Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is it a good idea to purchase my own VIP722/722K?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   saiyan

saiyan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

HI all,

I would like hear from those who purchased own their VIP722/722K DVRs.

It is worth it (for about $200)?

My current leased VIP722 is showing signs of pending hard drive failure (e.g. video/audio stuttering in recorded shows when recording multiple shows at once, unable to rewind OTA shows when all three tuners are recording ).  I spoke to Dish support about replacing my existing VIP722 with an identical model or even upgrade to 722K or 922 but I was told the available replacements they I can get are 622s and some other lower end models.  They said 722/722k/922 are not available for me.   They did recommend me to upgrade to Hopper though.

If I choose not to upgrade to Hopper and plan to use VIP722 for many years to come, and if hard drive failure is something I may have to deal with every couple years, is it worth to purchase my own VIP722 or VIP722K?

Given the information I have read, I would be able to replace the internal hard drive myself without dealing with Dish's customer support or waiting for replacement units to ship to me.

Any opinions on this subject is welcome.

Thank you.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

I don't know.  If they are telling you that they can't replace a leased 722 with a refurbished 722... then what happens if something else besides a hard drive fails?  You'd be stuck with a boat anchor.  Also, you're subject to whatever point in the future when they decide to stop supporting even having a 722 on an account.  That might be 2 years or 4 years or who knows.  They have slowly dropped support for older models as they move forward.

You might be able to get a free Hopper upgrade... and then you'd be on their most modern equipment.  Even if you had to pay something, you shouldn't have to pay anywhere near $200... they might even throw programming discounts at you for upgrading to the Hopper and extending your contract.

It's hard to encourage purchase of a 722 at that price for the reasons you're considering it.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:47 PM

If your leasing DISH owns the receiver and as long as you are a customer you will have a working receiver or a replacement on it's way.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,917 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:52 PM

just call and complain: your DVR doesn't work properly, you can't play recordings ... follow all steps what they will conduct you to execute and complain after that it's still not working - they will replace it

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

His problem appears to be that he tried to get a replacement but they told him (and we have heard this before) they couldn't give him a 722 to replace a failing 722... so he might end up with a 622, which would be a downgrade from what he currently has... so he was wondering about other options since he apparently can't get a direct replacement.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,917 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

he could accept an offer for 722k + MT-2

#7 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:48 PM

HI all,

I would like hear from those who purchased own their VIP722/722K DVRs.

It is worth it (for about $200)?

My current leased VIP722 is showing signs of pending hard drive failure (e.g. video/audio stuttering in recorded shows when recording multiple shows at once, unable to rewind OTA shows when all three tuners are recording ).  I spoke to Dish support about replacing my existing VIP722 with an identical model or even upgrade to 722K or 922 but I was told the available replacements they I can get are 622s and some other lower end models.  They said 722/722k/922 are not available for me.   They did recommend me to upgrade to Hopper though.

If I choose not to upgrade to Hopper and plan to use VIP722 for many years to come, and if hard drive failure is something I may have to deal with every couple years, is it worth to purchase my own VIP722 or VIP722K?

Given the information I have read, I would be able to replace the internal hard drive myself without dealing with Dish's customer support or waiting for replacement units to ship to me.

Any opinions on this subject is welcome.

Thank you.

saiyan,

I am more than happy to help you with all available options to get the receiver you want! If you were to get the VIP722, the cost would be around $249.

If you’re interested to see what the Hopper/Hopper w/Sling would be would you please Pm me with the phone number on the account to better help you.

Thanks

#8 ONLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

It seems strange that the 2nd receiver listed on the Dish DVRs page is the 722k, and yet they're saying they can't replace one.

#9 OFFLINE   saiyan

saiyan

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

His problem appears to be that he tried to get a replacement but they told him (and we have heard this before) they couldn't give him a 722 to replace a failing 722... so he might end up with a 622, which would be a downgrade from what he currently has... so he was wondering about other options since he apparently can't get a direct replacement.

Yes.. That was the issue.

