Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RG11 coupler

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chefwong

chefwong

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

Off topic, but let's say RG11 is extended with a standard F connector - PPC ex11 connectors are on it.

Do I defeat the the extended rum of Rg11 since the connector is now of Rg6 - wire gauge ?

In my application, I plan to extend/terminate the run in a different room - so I plan to use a coupler to extended it ...

Edited by chefwong, 15 January 2014 - 02:04 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,570 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

No, it doesn't matter. Loss is cumulative, not based on the most lossy component in a given run.

If you look at Sonora's site with all their high end MDU gear, you'll see a lot of color coded jumpers being used. The ones Sonora sells are RG59, because they know a short section of RG59 isn't a problem, even though these MDU installs are likely using RG11 for the trunk lines from the dish.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,975 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

In my application, I plan to extend/terminate the run in a different room - so I plan to use a coupler to extended it ...

Depending how much power is being drawn across it, an undersized coupler could represent a lightweight fuse. If the "fuse" blew, both the voltage and signal losses would become very, very high.

RG11 is mostly about ampacity. The RF characteristics aren't that much different.

The ampacity of 21ga RG6 is about 7 amps where the ampacity of 14ga RG11 is around 28 amps.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,570 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

RG6 uses a 18 gauge center conductor, not 21. Unless you're using it to carry power well beyond what is needed for any satellite related needs, even if it was only capable of carrying 7 amps that wouldn't be a problem when the most it needs to carry in a Directv environment is 1 amp.

Thus, the RF characteristics are exactly why people use it, not due to current carrying. Go look up the loss at satellite frequencies for RG6 versus RG11 and get back to us on your uninformed claim.

Edited by slice1900, 15 January 2014 - 04:16 PM.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

Protected By... spam firewall...And...