Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Questions about SL3K4NR1 and SWM16

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ourtoy

ourtoy

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

My current SWM system has an SL5S LNB on what the installer described as a Ka/Ku dish which is on the edge of the roof.   It has one cable ( approximately 20 feet) coming from the dish attached to a splitter in a box on an exterior wall  of the house.  I know that I am limited to 8 tuners using this system but I wish to use more than 8 tuners.  For this reason, I purchased a SL3K4NR1 and a SWM16 along with the 29V power inserter. Note:  I live in Florida where I get the Orlando locals and have read that I do not need the 110 and 119 satellites- thus 3 LNB should work.  My first question:  Will the SL3K4NR1 work on the arm of the dish that the SL5S LNB is installed?  that is, can I just replace the SL5S LNB with the SL3K4NR1?  I realize that I need to run 4 cables from the LNB to the SWM16 and then 2 cables from the SWM 16 to two splitters in the exterior box.  However, I am undecided where to mount the SWM16.  My second question:  When a SWM16 has to be mounted  externally, is there a typical location for its mounting?  that is, on the dish mast? or on a wall near the dish?  or on the wall near the splitters? 

Thank you for any input.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,272 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

You can replace the LNB as described. You can put the SWM16 wherever you wish, it is designed to withstand the elements outdoors. If you put it up by the dish you only have to add one coaxial cable to where your splitters are located, so that might be the easiest/cheapest location for it if you don't think it will be an eyesore. Just make sure you weatherproof all your connectors really well since you get rain there so often.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#3 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

My personal preference is to have the SMW-16 mounted inside the premises, however I realize that is not always possible for each to do. Keep in mind it is normal for them to be a little warm.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

and remember - you must run four coaxes from LNBF to the switch

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

Warm is the wrong word cool. :)

Use standoffs wherever you mount it so it's not flush on one side to anything and id try and mount it where it will always be in the shade if possible.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,276 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

switch placement depends where your ground source is.  you can use a ground block to ground the dish/cables or you can use the switch as a ground device.  if you use the SWM16 as a ground device, it can't be more than 20ft from the ground source.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall