Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

failing internal drive

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zcarguy

zcarguy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

Hi guys

My HR 21-700 has a failing drive.  I want to add an external esata regardless.  What current drives are recommended.  I know wd green caviar drives used to work fine but I am wondering if the WD20EZRX is considered a good drive.

I did check the following thread but only found recent posts regarding raid setups

http://www.dbstalk.c...commended-list/

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by zcarguy, 12 January 2014 - 07:59 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,209 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

Hi guys

My HR 21-700 has a failing drive.  I want to add an external esata regardless.  What current drives are recommended.  I know wd green caviar drives used to work fine but I am wondering if the WD20EZRX is considered a good drive.

I did check the following thread but only found recent posts regarding raid setups

http://www.dbstalk.c...commended-list/

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

I've got at least one of the EARX drives and have no problems with it.  Just about any WD Green Caviar drive will work, but the EARX drive is on sale at amazon.com for $79.  Worth that.

Rich

#3 OFFLINE   zcarguy

zcarguy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:23 AM

I've got at least one of the EARX drives and have no problems with it.  Just about any WD Green Caviar drive will work, but the EARX drive is on sale at amazon.com for $79.  Worth that.

Rich

Thanks, I ordered the WD10EURX and recorded 10 hours straight without any reboots.  This drive seems to be compatible on the HR21-700 using an old Antec MX-1

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,209 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

Thanks, I ordered the WD10EURX and recorded 10 hours straight without any reboots.  This drive seems to be compatible on the HR21-700 using an old Antec MX-1

That's a good drive, too.

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   mechman

mechman

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

I have a WD20EZRX drive matched up with a HR24-500 that's giving me fits the last couple of days.  All the diagnostic tests, both DirecTV's and independent, come up as a good drive with no issues but it doesn't seem to want to boot for some reason.  More on this later as I'm headed out the door right now...

#6 OFFLINE   mechman

mechman

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

Continued from above...

Two days ago the receiver had nothing but a black screen I rebooted the receiver yesterday and it decided to to the long hard drive test.  Several hours later the test was done and I watched it finish with no errors.  The receiver then rebooted on its own and proceeded to fire up the long hard drive test again.  I let it do this overnight - I'd guess it ran at least twice given the amount of time between when I went to bed and when I checked it again.  When I did check it again it was at 89% of completion for the long test and there were no errors.  I did a couple of different checks on it as well and they came up with no errors either.  Right now it's going through a long Western Digital check.

I tried changing the cable and using it on a different HR24-100 receiver with no luck.  This setup had been running flawlessly for a couple of years.  I'd have a tough time believing that it could go kaput overnight with all of the hard drive tests coming up clean.

Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmm".

I'll keep you posted on my endeavors. 

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,209 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

Continued from above...

Two days ago the receiver had nothing but a black screen I rebooted the receiver yesterday and it decided to to the long hard drive test.  Several hours later the test was done and I watched it finish with no errors.  The receiver then rebooted on its own and proceeded to fire up the long hard drive test again.  I let it do this overnight - I'd guess it ran at least twice given the amount of time between when I went to bed and when I checked it again.  When I did check it again it was at 89% of completion for the long test and there were no errors.  I did a couple of different checks on it as well and they came up with no errors either.  Right now it's going through a long Western Digital check.

I tried changing the cable and using it on a different HR24-100 receiver with no luck.  This setup had been running flawlessly for a couple of years.  I'd have a tough time believing that it could go kaput overnight with all of the hard drive tests coming up clean.

Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmm".

I'll keep you posted on my endeavors. 

Huh.  I thought that HDD was newer than that.  What are you using as an external device for the HDD?  It sounds like your external device might well be the culprit.  Usually is.  That's why I keep a couple external devices that I know are good.  An external device that's going bad (and they go bad quickly) will give you symptoms that mimic a bad HDD.  I'd stop running those diagnostics and change the eternal device.  That should solve your problem.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   mechman

mechman

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

Huh.  I thought that HDD was newer than that.  What are you using as an external device for the HDD?  It sounds like your external device might well be the culprit.  Usually is.  That's why I keep a couple external devices that I know are good.  An external device that's going bad (and they go bad quickly) will give you symptoms that mimic a bad HDD.  I'd stop running those diagnostics and change the eternal device.  That should solve your problem.

