Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Another question about movers connection

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

A friend of ours owns a row of town homes out in the country. One of his tenants has decided to move into the world of home ownership starting March 1st. Our friend has offered my family first shot at renting the place. Since i am currently living in city (and its getting pretty bad by the day) we are going to jump on it. The current people are Directv customers so all of the wiring is in place and i am about 95% sure its a SWM setup. I know its a slimline dish for sure but either way i plan to take my current dish with me for parts as my current landlady has requested that i kindly remove it and silicone the holes when i leave.

With all that said, as you can see there really is no need for a tech to drive all the way out there as i most likely will just have to screw a coax cable in the wall at each receiver location or worse case swapping out an LNB and adding a splitter. I don't really care about having free programing for 3 months so, other than having a friendly tech come to your home and Directv giving you free programing is there really any other benefits to using the movers connection that i may be missing??

Edited by Old_School, 13 January 2014 - 04:46 PM.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

Since you have a system that depends very heavily on DECA, it may be beneficial to have a DIRECTV supported setup (as opposed to one uses all the same parts but doesn't come with support). SWiM is only part of the battle when you've got a Genie client.

In any event, you would do well to confirm the existing configuration is anywhere near your goal configuration before you make a decision. If the existing system is WB68 based, there will be come fairly substantial changes to the architecture and perhaps some limitations that weren't an issue before that become so with SWiM and DECA (mostly related to cable lengths). OTOH, it could be ready to rock. Either way you need to know.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,703 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

If is not installed to code, DirecTV can refused to service your system without paying for a full reinstallation.  better to have them install this for you

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

good points.... i'll be up there tomorrow night for some things to i will have to look around a bit and confirm. I do know for sure that there March 1st move out date ends there one year lease with our friend and it is/was there only lease period with them so everything with them was installed within the last year... I know it does not mean it was all new but i would assume whoever installed it went over everything and made sure it was to Directv standards so they didnt get a charge back. atleast i would hope for there benefit....

Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#5 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

With movers connection, you can also get a free upgrade to a Genie (with clients if you want more than one room)

#6 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:50 AM

It sounds like your current installation is non-SWM and your new location is SWM. When my son-in-law made this switch the installer could not get one of his receivers to switch over to SWM and had to replace it. He got an upgrade from a HR22 to an HR24. And if you try to switch from a SWM setup (one line per DVR) to the standard setup (two lines to DVR) you have a lot of cabling to mess with. It is just so much simpler to do the mover's deal.

And a side note. If your installer does a receiver switch, make sure you get full documentation on the receiver that he takes with him. My son-in-law did run into a problem with the installer not properly documenting that he had removed one of the receivers and DirecTV kept charging them for the "returned" receiver then wanted 130 bucks when they could not return it. So, just make sure you have good documentation on any changes your installer makes.

Just my thoughts.

#7 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:03 AM

It sounds like your current installation is non-SWM and your new location is SWM. 

The current location has to be SWM as the TS has a Genie (which requires SWM). Its the new location they are not 100% sure about, however since it was installed within a year or so there is a very good chance its SWM.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#8 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

The current location has to be SWM as the TS has a Genie (which requires SWM). Its the new location they are not 100% sure about, however since it was installed within a year or so there is a very good chance its SWM.

My bad. I did not read the signature line. I need to be more careful.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,703 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

And a side note. If your installer does a receiver switch, make sure you get full documentation on the receiver that he takes with him. My son-in-law did run into a problem with the installer not properly documenting that he had removed one of the receivers and DirecTV kept charging them for the "returned" receiver then wanted 130 bucks when they could not return it. So, just make sure you have good documentation on any changes your installer makes.

Just my thoughts.

Most of DirecTV techs are a paperless, so there is nothing the tech might be able to provide...

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

Well i got up there this afternoon and got to look around... there's only one line coming from the dish and while we where out there the guy that is moving came home from work... friendly guy btw... through a brief period of chatter he mentioned that he currently has a Genie and three clients on the system so at this point i am going to assume i can just take my receivers with me, hook them up and call Directv....

Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#11 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:13 PM

My bad. I did not read the signature line. I need to be more careful.

I did not read it either, hence my comment about the genie. Mea culpa.

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

Well i got up there this afternoon and got to look around... there's only one line coming from the dish and while we where out there the guy that is moving came home from work... friendly guy btw... through a brief period of chatter he mentioned that he currently has a Genie and three clients on the system so at this point i am going to assume i can just take my receivers with me, hook them up and call Directv....

Great news!

If you can get away without establishing new locations, it is little more than moving the boxes.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#13 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

I would definitely recommend not using the Mover's Connection deal if you don't think you need to.  If the current tennant already has a SWM setup, and already has coax in the locations you want your TVs then I day just move the receivers (and power inserter) yourself and then call DirecTV and have them update your service address.

If you need coax in different/more TV locations, then it is a question of if you are comfortable/capable of running them yourself.  If you are then I definitely say go ahead and do it your self.

Remember, if you use the Mover's Connection it comes with a 12 month commitment even if you don't have any receivers swapped out/added.  If you have any receivers swapped out/added then it will most likely be a 24 month commitment.  Moving the stuff yourself means no such commitment.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,703 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

I say a one year commitment is a small price to pay for a full supported and properly installed system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

I would definitely recommend not using the Mover's Connection deal if you don't think you need to.  If the current tennant already has a SWM setup, and already has coax in the locations you want your TVs then I day just move the receivers (and power inserter) yourself and then call DirecTV and have them update your service address.

If you need coax in different/more TV locations, then it is a question of if you are comfortable/capable of running them yourself.  If you are then I definitely say go ahead and do it your self.

Remember, if you use the Mover's Connection it comes with a 12 month commitment even if you don't have any receivers swapped out/added.  If you have any receivers swapped out/added then it will most likely be a 24 month commitment.  Moving the stuff yourself means no such commitment.

We just signed a 24 month commitment that was generated for the addition of the Genie so i am not really concerned about commitments. Being that we have had Directv for so long i don't think we are going anywhere anytime soon.

The only issue that bugs me about a tech coming out is our local techs insist on going around the system and cutting off the connectors and installing new one EVERY TIME. i mean i understand they can corrode in the weather over time but all of my outside connectors are in an weatherproof box!

Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,703 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

We just signed a 24 month commitment that was generated for the addition of the Genie so i am not really concerned about commitments. Being that we have had Directv for so long i don't think we are going anywhere anytime soon.

The only issue that bugs me about a tech coming out is our local techs insist on going around the system and cutting off the connectors and installing new one EVERY TIME. i mean i understand they can corrode in the weather over time but all of my outside connectors are in an weatherproof box!

you can blame this on your local QA team...

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

you can blame this on your local QA team...

Just wondering, is it some kinda requirement of them? I mean i can fully understand doing it if maybe they have not been there in a year or more but to do it when a tech just did it less than 6 months ago ... just keeps making the loops shorter and shorter....

Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,703 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

Just wondering, is it some kinda requirement of them? 

Yup, and a stupid one at best.  If you were to call in 30 days, the last tech can get in "trouble" just because he did not change the fittings

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

Yup, and a stupid one at best.  If you were to call in 30 days, the last tech can get in "trouble" just because he did not change the fittings

Wow, that petty eh? makes me wanna do all my own work even more now... except of course for dead receivers but for the time i called for myself or elderly family members i could never get them to "drop ship" one.. always insisted on a tech visit.

Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#20 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:36 AM

Wow, that petty eh? makes me wanna do all my own work even more now... except of course for dead receivers but for the time i called for myself or elderly family members i could never get them to "drop ship" one.. always insisted on a tech visit.

Good news for you now. I had two receivers conk out in the last few months. No problem getting D* to just ship a replacement and have me ship the old one back. Takes a day or two to get the receiver. Very simple now.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...