I have some questions about the Hopper DVR and I am hoping you guys may have the answers.
(I have already tried forum search but I could not find the exact information I am seeking).
1) Does Hopper have any compatibility issues when using external hard drives formatted by a VIP622 or VIP722?
I remember reading some posts a long time ago that Hopper may be able to playback recorded shows from a EHD formatted by VIP722 but it has problem moving recorded shows to or from those EHDs.
So I am curious if those problems have been fixed in the current firmware.
2) Does Hopper support EHD greater than 2TB in capacity or does it support hard drives which use 4 KB sector size (aka Advanced Format)?
I have tried using 2 TB hard drives which use 4 KB sector size and my VIP622/722 cannot utilize the full capacity even though they are able format them. The problem is that once over 600 or 700 GB of data is filled on those EHD, eventually VIP722 will give me data transfer error when I attempt to move more recorded shows to the EHD. On the other hand, 2 TB hard drives which use 512 byte sector size are okay and I can fill those hard drives with as many recorded shows as possible.
So I am hoping Hopper can deal with hard drives with 4 KB sector size.
3) Can I create manual timers on Hopper DVR for specific daily or weekly hours similar to the manual timer function on VIP722?
Manual timer is important for my grand parents because they record and watch a lot of International TV shows but unfortunately Dish's EPG data for those international shows are often incorrect; either wrong TV show names or wrong hours. So name based timers cannot really be used for recording International TV shows.
4) Can I re-use my existing coax cables, satellite dish and LNBs for Hopper DVRs?
I currently have one VIP622 in the living room and one VIP722 in another room. Each DVR is connected to its own coax cable and those cables are connected to a DPP44 switch outside of my house.
If I replace both VIP DVRs with Hoppers, can I re-use the existing coax cables or do I have to run additional coax cables?
How will the so-called Node be connected and replace the DPP44?
I really don't want to drill additional holes on my walls or floors just to run additional cables.
5) How much better is the HD video quality when compared to a VIP722?
I have read posts that Hopper have superior HD video quality but I just cannot imagine it.
Can I hope for something on par with DirecTV or is Dish's HD lite something not even Hopper can compensate?
It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can provide some information.