I chatted with a Dish support rep on the web site about replacing my current VIP722 or possibly upgrade to 722K or 922,  I was provided a list of possible replacement DVRs and 622 was the highest model listed.  I was told 722, 722k and 922 were not available as replacements.

#10 OFFLINE   saiyan

saiyan

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

saiyan,

I am more than happy to help you with all available options to get the receiver you want! If you were to get the VIP722, the cost would be around $249.

If you’re interested to see what the Hopper/Hopper w/Sling would be would you please Pm me with the phone number on the account to better help you.

Thanks

Hi MIke,

I have another thread in the Hopper forum asking about the Hopper system.

Once I have gathered enough information and if everyone in my household would like to upgrade to Hopper, I will let you know.

Thank you.

Edited by saiyan, 16 January 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,917 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

now check your options with local DIRT representative, they could be much better

Edited by P Smith, 16 January 2014 - 02:26 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   saiyan

saiyan

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

For those wondering about the replacement DVRs I inquired about,  here is an excerpt from my chat with a customer support:

(Dish customer support): Upon checking, 622, 612, 222, 211, 522 and 512 are the only ones that we can replace with your VIP722.
(Me): So my current VIP722 DVR cannot even be replaced with another VIP722 ?
(Dish customer support): We don't offer any upgrades with 722 and 922 as of now, but since you're a valued customer, if you want I can give you a Hopper upgrade with no upgrade fee.

Dish customer support did offer me an upgrade to Hopper and that was the reason I posted some questions in the Hopper forum for more information.
Also the free upgrade mentioned is available only if I have the "protection plan".
When I mention I do not have the protection plan, I was quoted a one-time $95 upgrade fee.

#13 ONLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 866 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

I think the protection plan is around 7 or 8 bucks a month and you must keep it for three months if you use it.  That is a lot less than the $95 so that is what everyone does prior to the upgrade.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,917 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:55 PM

seems to me there happened misinterpretation of your needs: 'Replacement' somehow been transformed to 'Upgrade'

I would insist to replace non-working 722

#15 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

Mikr H is quoting a $249 fee to replace your 722, I think P Smith is right DISH is talking an upgrade fee not a repair replacement fee.

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

Maybe Mike.H here can offer better help.  There has been conflicting info at times through the CSRs over the phone.  Though I do remember a few years ago when I attempted to upgrade a 622 to a 722 and was sent a 622!  And I was given a new 2-year contract and everything, until I called and complained and asked what the point in that was from my perspective?  They ultimately backed down on the 2-year extension... but I was stuck with that 622.

It isn't my only receiver, but it was my oldest and I was wanting to upgrade it... only to find out they couldn't guarantee it.  I had always thought that if a receiver failed they would exchange you at least for the same or better... but it sounds like the thread starter here was not being told that.

So it could have been a mistake... or it could be a weird new Dish policy.

#17 OFFLINE   Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

I have found that I sometimes get different answers to the same question depending on who I talk to at Dish.

But I agree, he'd be "replacing" a 722 with another 722, not "upgrading".  Maybe they aren't understanding that.

#18 OFFLINE   naustin

naustin

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

Maybe the problem in the replacement versus upgrade on a failing 722 is that the original poster doesn't have the Protection Plan.  I wasn't aware DISH would replace failing equipt outside the contract period if you didn't have the Protection Plan.  If they will, whats the value is spending money for the Protection Plan each month?

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,917 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

so don't spend the money if you are value them ... the boxes works fine for many years after 2 years period

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

Maybe the problem in the replacement versus upgrade on a failing 722 is that the original poster doesn't have the Protection Plan.  I wasn't aware DISH would replace failing equipt outside the contract period if you didn't have the Protection Plan.  If they will, whats the value is spending money for the Protection Plan each month?

That makes no sense.

If Dish didn't replace failed equipment outside of the contract period, then nobody would ever stay past the contract when equipment fails.  It behooves Dish to replace failed leased equipment if they want you to stay a subscriber.  In fact, Dish needs you to stay a subscriber past your contract to really make a profit off of you.

The protection plan offers some additional coverage for usually more expensive service work... but it is in their own best interest to replace failed leased equipment with working equipment in order to keep you paying a monthly bill.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...