Rich

At my age things seem to move too quick so maybe it's only been a little over a year.   :wacko:

And I'd have to agree that it probably is the enclosure.  Everything else has been checked so that's the final possibility.  I'll have to track down something new at Microcenter later this week. 

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

then you should rush to it, as in Bay Area the store went out in a few years after attempted compete with Fry's

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,209 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

At my age things seem to move too quick so maybe it's only been a little over a year.   :wacko:

And I'd have to agree that it probably is the enclosure.  Everything else has been checked so that's the final possibility.  I'll have to track down something new at Microcenter later this week. 

You might try one of these.  We're used to using them and, while they do have problems, they're pretty reliable.  Here's a link.  They come with an eSATA to SATA jumper cable and require no tools.  We don't see any problems lately with the jumper cables anymore either.  

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   mechman

mechman

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:11 PM

then you should rush to it, as in Bay Area the store went out in a few years after attempted compete with Fry's

The one here in the Twin Cities is doing fine from what I can tell.  We don't have a Fry's so there isn't much competition for them.

You might try one of these.  We're used to using them and, while they do have problems, they're pretty reliable.  Here's a link.  They come with an eSATA to SATA jumper cable and require no tools.  We don't see any problems lately with the jumper cables anymore either.  

Rich

Done.  Thanks Rich!  I occasionally follow your external hard drive posts just to stay on top of things so I was aware of the Thermaltake station.  I just didn't want to fix what wasn't broken. 

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,209 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

The one here in the Twin Cities is doing fine from what I can tell.  We don't have a Fry's so there isn't much competition for them.

Done.  Thanks Rich!  I occasionally follow your external hard drive posts just to stay on top of things so I was aware of the Thermaltake station.  I just didn't want to fix what wasn't broken. 

Oddly, I just went thru what I think is an HDD loss.  One of my old WD EADS triggered a diagnostic check during a nasty snow storm.  It was on the 24-100 that feeds my GD's TV and my wife wanted it quickly fixed.  My GD doesn't record on that TV, just has the TV on for background noise.  I just took the external drive off and put the 100 back on the internal and she was happy.  Now I have to check out the TT dock and see if that was the culprit or if the old EADS is really shot.  Got about 3-4 years out of that EADs, I think.  Not bad.

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   Ignatz

Ignatz

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

I've used Hitachi, WD and Seagate drives in external enclosures by Rosewill (Newegg) with no problems on both HR-20 and HR-21 units. I also tried one on my new HR-44 just to see if it would work (and it does). But it's easy to replace the internal drive on an HR-21, so I've done that rather than use an external. The best thing to do at the first sign of problems with a drive is to clone it (Easus-free) and switch to the clone. If there are bad sectors on the original, there will be some corrupted files on the clone, but at least you'll save the rest of the content. The drives are a pain to remove in an HR-20, but it can be done with some perseverance.

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,209 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

I've used Hitachi, WD and Seagate drives in external enclosures by Rosewill (Newegg) with no problems on both HR-20 and HR-21 units. I also tried one on my new HR-44 just to see if it would work (and it does). But it's easy to replace the internal drive on an HR-21, so I've done that rather than use an external. The best thing to do at the first sign of problems with a drive is to clone it (Easus-free) and switch to the clone. If there are bad sectors on the original, there will be some corrupted files on the clone, but at least you'll save the rest of the content. The drives are a pain to remove in an HR-20, but it can be done with some perseverance.

I think the hardest internal drive to replace with a bigger drive is the 24-100.  And the 24-200 is almost impossible (unless you want to use wire ties) to put a drive into it.  

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   mechman

mechman

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:11 PM

Well the Thermaltake didn't help matters at all.  It still wants to run through long tests constantly and it keeps finding no errors.  The drive in question now resides in the same external case that it was in originally and is connected to my computer and used for storage.  Don't really know what the issue ever really was.  I'm currently just using the internal drive on the 24-500.  I've got enough storage on the genie that I don't think I'll bother with another external on the 24-500.

FYI - it's a Rosewill enclosure that I am using.

spam firewall