Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Want to pre-wire for new installation, how many lines from dish?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   burnedpixel

burnedpixel

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

I recently moved and will be running new RG6 myself.

I plan to have all homeruns to a network closet and will run the line(s) from the dish to this closet. I know in the past you used to have to run four lines from the dish to a multiswitch, but with the recent advances of the SWiM, four lines may no longer be required.

My previous installation had an HR24 and H24, and I'll probably just use those for now at my new place. I may add additional receivers, and/or a genie down the road.

How many lines do I need to run down from the dish to the network closet to run an HR24 and an H24? If I added a genie, would that change the number of lines required from the dish?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

The total numbers of tuners for a single SWM LNB (one rg6) is 8 (genie receiver total tuner is  5 tuners) HDDVR is 2 HR is 1 Should you ever need more than 8 tuners -I would run 4 even if you only plan on using 2 receivers for now. Bu running 4 -will be able to have a 16 tuners if needed Without rewiring.

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

Run 4 in case you ever want to go over 8 tuners, or if a line ever goes bad you've got a spare.  When doing any cable pull like that, the general rule is to pull an extra.  A quad pull is not that much harder than a single and that way you dont have to go back later and pull more

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,239 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

Yes, four from your dish location to your closet and if you have OTA channels available, you should run one from your potential antenna location to your closet.

#5 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

And please, everyone, be careful about location of the cables.  It can be a major problem if a drywaller puts a screw thru a line.  They don't deliberately try, (well a few, LOL) and once there is a screw in a piece of coax, that piece is ruined, even if you find the screw and get it out.

They make those metal shields you tap in, and just be aware of where everything is.  Also, try not to have wires rattle against ductwork, look out for plumbing and romex.

Doesn't hurt to pull a couple for OTA, and if you are in an area served by CATV, even if your a diehard satellite fan, anticipate a possible cable hookup anyhow.

Once the drywall is on, the paint is finished and all the trim is done, you don't want to realize you needed to pull a couple more wires.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

The total numbers of tuners for a single SWM LNB (one rg6) is 8 (genie receiver total tuner is  5 tuners) HDDVR is 2 HR is 1 Should you ever need more than 8 tuners -I would run 4 even if you only plan on using 2 receivers for now. Bu running 4 -will be able to have a 16 tuners if needed Without rewiring.

Actually with 4 wires from the dish, you can run an "unlimited" quality of tuners, with the right equipment.  Point is, that 4 is the most you will ever need for DirecTV or 5 with if you add an international package 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

I would also run cat5 cables for a fast internet connection.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

HR20-100 s/w version 0x087f
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#8 OFFLINE   burnedpixel

burnedpixel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

I ended up running four RG6 for DirecTV to the closet. I also ran a fifth for my Time Warner cable source so I can place my modem and router in there (Cat5e are all running into this closet as well). Got compression crimper and a bunch of f-connectors, I'm excited to have this setup so nicely :)

Thanks for all the replies!

#9 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:53 AM

Sorry I am late to the party, but there are a couple of things that may change when the installer shows up. First of all he will probably want to replace any coax you have from the dish to the grounding lug with his siamese solid core copper/grounding wire coax. This is required by almost all building codes for proper grounding of the dish. He will also probably want to replace any coax from the grounding lug to your "network closet" with solid copper core coax. (People argue on this point, but D* installation instructions seem to demand solid core coax to the dish on SWM installations.)  He will probably install any required PI in the closet. From here out you will probably be golden as long as you have left enough room for line dressing and connectors. Your installer will gladly do all the connector installation for you.  Your installer will also add any splitters needed for the installation..

Just be aware that with SWM technology you will not be able to duplex any cable signals on the same line as your DirecTV coax. So, you will need separate cabling for that functionality.

And yes, things do change when you go over the 8 tuner limit. But, it sounds like you have that covered with the extra RG6 line. (You don't need an extra power or grounding connection for this.)

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,334 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:05 AM

Just be aware that with SWM technology you will not be able to duplex any cable signals on the same line as your DirecTV coax. So, you will need separate cabling for that functionality.

to be more precise, is DECA that does not let you duplex, as SWM makes it possible 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   vanduse1

vanduse1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

Does anyone have any RG6 purchase recommendations?  I am looking at Monoprice & Solid Signal.  The one at Solid Signal that says DirectTV approved is not quad shielded.  Solid Signal also carries a quad shielded cable as well.

