Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dolby Digital

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   doo4usc

doo4usc

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

Just upgraded my clients to R22's. I have my sound set up to a Denon receiver. Must I have my audio set to Dolby Digital on my  R22's? The Directv tech that installed all my DVR's, set them all to Dolby Digital "OFF". I have my Denon set to Dolby Digital. I just call D*, she said to turn Doly off on my receiver...I started to ask why when we were disconnected. Any help? My Denon is an "AVR-X2000.

AVR-2106
RDR-GX330
2 HR20-700
Zinwell WB68
Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

Off is default in the receivers. Turn it back on if you want Dolby.

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,194 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

Off is default in the receivers. Turn it back on if you want Dolby.

+1

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   doo4usc

doo4usc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

If the Dolby was off on the DVR during recording, then played back on through Genie which is "on", I assume, no Dolby...I get stereo no center.

One other thing, some ch's, with my Dolby on, the program has no center. Some of the commercials do and some don"t (?). My receiver shows Dolby Digital the whole time.

AVR-2106
RDR-GX330
2 HR20-700
Zinwell WB68
Since 1996

#5 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

If the Dolby was off on the DVR during recording, then played back on through Genie which is "on", I assume, no Dolby...I get stereo no center.

One other thing, some ch's, with my Dolby on, the program has no center. Some of the commercials do and some don"t (?). My receiver shows Dolby Digital the whole time.

No, it does not matter if Dolby was on or off on the DVR during recording, if the program source has Dolby the recording will have Dolby

Your center channel problem is at the station. We see reports of it from time to time, it's a setup problem at the station itself. FYI there are three sources of commercials, national ones that come with network prime time programming, local ones that come from local programming and ones inserted by DirectV at your DVR.  They will all have different audio setups at the station, thus the differences you are seeing.

#6 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,634 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

There actually is a Dolby Digital 4.1 standard which leaves out the center front. I suspect it was used primarily for a live music presence but may have ended up more widespread. I have one DVD Al DiMeola One of These Nights that uses this format. Other than that haven't seen it might have been a cheap buy in for studios.

Here is a taste

Don "A little Al for your entrainment" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,194 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

Just upgraded my clients to R22's. I have my sound set up to a Denon receiver. Must I have my audio set to Dolby Digital on my  R22's? The Directv tech that installed all my DVR's, set them all to Dolby Digital "OFF". I have my Denon set to Dolby Digital. I just call D*, she said to turn Doly off on my receiver...I started to ask why when we were disconnected. Any help? My Denon is an "AVR-X2000.

How are you hooked up to the Denon for sound ?

Have you tried the Optical connection if you are using HDMI to see if there is a difference ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   doo4usc

doo4usc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

No, my first time with a straight HDMI to HDMI...Usually have fiber or coax for the audio...I'll give it a try, THX

AVR-2106
RDR-GX330
2 HR20-700
Zinwell WB68
Since 1996

#9 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,499 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

No, my first time with a straight HDMI to HDMI...Usually have fiber or coax for the audio...I'll give it a try, THX

You shouldn't need to use optical or coax for the digital audio.  What model Denon AV Receiver do you have?  Any recent AV Receiver can process the DD5.1 audio via its HDMI connection.

• Bradman likes this
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

spam firewall