Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is it a good idea to purchase my own VIP722/722K?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   naustin

naustin

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

I realise DISH needs long term subscribers to make money (I've subscribed for many yrs) and that generally replacing a receiver starts a new contract cycle. Here's the DISH site wording on the Protection Plan.  The whole subject is a little confusing...

24-hours-a-day, 7-days-a-week - need fast assistance? We're here to answer your questions.

Replacement Equipment

Most problems are solved with a simple phone call. If the problem is isolated to the receiver, and it cannot be fixed on the call, we'll send a replacement receiver directly to you. Just return the old receiver. The Protection Plan covers full replacement and shipping costs. It's as simple as that!

Video Cabling & Power Surge Repairs

If a power surge damages your DISH receiver or inside video cabling, we will replace or repair it for free.

In-Home Service

If we're unable to solve your problem with a technical support call, we'll send someone out to help you. Our nationwide service network ensures you're covered no matter where you live. An authorized technician will come to you for only $15. Just give us a call, and we'll schedule an appointment at a time that's convenient for you.

Edited by naustin, 18 January 2014 - 11:39 AM.

#22 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

The protection plan reduces or eliminates some costs...  it doesn't prevent Dish from replacing failed receivers if you don't pay for it.  IF Dish didn't replaced failed receivers without you subscribing to the protection plan then they would either lose a LOT of customers regularly OR would just add the cost of the protection plan to the normal subscription rates.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#23 OFFLINE   saiyan

saiyan

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

Okay.. So I contacted Dish Network again.

This time I called and spoke to a customer support and I was able to get a VIP722 replacment.

So it look like different customer support rep may give you different information.

#24 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

That's good.  I had to think surely you were getting some misinformation because it seemed odd that they couldn't replace a failed 722 with another 722.  There have to be a lot of 622/722 receivers out there that surely their only option isn't to push Hoppers onto them.

I think the Hopper is good, but it is more expensive than a 622/722 and if you don't need the extra features, it is a shame to not be able to keep going as you are.

Though I guess there will come a time that they will not want to keep refurbishing the 622/722 series I suppose.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#25 OFFLINE   saiyan

saiyan

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

I was thinking about upgrading to Hoppers but after consulting with other family members, the elder family members don't want to re-learn new equipment or DVR interface.  They are pretty comfortable using the VIP622/722 DVR.   Also I have been thinking about cord-cutting myself because 70% of TV I watch are prime time TV shows on the big four network.  Most Cable TV shows I watch are available on Netflix or Amazon instant video.

So perhaps one day I will downgrade my Dish subscription to a lower package (Dish America) and keep just one Dish DVR so other family members can continue to watch their International TV shows.  Then I will probably get a OTA DVR such as the new 4-tuner Tablo DVR for prime time TV shows and watch everything else on Netflix/Amazon..  

Well.  That is one possible plan for me.  I will see what happens to my monthly bill after the rumored rate increase this year..

Edited by saiyan, 21 January 2014 - 04:13 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

Not to mention that the Hopper with a Joey costs more per month than a 722/722K.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

spam firewall