Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NASCAR Gets It Right at Daytona

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   blingbling

blingbling

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 05:12 PM

No, NASCAR didn't fix much of this Sunday, but it at least showed a long step in the right direction by presenting, for the first time in a very long time, something that looked like a race, with lapped cars a factor on the track, the field broken into clumps of competing cars, and, in the end, a priceless duel between the best drivers, the best cars, with Dale Earnhardt Jr. beating Tony Stewart to a dramatic checkered flag.

NASCAR has tried for 15 years to devise an alternative to the restrictions, but nothing has worked, and it looks like we're stuck with them as long as NASCAR deals with its present insurer and its present car formula. Yet, NASCAR has made a few significant moves over the past year or so, and those moves, in my view, paid off spendidly Sunday.

http://www.speedtv.c...to/nascar/9799/
NEBRASKA - Iowa style at Kansas prices. - Conan O'Brien

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 16 February 2004 - 07:56 PM

And even NBC did a fair job covering the race. How about that?
HarryD

#3 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 08:14 PM

This was the first Daytona 500 in 14 years I did not see one lap of. I remember watching my first Daytona race when I was 5, the past few years I've watched at least 100 laps or so, or tried to but this year I had no interest in watching, and I'll never watch a Cup races voluntarily again thanks to two boneheaded moves on NASCARs part. I didn't even know who won the 500 until this morning when I was listening to the radio and they did the sports recap.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#4 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 16 February 2004 - 09:54 PM

Which two bonheaded moves?

I'm guessing one of them (in your opinion) would be the "Chase For The Championship" not-quite-a-playoff format.

Other moves (Nextel, Sunoco, 5 more points to the race winner) seem pretty logical (though I would have preferred having Visa win the sponsorship deal - changing to "Visa Cup" would have sounded more generic)

#5 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 10:54 PM

I would have to credit the smaller fuel tanks with splitting up the field and the long green flag run. I was kinda pissed that Ricky Rudd went a lap down early due to pit and then yellow.
I'm an angry gumball
Known Dish 6000 Tips and Tricks

#6 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 03:26 AM

Yep one of them is the Chase For The Champainship, the other is NASCAR opening the door for Toyota. Granted Toyota isn't in the Nextel Cup or Busch Grand National Series...yet, but I don't like the idea idea of having an overseas based manufacture involved in what is supposed to be America's sport.

I don't have a problem with Sunoco or Nextel. When I fill up my tank, it's usually from the Sunoco station down the road an my wireless provider is Nextel :)
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Down With Verizon!

#7 OFFLINE   Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 05:06 AM

Problem with Toyota is they meet NASCAR's requirements for entry - primarily that the make in question be manufactured in the USA. The Tundra is made in Princeton, IN. The only question is what make will they try to bring into BGN or NC (boy, that looks weird - NC v WC)?
If you can read this, you are too close.

#8 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 05:40 AM

OK, here goes.

Toyota is a worldwide company. Its stock is listed on NYSE, and it has 1000s of American owners, including me. It makes cars and car parts in the USA, Canada, the UK, France, South Africa, Australia, Indonesia, and Japan. It has major plants in Indiana, Kentucky, California, Ontario and right here in West Virginia, where it took a chance on an economically depressed area no one else would. It employs 1000s of Americans and Canadians. It is my very good neighbor.

Similar statements are available for Nissan, Mitsubisihi, and Honda.

GM is a worldwide company. It makes cars in the USA, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Venezuella, the UK, Sweeden, France, Germany, Poland, communist Vietnam, communist China, Indonesia, Australia, and Japan. The first non-US GM car was made before WWI.

Ford is a worldwide company. It makes cars in the USA, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, the UK, France, Germany, Spain, communist Vietnam, communist China, Australia, and Japan. The first non-US Ford was made before WWII. The primary owners of Ford remain the Ford family, who hold to extremist politics that might, and might should, concern you.

Daimler-Chrysler is a late 90s merger between Daimler-Benz, Chrysler, and American Motors. Less than 1/2 of the stock is listed on NYSE or TSE, the majority is listed on Stuguart. It makes cars in Germany, South Africa, communist Vietnam, communist China, Finland, Mexico, Argentina, Nigeria, the USA, the UK, Canada, and Japan.

There is no such thing as an "American" car company.

Toyota Tundra trucks are assembled in Richmond, Indiana, USA from 95+% USA/Canada parts. They were 100% designed at Toyota's US design studio in Michigan. Their eventual NASCAR car, the Camry is assembled in Georgetown, Kentucky, USA and Richmond, Ontario, Canada. It is 100% designed in Michigan.

Welcome to NASCAR to this wonderful, well-run, primarially union-free, company.