I am looking for the best deal but want to make sure I don't put in inferior cable too.  Do I need quad shield?  Any advice is appreciated.  

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,334 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

Does anyone have any RG6 purchase recommendations?  I am looking at Monoprice & Solid Signal.  The one at Solid Signal that says DirectTV approved is not quad shielded.  Solid Signal also carries a quad shielded cable as well.

I am looking for the best deal but want to make sure I don't put in inferior cable too.  Do I need quad shield?  Any advice is appreciated.  

You don't need quad shield.  Make sure you get RG6 Solid Copper Core

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

This is what I use:  http://www.solidsign...ku=610370580981

My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   jangelj

jangelj

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

My apologies for thread hijacking, but I do have a related question.

I thought with single-wire technology that all you'd need from the dish to the tuner would be 1 wire.  I just prewired my new house for a Genie and only had them run one cable from where the satellite dish will be installed to the spot where the Genie will be installed.  I then plan on having 2 Genie mini clients for other rooms.

Is 1 wire sufficient for such a basic install?  I don't have multiple receivers, just plan on getting a Genie.  I suppose I could have run an extra in case a cable fails, but barring cable failure would 1 work for me?

Thanks!

#15 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

My apologies for thread hijacking, but I do have a related question.

I thought with single-wire technology that all you'd need from the dish to the tuner would be 1 wire.  I just prewired my new house for a Genie and only had them run one cable from where the satellite dish will be installed to the spot where the Genie will be installed.  I then plan on having 2 Genie mini clients for other rooms.

Is 1 wire sufficient for such a basic install?  I don't have multiple receivers, just plan on getting a Genie.  I suppose I could have run an extra in case a cable fails, but barring cable failure would 1 work for me?

Thanks!

A single Run of RG6 will Support 8 TUNERS - The Genie= 5 tuners the the minis (clients) use a a tuner from the genie -for live TV viewing

SO that should wok for now -(however) if you can run at least 3 more to the outside (where the one is now located (not all the way to the dish) Should you ever increase the number of tuners to more than 8 -then those line could be extended to the Dish because you will need 4 lines at that time.

Also If you have cable internet -you should run a RG6 for that as well as they can not be combined. Running extra wire now will prevent fishing wires through closed walls later (YRS) later.

Enjoy your service

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#16 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

One more point. While it is debated on this forum, installers are instructed to use solid copper core coax from the power inserter to the dish. Depending on the distance from where the installer will place the PI, he/she may want to replace any existing copper cladded coax with solid core.

To comply with codes in most areas, the dish must be grounded. So, the installer will want to use solid core siamese coax from the dish to the grounding block. If you just have coax for this run, it will probably get replaced.

All other coax can be standard RG6. The rf signals travel over copper cladded steel just fine.

This is in addition to what has already been said.

#17 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

Solid copper Core is to be used by D* installers  for all runs(except - Prewired locations- If the coax will support it - It is a D* standard Required for all SWM installs -Steel clad will work at times depending on the distance Shorter the better

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#18 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

Solid copper Core is to be used by D* installers  for all runs(except - Prewired locations- If the coax will support it - It is a D* standard Required for all SWM installs -Steel clad will work at times depending on the distance Shorter the better

Well, this makes sense since people seem to move the PIs around. But, the rf signal could care less since it only travels over the surface of any wire. (I did all the pre-wire on my home and the installer was only concerned about the run to the splitter and insisted on replacing that with his solid core. That was a few years ago.I suspect they are more firm on the solid core now.)

#19 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:10 PM

Well, this makes sense since people seem to move the PIs around. But, the rf signal could care less since it only travels over the surface of any wire. (I did all the pre-wire on my home and the installer was only concerned about the run to the splitter and insisted on replacing that with his solid core. That was a few years ago.I suspect they are more firm on the solid core now.)

Resistance is (the reason) less over solid copper core, but it will work less resistance the better for flow J Not Arguing .

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,334 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

Resistance is (the reason) less over solid copper core, but it will work less resistance the better for flow J Not Arguing .

resistance to what? Power? RF?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall