let them give up the penny fot us if TWC is so inportant.

• Dude111 likes this

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: satellite, DIRECTV, The Weather Channel, weather

Protected By... spam firewall...And...