Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Whole Home ques & can a networked HR24 display the screen from a laptop on the same network?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   challenger

challenger

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

I've scoured the internet looking for this. All I can find is information about using a laptop as a TV but nothing about using the TV that is hooked up to a HDDVR  to display the screen of a laptop on the same home network. I understand there is supposed to be a way to display photos, video etc from a computer to the HDDVR/TV and I've yet to figure this out but I'm more interested in using the TV on my HR24 as a slave display for my laptop.

I have 2 HR24 units but only one is hooked up to the LAN router via ethernet cable. There is no other equipment from directv involved with any of my two receivers. I've read a lot about DECA boxes and SLIM receivers until my head spins and I still don't understand the whole thing. My units both have two RG-6 cables going to them so maybe there are newer units that have only one?

The laptop is running Win7

I've had Directv since the very first unit came out and I sometimes wonder why I am such a fan of self destruction.

BTW-this all started when I saw I could just pay $3.00/month for Whole Home. I got it activated and then spent hours trying to get it to work. I talked with two technical reps and got two answers on how to NOT solve the problem. The obligatory umpteen minute resets and reinitializations are always a joy. I made this easy though and told them to cancel the Whole Home service after two lame attempts to "fix" the issue.

Does directv offer ANY training to the technical people other than resetting and initializing? The second person stated that they would have to send out a service person because the IP addresses of the two receivers I was trying to use was not the same. This seemed very fishy to me. She also said there was absolutely no other equipment needed for whole home other than the two receivers that I have???

Sorry so long_I hope I can get some help please???

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

Ok you have several things going on here.

One. There are zero ways to use your hr to get your laptop on screen. Doesn't exist. You are best hooking it up directly to your tv, or buying a device specifically made for such things.

Two. For Whole Home Service with your current setup you need to have both DVRs plugged into your home network. Then it will work as long as they are connected to the same router. This way will work just fine but technically isn't approved.

Three. Deca works with swim installs which you don't have. Swim uses one wire to each box not two. In That system you would connect one Ethernet cable to a small box that connects to a coax anywhere in the system and then all the boxes would have network connection. That is the only approved way to do it.

Four. The customer service was having a hard time because not only are you not connected right for the method you are currently attempting to use but your method that your trying now is completely unsupported and is only really understood by a handful of people. It's never trained to connect that way nor should it be really.
  • challenger likes this

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

Oh and I bet one IP address is in the 169 and the other maybe 198 or something of that matter. They likely didn't mean the same ip but rather in the same network. Which you wouldn't have now base on what you have told us.

#4 OFFLINE   challenger

challenger

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

Ok you have several things going on here.

One. There are zero ways to use your hr to get your laptop on screen. Doesn't exist. You are best hooking it up directly to your tv, or buying a device specifically made for such things.

Two. For Whole Home Service with your current setup you need to have both DVRs plugged into your home network. Then it will work as long as they are connected to the same router. This way will work just fine but technically isn't approved.

Three. Deca works with swim installs which you don't have. Swim uses one wire to each box not two. In That system you would connect one Ethernet cable to a small box that connects to a coax anywhere in the system and then all the boxes would have network connection. That is the only approved way to do it.

Four. The customer service was having a hard time because not only are you not connected right for the method you are currently attempting to use but your method that your trying now is completely unsupported and is only really understood by a handful of people. It's never trained to connect that way nor should it be really.

Thanks_ i'll clarify. The way it was hooked up was with the cables only at the time I called about Whole Home. I only opted for networking one receiver when I figured I could not get Whole Home. I understand the LAN cable networking is not supported by Directv and I should have stated this but I've not had to contact Directv since running the ethernet cable to the one receiver and if I need to I'll be sure to NOT mention the way it is connected to my home network.

If I hook up the other HR24 to my network can I get Whole Home functionality AND the "advantages" that having the HDDVR on my network gives me? I thought I remember reading that these two goodies were mutually exclusive??

Thanks for setting me straight. I should have made my first post more informative.

I am clear now regarding the inability to have my laptop mirrored to the directv. Can you offer an opinion as to why I can share any Win7 files with the HR24? I know this is a worn out topic but I figured I'd ask for a quick & dirty check list.

Thanks

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,289 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

MediaShare only works with the following file types

JPEG, MPEG and MP3 file formats\\     and files must be in your public folder
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...