#9 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 08:41 AM

Can NASCAR fix the radio broadcasts?
As a background, I grew up only listening / watching the Indy 500.
On Sunday, I turned on the NASCAR broadcast, and it sounded like the announcers were talking about the game while watching on a muted TV in Ankorage Alaska. Where's the track noise!?!
(Yes there was a little track noise every now and then, but no where near the amount I heard on last weeks Bud shootout on TV, and on radio, I can only use hearing to experience the race)
All Indy 500 radio broadcasts I've listened to have a good amount of the car noise, and was a much more exciting race to listen to.

#10 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 04:39 PM

That's all fine and well Sam, but I will never accept Toyota or any other auto manufacture besides, GM, Ford and DCX in NASCAR. I just can't. I fully agree with Jimmy Spencor, too bad he apologized for his statements, I wouldn't have. As I said above, that's part of the reason why I will no longer watch a NASCAR event, unless it's on ESPN Classic. Gary Nelson can continue to sell out the sport and gain popularity, but I don't want any part of it.
Down With Verizon!

#11 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 06:22 PM

Daytona TV ratings final number is 10.6, up from last year's 9.8 but down from the all time high of 10.9 in 2002. The third highest ranked Daytona 500 broadcast was 10.5 for the 1979 running of the race.
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

#12 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 February 2004 - 07:47 PM

Hey, we can't all agree on everything!

I'm more ticked off at the result of the Daimler/Chrysler merger (initially sold as a "merger of equals" that ended up being so far from the truth that it's ridiculous) than at Toyota.

But like many people, I say "bring 'em on". It's hard to say you have the best racing in the world when you exclude manufacturers for arbitrary reason. If you REALLY are the best, you can stand up to the competition.

#13 OFFLINE   zman977

zman977

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 12:10 PM

Can NASCAR fix the radio broadcasts?
As a background, I grew up only listening / watching the Indy 500.
On Sunday, I turned on the NASCAR broadcast, and it sounded like the announcers were talking about the game while watching on a muted T V in Ankorage Alaska. Where's the track noise!?!
(Yes there was a little track noise every now and then, but no where near the amount I heard on last weeks Bud shootout on TV, and on radio, I can only use hearing to experience the race)
All Indy 500 radio broadcasts I've listened to have a good amount of the car noise, and was a much more exciting race to listen to.

It could be that the station carrying the race was dialed in the the network on a phone line instead of using a satellite feed. When we carried the NASCAR races a few years ago we only carried select ones so my bosses didn't want to bother with a direct satellite feed so we had to dial in to the Performance Racing Network using a telephone number and the sound quality was similar to what you are describing. I will say board oping the races (running the local commercials) is what made me a NASCAR fan.

#14 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 02:56 PM

The only reason I turned it on, was so my 2 yr old son could hear the zoom-zoom! We caught part of the Bud shootout on TV, and he was absoulutely mezmirized by those "Reece Cars" He spent a great deal of play time that week playing zoom zoom with his toy cars.

Interesting, but I did not think that my FM station, WXCL, was dealing with a lack of range like a phone line. Shame on NASCAR for not catering to the 1-5 male audience ;)

#15 OFFLINE   Alan Keith

Alan Keith

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 05:02 PM

That's all fine and well Sam, but I will never accept Toyota or any other auto manufacture besides, GM, Ford and DCX in NASCAR. I just can't. I fully agree with Jimmy Spencor, too bad he apologized for his statements, I wouldn't have. As I said above, that's part of the reason why I will no longer watch a NASCAR event, unless it's on ESPN Classic. Gary Nelson can continue to sell out the sport and gain popularity, but I don't want any part of it.

I am with you Steve on this subject. Toyota had to build a special engine from scratch to race in the series. If they don't make something close from the factory they are varying too much from the roots of nascar. Don't forget the other stupid moves of the new championship raceoff/restrictor plates/rules changes weekly/PSL seat license/shortened races and the France track monoply. I have been to several races around the country but no more money from this household will go to nascar.

#16 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 02 March 2004 - 07:33 PM

Show me ONE normally aspirated, pushrod V8 gasoline engine produced in this country on sale in showrooms. GM, Ford and DCX don't make them anymore and they haven't for a *long* time.

#17 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 07:39 PM

Umm, hate to pop your bubble, but the "Chevrolet", "Ford" and "Dodge" engines used in NASCAR are all purpose built, sharing not one part in common with any engine made by the car companies, and have been such since 1996.

Oh, and the only place, in the world, where the All-American Chevrolet Monte Carlo is built? Oshawa, Ontario, Canada.

Oh, and Mr. Spencer's political and historic views seem to have changed since 2000-2002, when he drove, before being fired, the Target Dodge, made by Germany's Daimler-Chrysler. Since his associate sponsors were England's Gillette, which makes all of its razors in, Hong Kong, communist China; and Fuji Film, which makes its film in Japan (and South Carolina and Belgium, but it that don't count for Toyota, it don't count for Fuji). And his car owners were a Cuban escapee and a son of Italian immigrants.

What a piece of work.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...